Will this Replace Flares?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopCar

Guru
Vessel Name
Possum
Vessel Make
Ellis 28
Weems & Plath is selling a battery powered light that meets Coast Guard requirements for night signals. With this and a distress flag for day time use you could meet all USCG requirements.

Will you continue to carry pyrotechnics or will this replace your flares?
media.nl

"THE ONLY ALTERNATIVE TO TRADITIONAL FLARES
The SOS Distress Light is the first and ONLY LED Visual Distress Signal Device that meets U.S. Coast Guard requirements to completely replace traditional pyrotechnic flares. Unlike traditional flares, this electronic flare never expires which solves the challenge of flare disposal. This floating electronic flare can be hand-held, tethered, or hoisted aloft. It runs up to 60 hours, unlike traditional flares which last minutes or less."

The above is from the Weems & Plath website.

It currently sells for $100.

It looks good, what kind of battery does it use? I guess there could be an issue of dead batteries when you need it, if one didn't keep up with that. It would be easier to use and deploy if one had to abandon ship or MOB.
I just replaced outdated flares this week maybe by the time I need replacements there will be a bigger selection of these "electronic flares".

Steve, it uses three regular C batteries. They recommend changing the batteries once a year.

I like this. Flares make me nervous. I'm always worried I'll burn myself or someone else, or light something on fire, like the life raft I'm desperately clinging to. I wouldn't feel comfortable keeping a box of fireworks aboard, but I kinda have to. Also, not having to replace the thing every year is a big plus.

I like the idea too. I could see some possible wisdom in carrying both an LED and traditional flares.

Parks - is this an item you sell?

John

Yes, I brought a few in to see how they go. I like them from the safety point. Combined with an Epirb I think they could be very effective.

When my flares expire in a year, if this product (or a similar one) still exists and has some market traction, I'll definitely ditch flares for it.

When my flares expire in a year, if this product (or a similar one) still exists and has some market traction, I'll definitely ditch flares for it.

I second that. I think I have replaced our flares five times over the 14 odd years we have had our boat, and never had to set one off. What a waste...

I bought one. I think it's a lot safer than conventional flares.

I just wonder what took them so long to come out with a replacement for flares. Fifty or a hundred years ago that was the best we could do but LEDs and strobe lights have been with us for a long time.

Wes, ACR actually made one about thirty years ago. It never took off because it was required to use a special battery that was hard to find. The battery had a short shelf life and dealers didn't want to stock it.

I did not know that but special batteries would be a killer for almost anything. "C" batteries are available almost anywhere that sells batteries.

As long as the batteries don't leak and corrode, this should be a great product.

Wes, ACR actually made one about thirty years ago. It never took off because it was required to use a special battery that was hard to find. The battery had a short shelf life and dealers didn't want to stock it.

In the aviation space there were ELT's (a crude precursor to EPIRB's) that required specialized batteries. Finally one manufacture came out with one that could use D-cells and they sold like hotcakes.

(The D-cells needed to be Duracell because they were the only batteries that had a use-by date on them and the FAA didn't want folks using old batteries.)

Anyway I do like this product.

Replacing fireworks flares every few years is a wasteful PITA. I usually keep the last expired set with the fresh set. The electronic type seems a great advance, and in Australia soccer/round ball football fans are likely keen buyers for the old ones.

Replacing fireworks flares every few years is a wasteful PITA. I usually keep the last expired set with the fresh set. The electronic type seems a great advance, and in Australia soccer/round ball football fans are likely keen buyers for the old ones.

I'm almost afraid to ask. What do they do with them?

The fans fire them at football matches, filling the venue with smoke:angel:. No idea why. The soccer governing body then fines the Club the fans support $50K,and "fines" the Club 3 competition points, suspended until it happens again, in the hope the Club will control its fans.
Oh for the old days, when you could fire them from your boat on NYE while watching the fireworks. If you can`t find fans to take the old ones, our Maritime Authority will, but that`s no fun.

Thanks to Bruce, they'll get banned from the rest of the season's soccer matches, because of letting them off in the stands. He must have been onto this already because Melbourne Victory team are on a 3 point suspended deduction for this very activity last week, and the western Sydney Wanderers the week before that.

True story... :D
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/aleague-flares-up-as-western-sydney-wanderers-fans-ignore-police-warnings/news-story/419e1df5402276d98d51924b46f06f9d
Nocookies | The Australian

How is this distinguishable as a distress signal, rather than just another light at night?

Flares are pretty easily recognizable for what they are. Not saying it's a bad thing, just curious.

Also, I assume this will replace only hand-held signals, not the 12ga meteors that are visible over a much longer range?

If I did get one of these electronic flares think I'd keep a ziplock back with more batteries in the ditch bag.

