View Single Post
Old 03-05-2016, 07:40 PM   #295
N4061
Guru

Tenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Curious as to the detachment from the water. I think speed helps us avoid it, especially when the weather allows us outdoors. However, we also have been accused of using our tenders/dinghies/RIB's more than any others. Much like what your center console did for you. So, what type dinghy/tender do you plan and how much will you use it other than simply to get to shore?
Detachment from the water was to translate the boat was too large or tall providing a feeling that we were on a cruise ship of sort and no way near the water. This is a gross exaggeration but I think it explains the feeling. I want to be closer to the water (like on sail boat) until things get rough then I'll be wishing for bigger, much bigger so I will be watching the weather forecasts a little closer.

Regarding a tender choice we are not sure. We had excellent experience with a 9' Caribe inflatable soft bottom which believe it or not we purchased long before the Nordies and called it our "Boat in a bag". We would put the boat in the back of the PT Cruiser and the gas tank / oars / ropes in a car carrier on top of the car and take that boat to all the the southern California harbors for a day out on the water. Talk about simplicity and great fun! You have me thinking we may have gone overboard with the H38PH.

I like the Caribe's for their larger tubes but go with their hard bottom rib model. I also like the look of the Whitetail (?) composite rowing boats with teak trim (Mary doesn't care for the look) so I'm not sure yet. The tender will be used for pre-dinner cruises inside the marina, transportation from the boat to the dingy dock at Catalina Island and other anchorages. Nothing too serious and it only needs to accommodate the two of us plus Daisy (she weighs 7 lbs). A small 10hp OB is all the power we need. Again, keeping it simple.

John
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote