Heavy Weather

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Geez, we are all becoming sooooo sensitive. Heavy weather makes us woozy I guess.

After having worked for some very tough and insensitive bosses and governments over the years, the water flows off my back like a well greased goose. I'm sure most of you can identify with navigating this type of heavy weather.

KJ wrote:My comments about movie and book rights was just my way of saying that more people should be able to share your experience.....*
My inquiry regarding your avatar, Ragnar; I was curious as to the reference of the name, Raganr
Funny...I had those same thoughts.

nomadwilly wrote:

Guys

He seems to have deleted himself.
Ragnar sent me a PM asking me to explain my comments. I sent him the same comments as I posted with my apology for the misunderstanding.* I would also like to apologize to the forum in general if there were any other folks that misinterpreted my post.*Hopefully we will see*the return of*Ragnar.**** KJ*

-- Edited by KJ on Thursday 10th of February 2011 11:34:15 AM

KJ wrote:nomadwilly wrote:
Guys

He seems to have deleted himself.

Ragnar sent me a PM asking me to explain my comments. I sent him the same comments as I posted with my apology for the misunderstanding.* I would also like to apologize to the forum in general if there were any other folks that misinterpreted my post.*Hopefully we will see*the return of*Ragnar.**** KJ*-- Edited by KJ on Thursday 10th of February 2011 11:34:15 AM

looks like KJ edited his post after so not really sure what was initially posted.
personally i think it was the comment on his name, i can see the humor in asking if he was related to the Nordic god Odin but perhaps Ragnar could not.
Either way it is too bad, personally enjoyed his story and experience.

Per wrote:

looks like KJ edited his post after so not really sure what was initially posted.
personally i think it was the comment on his name, i can see the humor in asking if he was related to the Nordic god Odin but perhaps Ragnar could not.
The fellows name is Richard Walsh.*I assumed (what's that saying about assuming?) that Ragnar was the name of his boat, which would be way cool if it was named after the legendary Norse superhero Ragnar Lodbrok.*My original post*is still intact right after*Eric's post about having a drink.* ******* KJ

-- Edited by KJ on Thursday 10th of February 2011 12:29:32 PM

for some reason i thought his name is Ragnar, I have friends named Ragnar and as such did not take it as an odd name at all.

Per wrote:personally i think it was the comment on his name, i can see the humor in asking if he was related to the Nordic god Odin but perhaps Ragnar could not.
I think you hit on it.* That is the problem with the email or post system.* He may have misunderstood the questioning of his name Ragnar. *Some of this may have been residue from the warm reception he got on a couple of his posts in the ODE.

*He did not*agree with some folks so he got the standard ration of abuse that gets dealt out there.

Per wrote:

for some reason i thought his name is Ragnar, I have friends named Ragnar and as such did not take it as an odd name at all.
If you notice in my first post*I addressed him as Mr. R. Walsh, and in my second post as Richard. I knew his name was not Ragnar, and*I didn't think the name was odd,*I thought it was cool. He did not get any abuse from me on OTDE or any other post, that's not my thing.* ***I think we can let this rest for now.******* KJ

-- Edited by KJ on Thursday 10th of February 2011 02:09:48 PM

Per wrote:

yeah let it rest for sure.
what is ODE/OTDE?

OFF THE DEEP END** it's the category at the bottom of the Main topic section. It's pretty much a catch all for folks to express their opinions on everything from politics to personal observations about other forum members.* Also where you might find some sicko jokes.**** KJ

Per wrote:

yeah let it rest for sure.
what is ODE/OTDE?
It's a bad place to go, Per, if you're prone to making up history and quoting it to support your particular point of view or believe civility can only be measured by the degree someone else agrees with you.

Otherwise, it's great fun, even if it's not for the psychologically frail.

so not long after we got our boat, my wife decided it would be great to take her friends from PTA on a sunset harbor cruise.
i had some performance angst (did i mention its 38 ft and my first boat..).
turns out to quite the event, had around 12 guest onboard, one of them works for california dept fish and game (on the waterfront.)
my plan was to just cruise around the harbor marina until the sun was close to setting, then head back to the slip; but this guy had to suggest we sneak out the marina and into the neighbor marina (Huntington Beach) and surely I could not find any reason not to, especially with his expert advise.
we came out of the marina channel and had a 15 min ride in choppy weather and into the Huntington Beach inlet, its faily wide however on the port side is a navy ammo dock so unless you want to get in trouble you need to stay on the starboard side well marked off.
there is a bridge which i knew we had to clear but according to the DFG buddy it would not be a problem.
at the bridge the inlet is fairly narrow, like a river basically.
and tide is coming in so even i am going idle, we are still moving pretty good.
DFG buddy goes to the aft of the FB to visually clear me, says we are fine to clear under the bridge, then some 20' before the bridge he bellows.."i wouldnt do it.." panic stricken i put it in reverse hard, hear the crowd below me scream... there is boat behind you.. more panic. i am not sure i will at best either crash onto the rocks on the shoreline of the inlet or run into the boat behind me, i go on instinct and rev up the port forward, manage to turn the 38' boat around U turn without hitting the rocks.
the only casualty was in the saloon, lots of food/appetizers had slid off the table during my hard maneuver, no drinks were even spilled...

ok so not so much bad weather but still a good story..