Don't think I'd ditch the flares thou. Something about redundancy that sits well with me.

How is this distinguishable as a distress signal, rather than just another light at night?

Flares are pretty easily recognizable for what they are. Not saying it's a bad thing, just curious.

Also, I assume this will replace only hand-held signals, not the 12ga meteors that are visible over a much longer range?

As I recall, it flashes SOS. I could be wrong, it's on the boat and I am not. It may not be visible at a long range like the 12 gauge but it will run for several hours on one set of batteries. Flares last for just a few seconds.

As I recall, it flashes SOS. I could be wrong, it's on the boat and I am not. It may not be visible at a long range like the 12 gauge but it will run for several hours on one set of batteries. Flares last for just a few seconds.

Sounds like a good idea...but I'm not sure I would trust my life to it just yet.

Might be a good way to accompany flares, especially when further combined with a VHF DSC distress signal or EPIRB, but until more mariners receive more training on looking out for these devices, I'll stick to my (flare) guns.

I would want something from the Manufacturer certifying with a guarantee (in writing) against costs and fines, that this replaces the Federal requirement for flares

I would want something from the Manufacturer certifying with a guarantee (in writing) against costs and fines, that this replaces the Federal requirement for flares

You will not get that, but it does comply with the appropriate requirements and this is stated on the packaging and possibly on the device itself.

You can go back and read the original post for confirmation.

In the Real World with 23 year old coasties, you might get written up for non compliance and fined. You will have the right to your day in court and case will likely be thrown out. Appealing the ignorance of a LE agency takes time and $$$$$

Requirements aside, I am more concerned with someone not recognizing it as a distress signal. I would hesitate to rely on this alone...though it would make a good locator once a longer-range signal such as a meteor flare or radio/EPIRB distress signal is sent.

The rules of the road do indicate a vessel signalling SOS as a distress signal (of course), but Morse flashing light went out of favor a while ago and I'm just not sure it would have the same impact on a passing vessel that a flare would. At least not yet.

Also, in the end, it really only replaces a hand-held night signal (as far as I can tell), so you still need your meteors, and your orange smoke for day signalling. So you've only eliminated 1/3 of your pyrotechnics (at least on my boat).

Millerbb you bring up my concern. It does flash SOS but I would worry that untrained people would not recognize it as a distress signal. Used in conjunction with an Epirb or the like I think it could be very effective in helping people who are already looking for you home in on your exact location.

You are correct that it is only a night signal but there is already a non pyrotechnic USCGA Day Signal. It's a simple orange flag with a black square and circle printed on it.

If you are only required to carry USCGA signals, you are no longer required to carry pyrotechnics.

A distress flag comes with the device.

The "23 year old coasties" can read on the device that it satisfies the requirements.

In the end, we all have to do what makes us feel safe.

Given that most weekend boaters are not exactly up-to-speed on rules of the road, etc, I just don't have the confidence that Jimmy Joe Bob in his bass boat is going to recognize the SOS or the flag.

And let's face it, there are a lot more Jimmy Joe Bobs and bass boats out there than there are competent mariners.

In the end, we all have to do what makes us feel safe.

Given that most weekend boaters are not exactly up-to-speed on rules of the road, etc, I just don't have the confidence that Jimmy Joe Bob in his bass boat is going to recognize the SOS or the flag.

And let's face it, there are a lot more Jimmy Joe Bobs and bass boats out there than there are competent mariners.

Do you think Jimmy Joe Bob will understand the meaning of the flare? Or will he think you are setting off fireworks?

Jimmy Joe Bob will not be monitoring channel 16 either.

I'm not trying to sell these things to anyone, I just think that it's an improvement over traditional flares in many ways. That's why I bought one and will not be buying another set of traditional flares when mine expire in a few months. I don't have a sextant either.

Do you think Jimmy Joe Bob will understand the meaning of the flare? Or will he think you are setting off fireworks?

Jimmy Joe Bob will not be monitoring channel 16 either.

I'm not trying to sell these things to anyone, I just think that it's an improvement over traditional flares in many ways. That's why I bought one and will not be buying another set of traditional flares when mine expire in a few months. I don't have a sextant either.

That's a fair point, and I'm not saying that the light is a bad idea or that you shouldn't have one...I am all about redundancy. I'm just saying I trust the flares more. Then again, I do have a sextant and a hand bearing compass and know how to use them, but I rely on GPS just like everyone else :D

So to use this to meet the carriage requirements in US waters you have to have the both the "flare" and the flag. I have not seen any guidance on the battery date requirements yet but I am sure the Coast Guard will come up with something at some point. I plan to get one when my current flares expire but, for reasons already mentioned, I will keep the expired flares like I do now. My opinion is that the more ways you have to get someones attention the better.

Marty...................

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom