36' MT Europa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Islanddreamer

Vessel Name
Harmony
Vessel Make
Pacemaker 1990 37' Convertible
Looking at an MT. Not sure of the proper name for the flybridge supports on the sides of the Europa, but the fiberglass is cracked and the wood expanded increasing the cracks.

They will need replacement soon. Does anyone know how much load bearing they do? Boat surveyed in 2014 and hull is solid. Naturally leaking around windows, etc. If I buy this, two supports will have to be replaced - cutting them out and replacing them isn't too much trouble, but don't want to exert undue stress on other superstructure members.

Boat is a dirty mess. Seller could have helped themselves by cleaning the interior up for photos. Power seems solid but will be getting it checked out anyway.

Present owner had all through hull fittings replaced, new sanitation, some electronics. Some of the floor is a little spongy at V-berth and on bow deck by windlass.

Love the look of the boat and have help with fiberglass and I can do the woodwork. Want to avoid too many core issues.

Hold or run?

mike

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Those pieces are called decorator bars although I'm sure other members will chime in with their descriptive regional names for said pieces.

Fashion Plates is another term.

They look nice but they need work (replacing). I'm seeing the boat again on Saturday with my son who is a fiberglass whiz. I don't mind working on a boat - I just need to keep from making a large mistake.

It will also need to be de-funked and de-junked. My wife and I call them "yard sale boats" - looks like they brought unsold backwash from a flea market. I'll need lots of sandpaper and polyurethane...

Do they (the decorator bars) actually hold anything up? Looking at it yesterday and navigating past the decorator bars made me realize I need to exercise more or else I'll be like Winnie the Pooh in the honey tree. Knowing my wife she would let me hang there long enough to take a cell picture if I actually got stuck...

The proper name for them is pilasters, and yes, they are load bearing.

The proper name for them is pilasters, and yes, they are load bearing.

But not a lot of load, as the bulk of the upper deck is supported by the cabin top. Certainly no risk of removal to replace or repair as long as no-one goes up and does the Highland Fling near the unsupported edge.

There's one on YW - 34' where the owner removed the pilasters and replaced them with mahogany. Not a bad look.

Has anyone had the need to replace the aft portion of the fly bridge/ upper deck? The one I am looking at had some delamination of the lower edge of the underneath of deck.

"Has anyone had the need to replace the aft portion of the fly bridge/ upper deck? The one I am looking at had some delamination of the lower edge of the underneath of deck".

A friend had the same delamination issue, same boat. He removed the teak trim / rub rail that covers the inner and outer glass seam along the edge of the roof. He then was able to pry the two apart enough to dig out the rotted wood back to solid wood. He then measured a new piece of ply, soaked it in resin and slid it in. Solid as a rock now.

I replaced most of mine (4 out f 6) on my MT 34 Europa. Not a difficult job. They are not load bearing, only decorative.

Yesterday all of this became a moot point. My offer was rejected and seller is insisting on holding his number. Its a shame as I'm not certain he's seen the boat in the last year or understands the extent of the deterioration. Its on the hard with water nearly to the parquet in the lower cabin. More rain and it will become a submarine.

I appreciate all of the assistance and advice here. This is a great and helpful forum, and after I see a 36' Albin this weekend I'm sure I'll have more questions!

Mike in Maryland

Back
Top Bottom