View Single Post
Old 02-28-2016, 07:59 PM   #1
healhustler
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Best interior wall panel yet

With all the junk that you have to wade through when you Google something now, it seems ever more difficult to reach the specific products one needs for boat solutions.

Ever since I completed the saloon window replacement with larger windows and replaced the surrounding moisture-warped teak, I've been searching for a thin but waterproof wallboard large enough to do a 9 ft. x 4 ft. wall without seams, or, some waterproof tongue & groove beadboard, all with the idea of covering the seams of the repair while maintaining the look of the only non-teak wall surface in the entire boat.

After a couple of failed attempts with other stuff, I found this 3/8 X 96 X 16 honeycomb core, tongue & groove PVC wall panels. They are reversible with gloss finish on one side and flat on the other. The color is through and through, so no problem with scratches. The honeycomb is easy to cut in shapes with a jig saw and the edges don't melt when using a fine metal blade as long as you don't push it too hard. The core adds a great deal of rigidity without weight, and the air space also adds a bit of insulation value.

Of course, being PVC, easy to glue. Tongue & groove is deep and interlocking. Securing every other panel is probably more than enough. Pretty easy to work with. I may consider the same material for the head. This, for your info.

I completed the cut and fit on one wall in about 4 hours easy time. Tomorrow I'll remove, glue and apply.
Attached Thumbnails
before wall panel.jpg   full panel.jpg   core shot.jpg   connected panels.jpg   panel edges.jpg  

finished wall.jpg  

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote