Simms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KEVMAR

Vessel Name
Delphina
Vessel Make
President 43
My diesel mechanic replace the drain plug in the simms after draining it then he filled it now He can't get the boat started any suggestions as to why this isn't starting thank you

did he remove the pump, or do an on engine repair?

without knowing what he did or didn't do leaves a pretty big gap to guess through....

All he did was replace the drain plug that had stripped .. He tapped the hole and put a new plug/bolt in ..

I am assuming he added back a pint of oil and didn't fill the pump?

Only reason I am asking is I just did what you say he did and no issues even after 80 hours of running and it did start right up.

Other than I have had an occasion or two if my engine sits, a loose fuel line fitting has allowed fuel to back flow to the filters and the injection pump needs priming.

But that is only 2-3 times in over say 1800 engine hours of cruising over the last 4 years

Greetings,
Mr. K. Strange. There's no wiring on that side of the engine that could have been knocked loose and even IF wiring was knocked loose, if a diesel engine turns over, it usually starts. Your mechanic basically did exactly the same thing all of us Lehman owners do every oil change (take out plug, drain, replace plug, refill with 1 pint) so it should fire right up.

How good is this mechanic? Might he have damaged the Simms pump in some way?

Last edited:
What would happen if you added too much oil? Too little oil?

If the new plug is too long it will jam on the cams that are in the pump. Does this mechanic have a Simms background? Since this is all gear driven, it would prevent the engine from turning over. I think the mechanic just bought you a new pump.

Kevin,
It looked like that drain valve was attached with JB Weld. Did it fall out? I never messed with it as it looked secure.

How long of a tap did he use to chase the threads? Any chance tap contacted some sensitive hardware inside while being used?

When I just tapped mine for a 3/8 bolt, I repeatedly probed the inside of the pump to see where an obstruction might be and did not feel anything straight up or just off to the side for at least an inch...which was 1/4 inch longer than anything I planned and probably another inch to spare.

Could be a different pump but all the pics I have seen look pretty much the same.

Last edited:
rebuilt

the sims pump was removed and had to be rebuilt.... the pump is now back in the boat and tested. I will give it a run this weekend as the mechanic will do a check and readjust after 10 hours... so hopefuly it will start as it always did ... I'm sure it will
Kevin G
new Bern NC

Any idea what actually went wrong with the pump?

Sounds like you lost prime. Re-prime from the fuel pump and move to the Simms. Full fuel lines and a cold start protocol should give you the start.

If you hire a mechanic to work on your boat and after he works on the boat, the engine won't start and he can't figure out why so you have to ask on a web forum, he wasn't much of a mechanic was he?

yes the mechanic did come through... he removed the simms pump and had it rebuilt and intstalled it back onto the engine...I do believe he is a very honest and a competent mechanic ... he did right by me... I go to the forum to get advice as most folks do ...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom