Tell me about your Mainship LarryM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawgwash

Guru
Going to look at a 34 Mainship on the weekend, but only because it is sitting beside a NT37 and to get a close look at a single Yanmar install.

At one time the Mainship caught my eye but todays 34 and 40 "trawler" just look awkward to me.

Talk to me Larry.

What year? The older 34's were built from the late 70' to early 80's. We had an 81 with a Perkins. Great boat for a couple IMHO. The usual potential issues with an older boat such as soft decks or fuel tanks. The only negative but we learned to live with it, was the small water tank, about 45 gallons.

We chartered a Mainship 350/390 out of Desolation Sd Charters. I thought the boat handled quite nicely, but we found the interior spaces small. Just our opinion. The helm from the flybridge was quite good, but the interior helm was quite cramped. An important consideration for us was to have a boat that would be comfortable to live on for months on end.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Last edited:
We have a 390 which is a very similar boat. the awkward look comes from the size of the flybridge size. the 34 and 400 overhang the lower deck and makes them look a little top heavy from some angles (the 390 does not have this overhang) that said, it gives a lot of extra space and the seating position on the 34 flybridge is better than the 390 because of the extra space.
I think all of the Mainship boats are really good. They are pretty well made and you get a lot of boat for the money.
John

Thanks Jim and John.
The 34 did not do a thing for me.
Nor did the Nordic 37.

A 1980 43 Tolly on the other hand, really hit all the marks except dollars.
So nice when you find a boat owner whose ideas match your own on almost everything.

Back
Top Bottom