Delfin wrote:

Otherwise, it's great fun, even if it's not for the psychologically frail.
Ya gotta be tough, psychologically.

Delfin wrote:Otherwise, it's great fun, even if it's not for the psychologically frail.
What a "nice" way to put it...I had something a hell uv a lot stronger in mind!

Ok, so that's all settled then, so Ragnar, where are you. It's safe to come out. No 40' wave will dump on you we promise.

This has turned out to be quite the conundrum and we may never know the answer as to why Ragnor became offended by KJ's comments.

*Some people have a different view of the world and there surroundings.*

Perhaps an estranged logic that defies defination.*

Another mystery of the sea?

Another riddle to surround us and bind the forum closer together.

All we can do is question for we have all come here seeking knowledge.

SD

skipperdude wrote:

This has turned out to be quite the conundrum and we may never know the answer as to why Ragnor became offended by KJ's comments.

*Some people have a different view of the world and there surroundings.*

Perhaps an estranged logic that defies defination.*

Another mystery of the sea?

Another riddle to surround us and bind the forum closer together.

All we can do is question for we have all come here seeking knowledge.

SD
Amen, brother**************** KJ*

Dude wrote:
"for we have all come here seeking knowledge."

Do you really think that ? I thought we were more of a social club and knowledge was a desirable by-product. Come to think of it we don't talk about our wife's and girlfriends and problems w neighbors and what we think of each other. Ragner's gone so it's not fair to talk about him but all the rest of us are wide open. Maybe we'd better take care of our remaining members though. There's lots of members that used to post a lot but faded out***** .....perhaps we could resurrect some of our dead and in some small way make up for loosing Ragnar.

nomadwilly wrote:

Dude wrote:
"for we have all come here seeking knowledge."

Do you really think that ? I thought we were more of a social club and knowledge was a desirable by-product. Come to think of it we don't talk about our wife's and girlfriends and problems w neighbors and what we think of each other. Ragner's gone so it's not fair to talk about him but all the rest of us are wide open. Maybe we'd better take care of our remaining members though. There's lots of members that used to post a lot but faded out***** .....perhaps we could resurrect some of our dead and in some small way make up for loosing Ragnar.
I think that's a really bad idea.

i am a newbie on the forum, and i can say for sure i came searching for information, hoping more experienced boaters would open up for their book of knowledge.
so far i have not been let down, lots of great people willing to share on this board. (unlike some fishing forums i visit)
friends.. sure but i will leave the political rhetoric to facebook etc.

Old Stone wrote:

"All we can do is question for we have all come here seeking knowledge."

Pretty much agreed, but could we just make it "seeking knowledge and fun".

Awful lot of good souls on this Forum.
Per

i am a newbie on the forum, and i can say for sure i came searching for information, hoping more experienced boaters would open up for their book of knowledge.
so far i have not been let down, lots of great people willing to share on this board. (unlike some fishing forums i visit)
friends.. sure but i will leave the political rhetoric to facebook etc.

I second that emotion*************** KJ

KJ,
"I think that's a really bad idea." You mean resurrecting the dead? We could wear black capes and meet in the forest. Seriously I miss some of the old members that have gone out w the tide and wish some were back

Some examples are:

Troy 994719, sloboat, Marc 1, Marc B, oldfishboat, Jim spence, gns, gene and* Wingspar.
I'd like to hear more from Chris Foster and RED also. We've been really lucky w the new guys that have hitched up in the last year. All great guys as I remember and some have been really active like Tony.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Friday 11th of February 2011 01:48:05 PM

Eric,

*yeah remember Oldfishboat guy. I don't know if you were ever on PMM.

* Old member was a hoot.

Yeah I would like to see a few of them back.

SD

Dude***** ...
oldfishboat was'nt old. I remember seeing a picture of him running his OB skiff on wa=hat looked like a river. He was a good look'in guy and I was surprised. With a username like oldfishboat I kinda thought*** ......

nomadwilly wrote:

KJ,
"I think that's a really bad idea." You mean resurrecting the dead?**
No, I meant the part about wives, girlfriends, and problems with the neighbors.
I don't think we wanna go there.************** KJ

Oh yea that. A joke m man a joke is all. Didn't think anyone would take it seriously Ha Ha
I talk about my wife but it's always about how well she planned for our trip or what a fine job she did landing the boat. And anytime we have the desire to talk about each other there's the private msg capability. You don't know my neighbor do you*** ...your loss* ..he was voted "Hero of our town" last year. There I talked about my wife and my neighbor.

And it didn't hurt a bit did it Eric?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom