When arriving at a town or destination what do you enjoy doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Here are some of the things I like doing in places I visit while cruising

• I enjoy just walking around the town

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • I like sampling restaurants and local food

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • I like visiting local museums

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • I enjoy seeing historic sites in the area.

Votes: 26 63.4%
  • I like seeing local, art and crafts.

Votes: 19 46.3%
  • I like going to any local events or entertainment while I'm there

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • I like to quietly fish in different areas.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I enjoy talking to other boaters anchored or at the marina

Votes: 21 51.2%
  • I enjoy pulling the dinghy to shore and exploring in woods and other areas with nature

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I like to just sit on the boat and enjoy nature

Votes: 22 53.7%

• Total voters

BandB

Guru
Wifey B: Ok, I warned there was another coming. Hope I include the choices better on this one. But just curious as to what people enjoy most about the places they go.

Finding a really good sports bar and watching every competitive sport I can watch. :D

Wifey B: We enjoy all except not big on the quietly fish one.

We like to see everything a town has to offer and get a true feel for it.

Sample the local PIZZA.

New York City still has the #1 best , but we always hope for an edible runner up.

So far there is NO pizza in Florida that tops what can be bought frozen in a box..

Sample the local PIZZA.

New York City still has the #1 best , but we always hope for an edible runner up.

So far there is NO pizza in Florida that tops what can be bought frozen in a box..

Fred, have you tried the pizza at the service station/restaurant on the highway near Alva?

I like to stroll the streets in both the commercial and residential areas. This gives an impression of the ambiance of the town. Walking and bikes get you very close to the people and places.

I like to stroll the streets in both the commercial and residential areas. This gives an impression of the ambiance of the town. Walking and bikes get you very close to the people and places.

Wifey B: We walk miles and miles. Serves two purposes. Gives us insight into the town and good exercise. We like to leave a town with some idea of what it would be like to live there. Even if we rent a car or take a taxi, we still get to a central point and then walk. We love to just step into local shops and have lunch as the local hangout. We love the local diners in the South and the Deli's in NY. Even the ones where they make fun of our southern accents, while we have people in the deep south ask if we're from NY because of our accents.

We've had some great times too finding pickup basketball games or going to a high school gym and playing hoops with the high school kids. Of course one time we were waiting for our turn at a tennis court and these two teen boys had the audacity to say where they didn't know we'd hear it something about "our time is up." and something about the old people waiting. Three sets later they were eating those words. But they were really cool kids and so we bought them lunch anyway.

FF;416347New York City still has the #1 best said:
So true. Same with bagels.

But in our case, it's always ice cream that we seem to seek out.

That's how I know when we've been on the hook too long. The "crew" starts getting restless looking for the next ice cream fix. Time to pay for a slip in town!

So true. Same with bagels.

But in our case, it's always ice cream that we seem to seek out.

That's how I know when we've been on the hook too long. The "crew" starts getting restless looking for the next ice cream fix. Time to pay for a slip in town!

Wifey B: Did I hear Ice Cream? :dance: I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream. :) We do seek out ice cream everywhere. Even found it in a soda fountain in Apalachicola.

I like to sample the town's part stores and try out all of the local mechanics.

Walk around get a feel for the area. Find a good bar and restaurant. sometimes I'll break out the camera and tripod. Have had much fun walking around late at night taking pictures.

Wife- she'll find the nearest crossfit gym no matter where we are and find a way to get there. She actually looks forward to working out.

Sample the local PIZZA.

Or in Maryland where we live, near Annapolis. Originally from Connecticut where some folks think the best pizza is made in New Haven on Wooster St., Pepe's, Modern, or Sally's, take your pick. Visited last weekend and had a Pepe's pizza. In New York, try Patsy's on 120th in East Harlem. Outstanding pizza and the best fried calamari I have ever had. Doesn't anyone wonder why a guy like Schnatter (Papa John's Pizza) became fabulously wealthy making pizza rivaling the lousiest pies I have ever had? Chicago deep dish? A huge hunk of bread with toppings, not really pizza, just called that. Anchors away!

Wifey B: We walk miles and miles. Serves two purposes. Gives us insight into the town and good exercise. We like to leave a town with some idea of what it would be like to live there. Even if we rent a car or take a taxi, we still get to a central point and then walk. We love to just step into local shops and have lunch as the local hangout. We love the local diners in the South and the Deli's in NY. Even the ones where they make fun of our southern accents, while we have people in the deep south ask if we're from NY because of our accents.

We've had some great times too finding pickup basketball games or going to a high school gym and playing hoops with the high school kids. Of course one time we were waiting for our turn at a tennis court and these two teen boys had the audacity to say where they didn't know we'd hear it something about "our time is up." and something about the old people waiting. Three sets later they were eating those words. But they were really cool kids and so we bought them lunch anyway.

Playing b-ball with the locals, now there is something that I wouldn't have thought of. I'm 65 years old and up until a few years ago I played in a regular Friday evening pick-up game at a local middle school. Full court play only. As we got older some of the players introduced their sons to the game. At one point we had a 70 year old playing against 22 year olds and the guy could still get up and down the court and score inside even though he was only abou 5'6" tall. The game was started in 1962 by this fellow and lasted every Friday night until about 5 years ago. I played for nearly 40 years and dearly miss it. Of course, the beers at the local watering hole afterward were nice as well. I am going to keep this in mind for when I visit towns in the future.

Greetings,
The FIRST thing we do when arriving in the Bahamas after checking in with customs is look for the bakery.

Not entirely true. There's a joint called Ryan's in Cocoa Village that's actually pretty good, and is walking distance from Cocoa Village Marina, right on the ICW. It's not NY pizza by any means, but it beats anything in a box.

Sample the local PIZZA.

I used to lived in NYC and loved the pizza there, and generally agree with your assessment. However, if you are ever in Bradenton, check out Erbelli's. You will change your opinion. Also, if you ever venture to Gainesville, find Satchel's Pizza. It is also better than most NYC products.

anchors, pizza...they are all the same and just as good as one another...I know because I read it right here on TF....the experts of the world are either here or somewhere's in northwest Washington state I have been told. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

We keep to the wild areas, photographing and hiking beaches, forests, creeks, and ridge lines. We tend to make short jumps, then stay a few days when a location holds our interest.

The PO installed an extra 40 gallon fuel tank bringing us up to 140 gallons, so we can easily go for a three week holiday (still have a job for a few more years) without needing to refuel.

There's more than a lifetimes worth of exploration on BC's north coast!

Murray that's all you've got is wild areas.

Pizza is not health food. We eat pizza two or three times a year max.

Well, to be fair, there has been a lot of logging in the past in some areas but it was left to reseed naturally. Most has greened up nicely with a mix of species (as opposed to monocultures when replanted manually) so for the untrained eye it looks completely natural. All in all though, it's still pretty wild :thumb:

Pizza is not health food. We eat pizza two or three times a year max.

I'm 65 years old. Too late to be concerned about healthy eating. Waste of good eats to be had. Besides, I haven't been ill in 5 years, am not even close to overweight, cholesterol levels good, and have never taken any drugs other than the occasional aspririn. So, for me, bring on the red meat, pizzas, and beer. So what if I die a couple of years eaflier than all those healthy folks, the salad eaters, although I do like a Greek salad with lots of feta cheese.

We like to find unexpected surprises so we don't read the guide books until we have had a chance to explore on our own. That made finding the art (on Friday Island, as I recall) which we came upon entirely by accident during a hike in which we thought we were getting further from civilization, yet the path continued -- that was Friday island. And up some river (a major one) in the dinghy in Puerto Vallarta we came upon a restaurant (Fajita Republic, I now know it is famous) that we accessed from a very rickety dock, as if straight out of pirates of the Caribbean, complete with alligators (or crocks, I forget which). In Barbados, we took a local bus to the middle of nowhere and found a monkey preserve, which was amazing.

Last edited:
We like to find unexpected surprises so we don't read the guide books until we have had a chance to explore on our own. That made finding the art (on Friday Island, as I recall) which we came upon entirely by accident during a hike in which we thought we were getting further from civilization, yet the path continued -- that was Friday island. And up some river (a major one) in the dinghy in Puerto Vallarta we came upon a restaurant (Fajita Republic, I now know it is famous) that we accessed from a very rickety dock, as if straight out of pirates of the Caribbean, complete with alligators (or crocks, I forget which). In Barbados, we took a local bus to the middle of nowhere and found a monkey preserve, which was amazing.

Love your style. We don't use the cruising guide books as our primary sources for things to do. We go online to the locality's travel or visitor site, to Travel Advisor, and to other information available about where we're headed. Sometimes it might be the 25th item on the list but there will be something mentioning the art as you mentioned. We do similar or just do a google maps for restaurants. We've found the cruising guides are an excellent cruising tool, but they aren't as good at telling you what is at a locale as other available tools.

Lot's of nice places to eat, shop, and visit historical spots in Petaluma (one among others) adjacent to the San Francisco estuary.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom