Useful life?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
Saw an article on the new Helmsman Camano for 2016. equipped with a Hyundai Seasall diesel engine. Being unfamiliar with that engine I went on the Hyundai Seasall web page for more info. Accordin' to the data plate:
Application: Recreational
Useful Life: 1,000 hours or ten years.
Can anyone explain the short (to me) life span?

I'd say it must be a typo, bad translation, or advertising exec who wants to be fired.

For an inboard diesel engine, that is very short, IMHO. That is similar to the old mercruiser engines cooled with raw seawater.

If it is a CRD, then they have lots more moving parts like high pressure fuel pumps, computer controlled injectors and sensors all around. A failure in nearly any part of that system means it won't run.

Are there other engine options?

Greetings,
I've got a leaf blower that meets California emission codes for that particular tool BUT only for the first 50 hours. Still runs great but in California, it would probably be legally past it's useful life.

RTF
I have a couple of carseats for the grandkids that are past their Californian best before dates. Luckily for me, on Saltspring Island they won't cause cancer.

Koliver-yep, they only cause cancer in Californians. I wonder if anyone is doing research as to why only Californians?

RTF
I have a couple of carseats for the grandkids that are past their Californian best before dates. Luckily for me, on Saltspring Island they won't cause cancer.

Assuming they are organic seats. Could be very serious...

CSWTC8vUEAAdSRN.jpg

- Dwight

Saw an article on the new Helmsman Camano for 2016. equipped with a Hyundai Seasall diesel engine. Being unfamiliar with that engine I went on the Hyundai Seasall web page for more info. Accordin' to the data plate:
Application: Recreational
Useful Life: 1,000 hours or ten years.
Can anyone explain the short (to me) life span?

You're only going to get an accurate answer from the manufacturer of the engine. That is indeed very short. And "years" is meaningless. The number of years an engine lasts is based on how many hours per year it is run. Even "hours" would depend on how the engine is used and maintained.

The accordin' to their spec sheets the engine has a lot of aluminum in it, includin' aluminum heads. The block is not cast iron but some kind of graphite iron alloy. They make a big deal out of the lightness of the engine. You get a super light engine but the trade-off is a short life span?

1000 hours? We put that on our Camano in the first 4 years. It had 1800 hours on it when we sold it. We are still averaging over 200 hours a year with our Mainship.

Greetings,
I've got a leaf blower that meets California emission codes for that particular tool BUT only for the first 50 hours. Still runs great but in California, it would probably be legally past it's useful life.

Humph CA

As others have said the "useful life" reference is meaningless.
I can tell you there are countless Hyundai engines installed in commercial craft.
Hyundai's commercial product is as strong as anyone else's & they have a large range of diesel engines, I wouldnt think twice about having a commercial grade Hyundai engine in my boat but dont know how easy it might prove to fix there if required.
I dont know what Seasall is other than maybe a marketing brand for leisure craft ?? also dont know what engine you are referencing, several different Seasall series as I know. Some (the smaller engines) will no doubt be marinised versions of industrial / truck diesels, of course that isn't any different to what Cummins and others do....
BUT if its got aluminium heads etc for "lightweight" that usually goes with "high output" and other kiss of death phrases that do not normally equate with longevity.
If the block material you read about was CGI that is a superior material, you shouldn't worry about that.

"Useful life" is a term used for emissions compliance only. Sort of like how a typical engine is used. 1000hr in 10yr is close to typical.

The "useful life" term has absolutely NOTHING to do with how long the engine will last.

"Useful life" is a term used for emissions compliance only. Sort of like how a typical engine is used. 1000hr in 10yr is close to typical.

The "useful life" term has absolutely NOTHING to do with how long the engine will last.

That's sort of like when a "Lifetime Guarantee" is stated for products. The lifetime referred to is not your lifetime but rather it connotes the generally premised life of the product. As an averaged effect to cover most products the words "Lifetime Guarantee" is legally described as seven years from date of purchase... unless otherwise specified in the "fine" print.

:popcorn:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom