Genset oil filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whichaway

I have a 2007 12.5 KW Westerbeke BTDB genset.* Westerbeke recommends that I use only Westerbeke branded oil filters--model 36918 which cost about $12-14 each.* I see that the Wix*51334 or the Napa 1334 filter*can replace the Westerbeke filter at about 1/3 the price.* What does the group think about the Wix and Napa filters and should I have any concern about going the cheaper route?* Thanks*

I have the same questions and genset as you. To-date I have used OEM. Many filters have check valves in them to prevent drain out, which is another question on non OEM. For 10 bucks per year I'll likely stay red.

It depends upon how many oil changes you are going to do during a years time. It if is only once,figure out how many pennies more per day the Westerbeke filter will cost you.

I use that same number Napa or CarQuest (I think it's 85334) filter on my Westerbeke 4.4 more for convenience than anything.
As an engineer and a gearhead I am not one who necessarily believes that oem is better.

-- Edited by jleonard on Thursday 10th of February 2011 01:31:01 PM

Westerbeke recommends an oil change every 100 hours and therefore it doesn't take*long to burn thru 100 hours when we are cruising as the Admiral (and me) enjoy the AC at night when it is hot.* We anchor out quite a bit so I have to do a oil change every*2 or 3 weeks if not more often.* I have no idea about a check valve, so I guess I will just bite the bullit and stay with a Westerbeke filter.*Thanks for the input.

I use Napa Gold filters on my main engine they are made in the USA, which is usually a good sign. My genset came with a good stock of OEM, Kubota, filters, when I run out of these I'll look for a Napa or similar if available.** I drive by 3 NAPA stores on the way to the boat. A Cummins or Kubota dealer is a long detour.
*Steve W

-- Edited by Steve on Thursday 10th of February 2011 04:24:01 PM

I am thinking a cross referenced non OEM filter would work just fine.

I'd use a WIX filter for my Westerbeke 8kw if I could find one, but so far I haven't had a successful match. The one I tried was just a bit too tall, and wouldn't fit. A NAPA would work almost as well; I'd shy away from Fram.

Whichaway,
If you have a Baldwin filter dealer in your area you may want to bring a new sample to them and have them cross your #. He may be able to tell you if your requires a check valve, micron rating, etc.
Baldwin specializes in commercial and industrial applications and areas premium filter.

http://www.baldwinfilter.com/

This is sorta related. The experts on boatdiesel.com recommend using only Fleetguard oil and fuel filters to protect the Cummins diesels. Fleetguard is OEM for Cummins. I don't remember why they do so, probably due to the specs specified by Cummins that can't be easily obtained from non OEM filters and the potential for less quality control on non oem products. When I purchased my boat it had no Fleetguard filters on either engine, but I changed that soon after purchase. These big Cummins can be somewhat temperamental and I think it prudent to use the recommend filters.

However the less temperamental genset is another matter. I would think WIX or NAPA would be OK and I have used them for my genset. However for the genset fuel filter I use a fleetguard for the 1st filter and a NAPA for the second.

-- Edited by timjet on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 11:35:49 AM

I had the experience of the Wix being the right diameter but too long to fit in the opening on my 8BTD. Haven't tried any others after that.

Timely as I just changed tie oil and filter in my Westerbeke 12.5 today and used a NAPA like I always do. You will find the NAPA to be larger and the oil gasket to be slightly larger in diameter but they work great now over the past 9-10 years.
On my past 8 KW Westerbeke I replaced that one bolt head that was interfering with the longer NAPA/Baldwin filters lengths and used then the entire time I owned that boat as well. Not all versions of the 8 or 12.5 Westerbekes are exactly the same but the ones I had and have worked very well with the NAPA and Baldwin filters.

Why not just negotiate with the company for a price on a case of filters? That will bring your per-unit cost down and you won't have to hunt for them.

Smitty, what did you replace the bolt with and where did you get it?

It was more than 15 years ago but I pulled the hex head bolt and went to a hardware store and matched the threads and depth with a countersunk allen head bolt. I did do a bit of a countersink where the bolt was but not much at all - the new bolt still stuck out a bit but had enough room to angle the new filter in there well.
Likely places like Home depot carry the metric countersunk 'screws' now in there parts bins but in a pinch service star likely has them.

I'd use a WIX filter for my Westerbeke 8kw if I could find one, but so far I haven't had a successful match. The one I tried was just a bit too tall, and wouldn't fit. A NAPA would work almost as well; I'd shy away from Fram.

Westerbeke's 8kw leaves too little space for installation of Wix or Napa filters. To avoid this issue I installed their remote oil filter system. Now using Wix filters.

Before you try to substitute non Westerbeke filters make sure the 12kw generator has space for the Wix or Napa filter.

I use both NAPA and Baldwin in all engines but the oil filter I put on the westerbeke 12.5 yesterday was a NAPA #1626 and had plenty of space to do so. I also have used the Baldwin B141 in that genset with plenty of space as well.

The NAPA 1334 filter DOES fit on a 8 BTD. its a ~3/8 inch longer than the Westerbeke OEM filter. Land the hole at the threaded nipple then the top of the can will clear the cap screw heads. Easy-peezy.

Last edited:
I just fit a Sierra filter to my 8 kw Westerbeke. Plenty of clearance. Part number 3735925. $6.95. at West Marine. Needed it today to continue my winter layup.
As an aside, spilled 5 gallons of pink anti in the bilge when the handle on the bucket let go. Grrrrrr!

Use Northern lights and wix filters (actually had a Fram once), both are the same, no check valve like my Yanmar engine oil filters which I get OEM. Not about cost more about convenience.

Back
Top Bottom