Mainship 30 Pilot II generator control/light question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgano

Guru
Vessel Name
FROLIC
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I have a NextGen UCM1-3.5 3.5-KW generator and an on/off switch on my boat's circuit breaker panel labeled "Generator Control," and today, while investigating why the "Generator" light at the helm console did not come on while the generator was running I found out some interesting things. On the other hand, since the light is mounted together with three bilge pump alarm lights, maybe it is supposed to indicate an alarm condition with the generator....?

1. The Generator light at the helm came on only while the Start/Preheat-Stop switch was thrown to the "Preheat" position. Once the generator started, it went out. While the start switch was in the "Preheat" position, a buzzing noise was noted at the helm.

2. THEN I pulled the Circuit Breaker/Switch Panel down and found a single red wire which had apparently pulled free from one side of the Generator Control switch. There were two red wires connected to the other pole of this switch - so until I reconnected this wire, the switch was controlling nothing. However, the generator started and ran normally both before and after the wire was reconnected.

3. After reconnecting the single red wire to the Generator Control switch, the Generator light at the helm console came on as soon as the switch was thrown to the "on" position, and it stayed on while the generator was running. When I threw the Generator Control switch to "Off," the Generator light at the helm went off, but the generator continued to run. Also, there was a quiet click/beep noise heard at the generator when this switch was thrown to "on" before starting the generator whereas before the wire was reconnected, there was no noise at the generator when the switch was turned on.

4. With the wire reconnected to the Generator Control switch and with the switch "on," there was no more buzzing sound at the helm console when the Start switch was held to "Preheat." Generator started OK.

5. With the Generator Control Switch in the "off" position, I can still crank the generator - I did not proceed all the way to start but probably could have based on the fact that I could start it when the single red wire was disconnected.

So my questions are:

1. What is this Generator Control switch controlling? It seems to control nothing.
2. What is the purpose of the Generator light at the helm besides to remind me that the Generator Control switch, which seems to control nothing, is in the "on" position?

Rich, I'm going to the boat this weekend. It's on the hard so will not be able to run the generator but will look at the switches.

You might turn on the Gen Controls switch and see if the helm console "Generator" light comes on. Mine does.

Rich,
I checked it out and I can't help you. I have the same generator. I have a Start/ Preheat stop switch at the unit and at the main AC/DC panel. I do not have a generator light at the main panel Start/ Preheat stop switch, two blanks on either side of the switch. I also noticed that I do not have a light under the bilge panel indicators at the helm. It just a blank there also. The only generator light is at the main 110 or Genny switch with the slide bar between the two.I have a 2006 Pilot and I'm assuming the generator was standard with the boat? :rolleyes:

The whole thing just leaves me wondering about the crew at Mainship.

I know what you mean.
I'm trying to figure out the installation of a passenger side windshield wiper. The boat did not come with it but they did run the wires to the center windshield. They are not hot with the existing switch so I need to unravel that 3" wad of wires at the helm and figure it out?

Adding Windshield Wash System

Mine came with pax side wiper. There are separate rocker switches on that row of switches under the helm for each side. A 2006 model here in town has a windshield washer system installed, while my 2005 did not come so equipped. I bought a windshield washer bottle with integrated pump motor and installed it right in front of the helm console and wired it to an unused "Accessory" rocker switch under the helm. Then I ran some small diameter plastic hose to holes drilled under the windshields to holes I drilled near the wiper motors and pushed the washer nozzles supplied with the bottle. I had to pull the hose and nozzles out about an inch to get enough height for the nozzles to hit the windshield. I used black silicone to seal the holes and build up the "stalk" under the nozzles after masking off the base. Once dried, I used an Exacto knife to shape the silicone blob.

Thanks Rich, I'll look at the additional switches to the right of the windshield wiper switch.

Back
Top Bottom