In one sentence, what made you change boats (or buy another).....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BandB

Guru
Wifey B: Ok, I did steal from another thread. :blush:

I'll just answer as to what led us to buy our most recent.

We were looking for our ideal boat for the loop and inland rivers, a lot of boat in a moderate size with air and water draft we could live with.

Like many others we went from sail to power.
We wanted to do the loop, without stepping the mast etc.

Wifey B: Ok, I did steal from another thread. :blush:

I'll just answer as to what led us to buy our most recent.

We were looking for our ideal boat for the loop and inland rivers, a lot of boat in a moderate size with air and water draft we could live with.

And that came out to be an 85 footer with 2,000 gal in tankage?

During a conversation with my wife, we were asking ourselves "What's the best boat we've ever had"? (So we looked for another one and found it 3 & ½ years later.) :dance:

A chain smoking, hard drinking, partially paralyzed from a previous stroke driver of a Dodge Ram pickup had a seizure and t-boned my wife's Honda Civic in the drivers side door which ended our sea kayak dreams forever, so we got Badger (our first boat) to get back on the water and to have our daughter know within her bones what an amazingly beautiful part of the world we live in.

I had (past tense) too much money and decided to buy a recreational trawler.:rolleyes:

The definition of insanity is owning 2 or more boats that require a slip.

Ted

The wife didn't want sail anymore so we bought Rochepoint.......Happy wife/Happy life.

Wifey B: No, that turned out to be 65'. 85' is a bit too large for the loop. Only 925 gallons of fuel. :)

So what's the 85 footer you talk about on Yachtforums? Or is that the one with two 99kw NL gensets and the 65 is the one with two 33's?
So I take it the one you burned 1550 gallons going nonstop at 22 knots from Georgetown SC to FTL was the 85?
Just trying to understand whereof you speak.

Sold the sailboat and bought the tug for bridge clearance, comfort, no more canvas & plastic windows and a dry boat.

So what's the 85 footer you talk about on Yachtforums? Or is that the one with two 99kw NL gensets and the 65 is the one with two 33's?
So I take it the one you burned 1550 gallons going nonstop at 22 knots from Georgetown SC to FTL was the 85?
Just trying to understand whereof you speak.

Wifey B: 65 hasn't arrived from the UK yet.

With that heading, I knew it had to be "B" the teacher.

One sentence per boat, ok?

Boat 1, a 16 foot runabout, I built as a grade 11 project and gave to my dad when I left home.

Boat 2 a plywood 17 footer, I bought for camping when my boys were 2 months and 2 years old.

I moved to boat 3, a glass 17 because it was a faster better ski boat.

From there to boat 4 a 28 footer with all the amenities for cruising BC, fishing and pulling the boys.

Moved to biking.

Boat 5, a 34 Sea Ray, I picked up in Lake Worth on my way back from Hopetown, got Forbes Cooper to haul it west, for me to bring to Vancouver but sold it in Seattle before the bridge was back on it.

Boats 6 and 7, identical to boat 5 also from Fl. again; sold 1 in Seattle and managed to get the other home.

Shipped 2 more, eventually sold the last one, went back to biking but maintained access to a couple and had a 39 footer from an estate for a short while.

Thrown in there somewhere were 2 bath tubs, a tin one and a go fast glass one which were had just for fun.

Number 10 will be my last boat and will be chosen because I am way overdue to be back on the water; way overdue

Last edited:
Not sure I can do one sentence, but will try.

Tom was tired of squeezing through "Bess size" doors, and we wanted to go a little bigger but not too big and a little faster, with room for friends, but still have easy walk around decks and a cockpit not swim platform with a ladder, and stairs to flybridge not ladder so the new dog would have easy assimilation.

There...did it...one sentence. :thumb:

Bigger, which allowed us to go farther and not have fuel dictate where we went and stopped, not to mention it's more comfortable, and weather windows need not.

Number 10 will be my last boat and will be chosen because I am way overdue to be back on the water; way overdue

Wifey B: Yeah....right...last boat. Then the next one will be the second last one. Sort of like Barry Manilow's last tour. I think he's like up to a dozen or so of them.

Nope Last one. I live in a town with no car lots and 3 scooter/walker shops...Last one.

Hey not fair.......we have lived in that exact same town for 33 years, have two cars and no scooters..........:thumb:

Last edited:
rochepoint said:
Hey not fair.......we have lived in that exact same town for 33 years, have two cars and no scooters..........:thumb:
Sorry you still have to commute but, you see, I'm so old I have an original TT...

Attachments

• Tin Tub.jpg
    Tin Tub.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Bathtub.jpg
    Bathtub.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 106
Nope Last one. I live in a town with no car lots and 3 scooter/walker shops...Last one.

We live in a town with a 313 P.O. boxes and one far out restaurant; between two small mountains, inside a valley area with total population of a few thousand in a few small towns. All this is just 30 minutes from SF on a low-traffic day.

We're not far from Sir Francis Drake Bay and close to SF Bay. 100 miles door to door from house to our Tolly which we keep under covered slip... deep inside SF Delta's 1000 miles of freshwater sloughs and hundreds of islands.

:D

Wifey B: We live in a small town of 175,000 people, 2 billion restaurants, in a metropolitan area of 5.6 million people with 3 trillion boats. Ok, restaurants and boats slightly exaggerated but more boats than anywhere else. We border on water with access to 360,000,000 sq kilometers of water. :D

My attempt:

Previous boats taught us what features we value, and the boat we have now offers us most of those features at a price we could afford.

-Chris

My attempt:

Previous boats taught us what features we value, and the boat we have now offers us most of those features at a price we could afford.

-Chris
Ditto! Well put.

What is also important is what sentences have made you leave a boat behind.

for example:

previously owned by a smoker

gasoline engines

Volvo engines

needs TLC or Project Boat

no lower helm

No air conditioning

no heating

jam packed engine room with lots of head knockers.

The mission changed. No longer needed to run 100 miles offshore to spear fish.

Spell check via iPhone.

Back
Top Bottom