Surveyor in Wilmington NC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

creekcrab

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Paws Aboard
Vessel Make
45 Californian
After looking at what seems like a 100 boats we have put a 45 Californian under contract in Wilmington, NC. It checked the most of our boxes. Now starts the work of trying to determine exact condition. I have been given the names of a few marine surveyors but would appreciate any recommendations for someone in the area. I will check Active Captain in a bit. Thanks for any recommendations.

Rob Eberle is one of the best in NC, but he is in the New Bern area. He will go down to Wilmington, but I don't know what his travel fee is to get him there.

Eberle Marine Survey
eberlemarine@gmail.com
(252) 670-1976

**SIDE NOTE** We were very close to buying that Californian. I assume it's the Marine Max listing. The one under the covered slip. It is a great boat. Tons of space and a stand-up engine room. But in the end, it was too big and too high off the water for our needs.

Good luck!

Rob Eberle is one of the best in NC, but he is in the New Bern area. He will go down to Wilmington, but I don't know what his travel fee is to get him there.

Eberle Marine Survey
eberlemarine@gmail.com
(252) 670-1976

**SIDE NOTE** We were very close to buying that Californian. I assume it's the Marine Max listing. The one under the covered slip. It is a great boat. Tons of space and a stand-up engine room. But in the end, it was too big and too high off the water for our needs.

Good luck!

Ditto on Rob. Use Ski from this forum to do your engine survey.

Thanks much for the recommendations. Tom, the boat is the one listed by Marine Max under the covered shelter. The size and height of decks above waterline were the negatives and our biggest concern. The size is the reason it has spacious sundeck, salon, and master stateroom which tipped the scales for us. I read as much as i could find posted by other Californian owners and that issue didn't seem to be an insurmountable problem.

CreekCrab - that is a very nice boat. I'm glad it's finding a new home! Good luck with the survey!

that issue didn't seem to be an insurmountable problem.

I thought that too, but Bess (5' 0") was the one that would have to handle the lines and jump 6' to the dock... and with the dog ingress and all, my attachment to the wonderful engine room did not overcome the arguments she made for the Navigator.

So we compromised and got what she wanted all along. It just took me a year of shopping to realize that. :rofl: :thumb:

Keep us posted!

I thought that too, but Bess (5' 0") was the one that would have to handle the lines and jump 6' to the dock

Why on earth would she ever have to do that? Ladders that hang over the side are easy to get, and deploy. We are not very agile or adept, and docked our very high freeboard boat by ourselves dozens of times; I even did it solo. By the way, we took turns on the line handling, and if things were particularly gnarly, I was happy to do the running and jumping.

Why on earth would she ever have to do that? Ladders that hang over the side are easy to get, and deploy. We are not very agile or adept, and docked our very high freeboard boat by ourselves dozens of times; I even did it solo. By the way, we took turns on the line handling, and if things were particularly gnarly, I was happy to do the running and jumping.

Forget the jumping part, (which I did a lot on our little trawler) when I couldn't lean over the sundeck rail to reach the stern cleat from the outside, I had decided that wasn't the boat for us. It just didn't fit me. And frankly, I had done more than enough bright work on the first boat too! :thumb:

Attach the line to the stern cleat permanently; that's what worked for us. We then ran it back in and furled it inside.

Attach the line to the stern cleat permanently; that's what worked for us. We then ran it back in and furled it inside.

Thanks for the advice George! Although, We bought the right boat for us. And that left the Californian available for Creekcrab! Which we hope he loves!

Second the rec's for Rob Eberle. I've worked with him often over several years and have always been impressed.

Shoot me a PM if I can help with the engines.

Back
Top Bottom