Nova Kool Refrigerator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xsbank

Guru
Vessel Name
Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Make
Custom Aluminum 52
I bought one a year ago and I have a review for anyone who is contemplating same. I bought the rfu9000. I paid extra for the stainless door as the black door comes standard. The stainless is good quality but it does not fit tightly in the door.
The crisper drawers are cheap and flimsy and the ones that came with my fridge were not the ones shown in the brochure. I complained and they sent me two originals but they are just a different shape and just as crappy.
The worst thing about it is if you make it cold enough to freeze stuff in the freezer compartment, it freezes all the food in the crisper too. If you raise the temperature so food doesn't freeze in the fridge part, any food outside of the freezer "loop" will not freeze. I had to throw out hamburger and sausages because they were not frozen but they were in the freezer box.
I called then to ask for help and the suggestion was to "raise the crisper above the floor of the fridge or put a piece of insulation under the crisper." Really?

My old fridge, which this one replaced, was so crapped out I cannot compare the operation so I can't make any recommendations to you about a better fridge freezer, but this one was not worth the money, I wish I had my old one back. The only advantage to the new one is it looks good and matches the decor.

I should have just reupholstered the settee!

Can a mod please correct the spelling in the title for me, I can't edit it.

Thanks Xsbank, owners reviews of products are very valuable to the forum. Been there done that is great feedback.

Thanks as well - great feedback and relevant as we are contemplating replacing our ancient Norcold with, if memory serves, the same Nova Kool model.

Perfect Timing

Thanks for the review Xsbank.

We're currently shopping for a new refrigerator and had NovaKool near the top of the list. We'll continue shopping and comparing models. Lack of quality customer service and technical advise is the most troubling part of your shared experience with NovaKool.

Tim

Can't speak for the RFU9000, but 2 years ago I bought their single door freezer and a single door refrigerator. Both have been great. I had to call them once and they were very helpful.

Maybe I was just lucky. And, maybe the RFU9000 is just not designed or built as well?

Can't speak for the RFU9000, but 2 years ago I bought their single door freezer and a single door refrigerator. Both have been great. I had to call them once and they were very helpful.

Maybe I was just lucky. And, maybe the RFU9000 is just not designed or built as well?

Well thats makes two of us......:thumb:

I bought one a year ago and I have a review for anyone who is contemplating same. I bought the rfu9000. I paid extra for the stainless door as the black door comes standard. The stainless is good quality but it does not fit tightly in the door.
The crisper drawers are cheap and flimsy and the ones that came with my fridge were not the ones shown in the brochure. I complained and they sent me two originals but they are just a different shape and just as crappy.
The worst thing about it is if you make it cold enough to freeze stuff in the freezer compartment, it freezes all the food in the crisper too. If you raise the temperature so food doesn't freeze in the fridge part, any food outside of the freezer "loop" will not freeze. I had to throw out hamburger and sausages because they were not frozen but they were in the freezer box.
I called then to ask for help and the suggestion was to "raise the crisper above the floor of the fridge or put a piece of insulation under the crisper." Really?

My old fridge, which this one replaced, was so crapped out I cannot compare the operation so I can't make any recommendations to you about a better fridge freezer, but this one was not worth the money, I wish I had my old one back. The only advantage to the new one is it looks good and matches the decor.

I should have just reupholstered the settee!

Can a mod please correct the spelling in the title for me, I can't edit it.
I just installed a RFU9000, no problems so far. A friend has the net size smaller, same configuration and put the tray that was in the freezer under the crisper tray. They really like theirs also. Maybe the tray under the crisper will help your problem.

Had an RFU9000 in the last boat for 3 years. The key to solving the freezing with stuff in the refrigerator portion is to put a piece of foil covered bubble wrap on the bottom of the refrigerator portion. Or better yet two pieces. Made a world of difference in how it worked.

XsBank, here is another possible solution. This is a new product that I learned about on the Panbo site called the Fridge Optimizer. I just ordered one and haven't received it yet but it looks like it may cure the problems of uneven temps in the NovaCool. Keeping a record of what is happening inside the fridge and the defrost function alone may make it worth the $200. Check it out here:

SLFO-ACDC-122401 Fridge Optimizer - Programmable Thermostatic Control & Monitor AC/DC

XsBank, here is another possible solution. This is a new product that I learned about on the Panbo site called the Fridge Optimizer. I just ordered one and haven't received it yet but it looks like it may cure the problems of uneven temps in the NovaCool. Keeping a record of what is happening inside the fridge and the defrost function alone may make it worth the $200. Check it out here:

SLFO-ACDC-122401 Fridge Optimizer - Programmable Thermostatic Control & Monitor AC/DC

Very interesting. Let us know how well it works.

We have a RFU9000 and it has worked flawlessly for the last two years. If we get lazy and don't defrost it when we should we need to turn the thermostat down to keep things cold. Then, after we defrost it, if we are not smart enough to re-adjust the thermostat, we will freeze items in the crisper tray. I can't blame the fridge for that.
Ice stays frozen in the freezer with out a problem.

We replaced the plastic door panels with teak plywood, it's a nice tight fit.

The Fridge Optimizer is on our list to buy as is almost worth $200 not to have to deal with defrosting the thing every month or so, although we have that task down to a "science".

Have had a small Nova on my lobster boat for 8-9 years now. Installed in place of a larger Norcold so added 4" extra foam all around. I love it, can't hear it run, beer always cold. Forgot to turn it off when I put my boat on its mooring, left it on for a week; beer cold, battery (1 size 29) still up.

Terrific review! I was at the point of ordering one but now will definitely go the Vitrifrigo route. (Whew!) :dance:

Terrific review! I was at the point of ordering one but now will definitely go the Vitrifrigo route. (Whew!) :dance:
Kinda where I am...but is the Vitrifrigo really any better?

Same compressor as the Norcold, Norcold has thermostat controls on the outside, is the hardware or fit and finish really better? People have reviewed the Nova Cool as much better ...until this review.

Sale on fridges at Defender....but at $1500 for a fridge, I guess I am going to eyeball and touch them all as the reviews are all over the place on all of them.

"put a piece of insulation under the crisper." Really?"

Why not? , the reason it is not factory installed is probably that it takes up space and many of these RV fridges are sold on advertised internal volume.

How does the Amps per day compare with your old fridge .

What IS the daily amp usage while anchored out?

My friend's Vitrifrigo has the controls inside the frig on the back wall. Not good if the frig is well stocked and you want to change the setting. The freezer gets really cold and does not seem to freeze the food in the frig. I don't like the handles on the Vitrifrigo as well as the Norcold but the bottom line is that it does its job!

Sorry about the sideways frig but I can't seem to correct it! It's upright before I upload it to the TF.

Attachments

• flip2.jpg
    flip2.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 240
Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I still have to touch and see.

I think the last fridge thread, Baker said the Norcold was cheezy, but with the Danfoss compressor did the job also.

If they are that close, saving another $300 on shipping might just steer me back to Norcold.

We have two OEM-installed (2002) NovaKool fridges. The larger is a side-by-side RFS7501 (freezer one side, smaller door; fridge on the other side). Smaller is an R2600 (very small internal freezer area).

Both have worked fine. We need to do our part a bit better, defrost about once/year more often than we remember to...

But otherwise, they've seemed primo.

-Chris

Thanks Chris.....

Now if I could only find the local marine appliance store for a side by side comparison. :D

You'll remember the beer was adequately chilled.

:)

-Chris

I remember quite clearly....next fallI I may find more time to kick around the Chesapeake.

Hopefully I can reciprocate from my shiny new fridge....:thumb:

I purchased a Sea Freeze refrigerator a couple years ago as it fit in the same cutout as the old Nordcold, however I have the same problem that you have. In order to keep freezer cold enough to freeze ice cream (below -15) everything on the top shelf of the refrigerator freezes. Worse in the summer time than winter. I think it is just poor insulation between freezer and refrigerator.

I put a Novacool in my Bayliner

I put a Novacool in my Bayliner. I bought it based on reputation and the fact that the compressor location was vented to the front of the unit. Mine had the freezer on the bottom. It froze things in the freezer compartment just fine, however the upper section wasn't cold enough for the Central Valley heat. I also had problems with the coolant tube inside the refrigerator section icing up. Customer service was pleasant and helpful but they were not able to correct the issue. The unit probably would have been fine if the freezer had been at the top.

Really? This is only one person who is dissatisfied with a product. I guarantee that any product ever sold will have at least on dissatisfied customer.

A Nova Kool is the original refrigerator/freezer in my boat and it is still going strong after sixteen years. Never a problem. So - that makes one dissatisfied owner and at least one satisfied owner.

Now what are you going to do?

Same compressor as the Norcold, Norcold has thermostat controls on the outside, is the hardware or fit and finish really better? People have reviewed the Nova Cool as much better ...until this review.

Sale on fridges at Defender....but at $1500 for a fridge, I guess I am going to eyeball and touch them all as the reviews are all over the place on all of them.

Actually I think it is.
When I was doing my research, Vitrifrigo's were all made in Italy, while Isotherm has some built in China.

Picturing Italians supervising Chinese production provided hours of entertainment.

MY BIG recommendation is to go with the external compressors. Danfoss 35F I have the side by side units.

Bought them in FL for $2300 for both and that included multi voltage option for $200.

I have remote thermometers in each and they are extremely consistent and use a bit less than 120 amps for 24 hours or 1440 watts/24 hours.

I keep the freezer at 3 degrees F an fridge at 41.

Actually I think it is.
When I was doing my research, Vitrifrigo's were all made in Italy, while Isotherm has some built in China.

Picturing Italians supervising Chinese production provided hours of entertainment.

MY BIG recommendation is to go with the external compressors. Danfoss 35F I have the side by side units.

Bought them in FL for $2300 for both and that included multi voltage option for $200.

I have remote thermometers in each and they are extremely consistent and use a bit less than 120 amps for 24 hours or 1440 watts/24 hours.

I keep the freezer at 3 degrees F an fridge at 41.

Thanks Richard...

But like many boats...my refrigerator options are less than engine replacement options unless a whole galley makeover is in order.

I would love a couple top loaders set up correctly with good insulation...I could run them every other year...:D...but alas, what fits, goes in...good or bad and the pack has pretty well evened out as far as efficiency and crappy hardware. :eek:

A Nova Kool is the original refrigerator/freezer in my boat and it is still going strong after sixteen years. Never a problem. So - that makes one dissatisfied owner and at least one satisfied owner.

Now what are you going to do?
I just repaired the top freezer hinge on my Norcold. The top hinge of the freezer door was sloppy, allowing the door to be misaligned when closed. Thus, not allowing the seal to fully contact the freezer frame. (A small piece of paper inserted on all 4 sides of the door, when closed, indicated where the seal was not contacting the frame properly.) I inserted a bushing (ACE Hardware) in the hinge & that stopped the door sag (sloppy pin in hinge) All seems well at the present time.

Now, to answer your question!

When the Norcold decides to quit, I will buy a VitrifrigoI (I've spent more time researching refrigerators than I care to admit) :blush:

Attachments

• NorCold.jpg
    NorCold.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 131

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom