Pinhole leak in exhaust riser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doc

Guru
I noticed a drip of rust in the bilge and followed up to the exhaust riser. I applied JB Weld to the well scuffed up area around the hole and took the boat out for a ride. The leak came back.*

I have found a new one in Seattle for $885.00 plus freight, a repair place in Alabama the will re weld the seam for $300.00 and a rebuilder in Washington that says that it is probably pitted on the inside and will totally rebuild it for about $600.00.

The reason why I love boats is because I just spent close to $800 on a new bow thruster joy stick and an 8D AGM to operate it. I wish that I had been better at golf back when I was chosing a life time hobby.

Attachments

• hpim0822.jpg
    hpim0822.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 114
  • hpim0823.jpg
    hpim0823.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 119
Doc - I'd recommend a new shower/exhaust elbow. I had the same thing happen a few months ago, a pinhole leak led to the discovery of worn out elbow. I wish mine only cost $8XX dollars.

Dependent upon use, 5 to 10 years on an exhaust elbow*seems the norm. Just*sitting wears them out too - mine were 8 years old with 1000 hours. *How long did yours make it?

I have had the boat for 6 years. From 1170 hours when I bought it to 2250 now. I assume that it is the original one. If so, that would be 11 years.

Replace it and any others at the same time. If it perforates on the inside, it'll fill your engine(s) with salt water and you'll be looking at a rebuild. Don't ask me how I know this.
no.gif

Replace the elbow/riser. If it's pitted the rest of it is ready to go.
Call Marine Manifold Corp on Long Island. They can make one to your sketch.
Ask for Paul.

I agree, replace now before water leaks into the engine.*
You might try Scott at* http://nmexhaust.com/ He has built several custom exhaust systems for commercial re-powers I worked on, and they were well built.............Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller wrote:

I agree, replace now before water leaks into the engine.*
You might try Scott at* http://nmexhaust.com/ He has built several custom exhaust systems for commercial re-powers I worked on, and they were well built.............Arctic Traveller
Scott rebuilt our last exhaust manifold with hi-nickel SS, and it's still going good.* Pulled it out last year after 5 years and had him inspect it at his shop.

For most exhaust manifolds, you're on borrowed time after 5-7 years.

Jay N - You said exhaust manifolds, did you mean elbows?

I have been talking to Scott at nmexhaust and have a price. I will replace one way or another. No need to mess around with something this serious.

sunchaser wrote:

Jay N - You said exhaust manifolds, did you mean elbows?
Yep.* Sorry about that.

We went thru this experience last spring, took the boat over to a local yard for a bottom job and came back with new exhaust system! To his credit, the yard owner called and asked me to come by and take a look at the elbows. I had replaced a 4' "flexible" hose on the starboard engine in the fall as I had spotted a leak. I had enough hose to do the port exhaust and asked the yard to replace it while the boat was there. When I did the starboard line, I did not look into the elbow, if I had, I would have spotted the rust holes. Small but sure to grow. The yard had removed the port line and stopped there as that elbow was rusting thru. We ended up rebuilding the turbos as well, 19 years and 2000 hours with no mention in the log of any work done to the turbos (we've had the boat 3 yrs). *And no, it was not inexpensive but a failure underway would have been costlier.Stiil, Doc, I have played a fair amount of golf and while it is less costly than boating it is a lot more frustrating; I have never had the urge to throw the boat into a water hazard! 'Course it sorta lives in one.

There are lots of compamies that make/sell exhaust parts .

No need , if you shop , to pay OEM prices.

Back
Top Bottom