Finally a trawler-Troller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Al

Guru
Vessel Name
'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Make
1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Finally a Trawler-Troller arrives on the scene. We often discuss why Trawlers in the forum are called trawlers when they are not commercial trawlers like in net fishing boats. So it is pleasure vs commercial. Offered here is an example of trawler(Pleasure) as a Troller (commercial). Sort of a having your cake and eating it to.:thumb:

https://juneau.craigslist.org/boa/5448166413.html

Al-Ketchikan 27' Marben Pocket CRUISER

Does make you think. Her lines are beautiful.

I don't care how nice a boat may be, if it comes with an "anchor wench" I see nothing but stormy seas on the horizon.

She is pretty. But I had to look up "Troller" in the Urban Dictionary:

4339-albums438-picture2744.jpg

All Trawlers even pseudo trawlers can be converted to true trollers with the addition of some trolling gear. What does an urban dictionary know about fishing for things with fins and scales?

Yup ...
I'm w eyeshulman here.
She's no longer a trawler but a converted troller ... or a troller conversion. She's not a pleasure boat w all the fish gear, including a big oil stove w lots of diesel and fish smell.
When you make an old 26' Bayliner into a troller they become conversions. I'd call this boat a converted troller.
Often though commercial fishermen go cruising between openings in SE Alaska. Some of the best cruising and trawlering can be found in the places where they go. One of those places is Windham Bay just south of Holkam Bay, Edicott and Tracy Arm. They know them all so their choice is golden. They can and on occasion go cruising but most of us here probably wouldn't want to use their boats.

But you're right Al the boat is both. And it shows that trawlers are actually more of a troller than a trawler. Very few rec trawlers actually resemble a real trawler but many resemble trollers. My Willard is a good example. When people ask questions about the boat I usually tell them it's like a salmon troller w/o the fish gear.

Our local troller (well, not quite) lettering the current string out the fishing lines.

A standard Marine Trader 49 with 2 spools added on the transom is not much of a troller. Where's the fish hold?

I'm sorry but typical trawler yachts; Grand-Banks, De Fever, and Krogen, are nothing close to any boat actually designed and built as a serious troller.

These are trollers.....

Oceanfury.jpg

920718_10153236450052478_7328799826060783688_o.jpg

10557492_864157217032360_1047193434785189920_o.jpg

12401806_10153236428267478_5154146587981906228_o.jpg

This is what a troller looks like out of water, there's a great big deep belly midships to carry fish in.

RichmondStar.jpg

OceanTrollerstern.jpg

Whitemist.jpg

Said with tongue in cheek

A standard Marine Trader 49 with 2 spools added on the transom is not much of a troller. Where's the fish hold?

I'm sorry but typical trawler yachts; Grand-Banks, De Fever, and Krogen, are nothing close to any boat actually designed and built as a serious troller.

Tad- We agree. Each and everyone of the commercial boats presented are beauties to behold and confirm these are the true sea going hulls.
My submission with the trawler/troller was meant to be jovial and a tad sarcastic. :angel:

Al-Ketchikan Marben 27' Pocket CRUISER

But Tad.......they only have one engine......and no thrusters.

Tad:
Thanks for post the photo of the Ocean Fury.
In 1967, as a neophyte deckhand, I crewed on her for a season. She was built by Morris Gronlund, at his little shipyard on the Fraser river, where he had turned out a series of "Ocean" trollers over the years. Ocean Fury was 48', powered by a DD6V71, carried ice, launched in May 1967, owned by Leo Carter. We fished Fairweather ground for Springs, Hecate Staits for Coho, Johnstone Straits for Pinks, picked up Halibut in all of those places, fished every daylight hour we weren't travelling or loading/unloading.
The only thing lacking was time for a social life.

Finally a Trawler-Troller arrives on the scene. We often discuss why Trawlers in the forum are called trawlers when they are not commercial trawlers like in net fishing boats. So it is pleasure vs commercial. Offered here is an example of trawler(Pleasure) as a Troller (commercial). Sort of a having your cake and eating it to.:thumb:

https://juneau.craigslist.org/boa/5448166413.html

Al-Ketchikan 27' Marben Pocket CRUISER

Kind of a do it all vessel, or would be if she could sail as well:)...
She looks a little tired

My boat was originally set up as a power troller in the Pacific Northwest I've since converted it to a personal use boat so is my boat a trawler or is it still a troller. She's 34 foot with a 10,000 pound insulated fish hold below the back deck. Single 3208 natural Cat with a 24 inch prop.
top speed is eight knots but I could tow a house. Nice deep keel with paravanes for when she gets rough out.

SDImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1455693743.991096.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1455693774.659903.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1455693789.360409.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom