View Single Post
Old 03-05-2016, 05:42 PM   #292
N4061
Guru

Boats Tops

I believe a while back we discussed our options related to the type and style of covering we wanted over the flybridge. The boat arrives without any type of canvas or fixed structure so we are fortunate to be working with a blank piece of paper in this area of the boat. At first I envisioned a simple folding canvas Bimini top over the two pedestal seats then Mary suggested something to cover the large L-shaped seating area behind the chairs. This quickly turned into an all new designed fiberglass hard top which Scott was open to discuss. The more research I put into this the more I decided (again) "simpler is better" and we have decided not to pursue the hard top. Our primary reasoning was my concern of adding weight and surface area or windage high up and its potentially negative impact on the boat especially in rough weather.

The other issue which I struggled with was the over all change in appearance a large hard top with side support structures would have on the boat. I spent some time looking at the current trend of many trawler builders who are adding (in my opinion) something relatively "sleek" to a more tradition designed boat and I didn't like the mixed look.

So at this point we are leaning towards a single, relatively long canvas top that covers both the flybridge and aft seating area which we can fold up when not in use. We will have custom coverings made for the entire flybridge area to help keep the sun and occasional rain off the fiberglass and materials. Since our previous canvas maker retired we will be searching for another company we can work with on this project along with all the pilothouse window coverings. That's about it on canvas.

John
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote