35' Senator Sundeck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
JAZ
Vessel Make
Ta Chaio/CT35
Anybody know anything about this trawler? It is an 85 model.

I think Gonzo has Senator??? ..or at least a CHB which is where Senators are made....

I will say proceed with every caution you would with any Taiwanese built boat....leaking windows.,..soft decks,etc. A good surveyor should be able to find any shortcomings.

Baker wrote:

I think Gonzo has Senator??? ..or at least a CHB which is where Senators are made....

I will say proceed with every caution you would with any Taiwanese built boat....leaking windows.,..soft decks,etc. A good surveyor should be able to find any shortcomings.
I think it is a Present but still a CHB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aren't a lot of the trawlers from this era Taiwanese?

Yes they are and CHB along with Marine trader were probably the biggest contributors of that era.

Nope...It's a Senator! 1986 vintage. What do you want/need to know?

Are we talking about the one on Yachtworld in SC?

I can say that we really like ours and it will be REALLY yard to get rid of her when the time comes. BUT (<- big butt) our configuration seems to be very unique in the Senator world. It's a very rare galley-down config that gives us an amazing full-width main salon. Something you just don't see in this category of boats. If there is a downside to that... its sleeping arrangements make it better to party with plenty and sleep with two. But, as the saying goes; Don't make your friends too comfortable or they may never leave. Still, for a company (Senator) that doesn't claim to be a custom boat maker, I've never seen two alike. Anyway, one other good thing that our boat had was a VERY good previous owner. A carpenter for Hatteras Yachts, he re-cored all the decks and re-bunged all the screw holes in the teak aft decking.

They are very solid boats and are one of, if not THE best of the CHB yards of the day, but like them all, you have to find the ones that have been well cared for.

Tom-

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Tuesday 8th of February 2011 08:41:07 PM

Thanks Tom!

And yes it is the one in Yacht World in SC. I really like the fact that it has two staterooms, two baths, and two engines, & two helms. This is very hard to find in a smaller trawler like this, which would be a good step up from my 28' cruiser versus going to a 38-40 footer that has all I want. It seems to have everything I am looking for, genny, two AC units, radar and etc. Just wanting to know if anybody had or knew anything about them. I am going to look at the boat the weekend of the 19th.

Is there anything in particular I should look at that you know of, for looking for the first time. I know a survey will need to be done, but still a ays from that step.

thanks
Tracy

-- Edited by windmill29130 on Tuesday 8th of February 2011 09:19:06 PM

I have not been on that SC but biggest problem I see with it is the price! It seems very much over priced- cabin looks clean but the engine room looks like a typical 80's boat that is older- at that price the boat should be spotless from top to bottom.

Tracy,
check your private message box- sent you a message with some sales data will hopefully help you.

Tracy,

He's right on all accounts... She looks good in the cabin, but she is also WAY overpriced (IMHO). We paid well more than $30k less than that two years ago and the buyer's leverage has gotten stronger since then. And I don't see it as nearly as nice of a boat as ours (JD has been on ours and can vouch). It's also been on the market for a little while. Besides... The listing says "turn key" others here may agree or not, but that says red flag to me.

NOTES:
Ours has a hard top and sides around the sundeck (although this one will be less top heavy),I see just a trunk cabin with a bimini. I think it makes it look cheap. But that one may retract... Ours won't.
The flybridge looks cramped and I'm not a fan of the non-center line helm. Ours is far more "open feeling".
The mast is cool, but look at the way the wiring. It's just draped and hanging. Not a sign of a well cared for boat.
Don't expect that V-Berth to hold anyone bigger than a 8 year-old. Ours is small, and I can't imagine a head in that space too. (considering what our is like as a galley)
I like the big windows in the stateroom. Our side ones are just portlights, but our transom windows are escape hatches.
The engine room on our single engine is cramped with only a single Perkins. This one has half the hatch access size and twice the engines. It sure could explain why the engines and engine bay look a little rough.
The new fridge is a plus... We just forked $1600 for a new one 6 months ago.
Good size anchors fitted for the boat's weight.
The breaker panel is where I WISH mine was!
There doesn't look like there is NEARLY the outside storage that we have. We don't have a lot, but there are a few key places under flybridge seating that we couldn't do without. Granted, it looks like a lot more storage inside... which is nice.
Look at the structure the sliding doors sit on. They aren't supported from below very well and sag and crack over time with years of people putting their weight on them. Our need to be resupported soon.
Make sure to inspect the tops of the fuel tanks. You should be able to peek up there. They like to rust.

I dunno... For the right price, it would be a good boat, but if I had to put a number on it, it would be closer to the low $60k... IF... and I mean a HUG IF... the decks had no sign of sponginess to them anywhere. Also expect to continue to flow a steady stream of cash at her after the sale. I agree with you though, it's a perfect inbetween size boat for a couple or SMALL family. If it were me? If I couldn't get her for around $50-$60k, I'd go hunting for a Marine Trader in a bit better condition.

If you are in the neighborhood of Carolina Beach, we'd be honored to have you come onboard and take a look at ours either before or after you see the SC one. I think there are also a few pics in the picture thread of her. And as you can imagine, I have many more if you need to see them.

Tom-

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Tuesday 8th of February 2011 11:16:05 PM

Gonzo, if you click the full specs on that boat it says it has new custom stainless steel fuel tanks in 2008. I cannot imagine how they got them in there without pulling the engines and if they pulled the engines why on earth did they not paint the bilge and clean up the engines? I would agree with your #'s. There are so many good deals out there it makes no sense to over pay. I had to tell a guy today that his large 43' aft cabin, circa late 1980's, gasers, and one of the most dated interiors I've seen in a long time probably won't sell for more than $48-52k yet he's been marketing it for $89k for quite a while without any activity. Tough times to be a seller.

Tom,
Thanks for the wealth of information! I may take you up on looking at your boat. I am going to check this one out next weekend, and if I think it is a good fit and the price is more negotiable, I would like to see yours to compare.

Am I unreasonble trying to get the twins in a boat this size. I just like the idea of having two if we decided to run to the bahamas or keys in it. Is this something you have done?

thanks
Tracy

Tracy,
Well, my boat is not for sale though truth be told, if you offered me $100k I'd consider it.
cowboy.gif

You can get a boat in the 35-36' range with twins but you will have a cramped engine room. Where are you boating and why the desire for twins? Don't get me wrong, the handling of twin screws is awesome. While our monk is my first run with a single screw, so far I am really enjoying it and appreciate the simplicity and reduced costs from maintenance to fuel burn, etc. But having twin screws for close quarter maneuvering is definitely nice! A single screw boat with thrusters though can do virtually anything a twin screw can do and you'd have space to put a cot in the engine room for your mother in law. ;)

Tom,
Most of my boating will be on the Coast of SC, with occassional runs south to Florida or North to the Chesapeake Bay area. Being in education, I get extended time off in the summers and peridically during the year. So there wiill be times that I spend as longs as a month on board. I would like to venture to the Bahamas & Keys a time or two.
thanks
Tracy

It would be a great coastal cruiser... But again... There are better boats out there in your budget or at least in better condition. Unless you want to lower your budget and throw some restoration money at it. Woody's right about the single engine on a boat this size. Without getting into the ENDLESS debate about twins versus single engine debate, a single with a thruster will be a good fit. Besides, as a coastal cruiser, you aren't going to be beating on this engine too badly, nor are you going to be too far from help. A good well maintained diesel will do you fine for your needs. Like I said, the Senator brand is one of the best from the genre, but not the only one. I hate to see one sit on the market unloved as much as the next guy, but make sure you take a close look.

I'm not being very brand specific, so others can certainly give the same advice. It's not specific to a Senator. What I can tell you about Senators only gets you so far.
smile.gif

Check your Pm. I sent you* a link to another one.
thanks
Tracy

I got nuttin'.
confuse.gif

Woodsong wrote:

Tracy,
Well, my boat is not for sale though truth be told, if you offered me $100k I'd consider it.
cowboy.gif
I'm with Woodsong,* Skinny Dippin' isn't for sale either but if anyone offered us 100k, it wouldn't take a whole lot of considering!*
biggrin.gif
* (don't tell Tom)

windmill29130 wrote:

That was the one I sent you earlier.

Must not be me casue my Inbox is devoid of PM's from you
smile.gif

He was just itching to pay someone $100k for their boat- he mistakening sent the PM meant for you to me so I ironed out the deal for $100k for my Monk. *
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Just kidding. *He's actually buying her for $125k! *
smile.gif

$150K??? Please send the address to which I should ship our trawler.
cowboy.gif

Truth be told, I'd hate to see her go....she's kind of grown on me, dirty engine room and all. :)

Woodsong wrote:

$150K??? Please send the address to which I should ship our trawler.
cowboy.gif

Truth be told, I'd hate to see her go....she's kind of grown on me, dirty engine room and all. :)
DITTO!!* (except the dirty engine room part - ours is CLEAN)

*For 150k I'll throw in a 1966 Pontiac LeMans Convertible....(again, don't tell Tom -
biggrin.gif
*)

-- Edited by Besslb on Thursday 10th of February 2011 07:00:52 AM

-- Edited by Besslb on Thursday 10th of February 2011 07:02:47 AM

Besslb wrote:

Woodsong wrote:

Tracy,
cowboy.gif
I'm with Woodsong,* Skinny Dippin' isn't for sale either but if anyone offered us 100k, it wouldn't take a whole lot of considering!*
biggrin.gif
* (don't tell Tom)

Bess,

At $120 you could*let Tom*go with it and be all set*.

Y'all are crazy! Why on earth would he want to buy a boat with a clean engine room? Why would you rob him of the vital bonding time with his new boat via cleaning the engine room and redoing it from top to bottom? It is an important step for showing how loved the boat is. :)

koliver wrote:

do tell - what is the power in that 66 le mans?

v8 - 326

Back
Top Bottom