View Single Post
Old 02-11-2016, 05:36 PM   #1
timjet
Guru

When's it time to sell the boat

We have owned our boat for almost 6 years. We’ve cruised the ICW north and south and the Chesapeake. We’ve done the Bahamas and the Keys. Lived on the boat for 5 months in ’14 and 3 months in ’15. It took 3 years to chase the gremlins off the boat but it has worked almost flawlessly since then. I love this boat, goes fast when we want and has plenty of room for its size, at least for us 2. But I recently retired and I’m trying to justify keeping it. The cost is draining but not overwhelming.

My wife is a homebody and truth be known to some extent so am I. I use to enjoy woodworking but except for a few projects for the boat, that endeavor has largely been ignored since buying the boat. Being retired time is not so much of a constraint as far as doing the things I want. So I could keep the boat and do the things around the house, but the cost of keeping it is preventing me from doing other things.

I guess I should admit I think the boat is becoming boring. I lived and boated our local area for the past 25 years so at least for around here it’s the “been there done that” syndrome. Our favorite anchorage is clogged with derelict boats and the area has not totally recovered from the recent recession. The high end grocery store and some shopping areas haven’t made it back yet.

I have been looking at RV’s, maybe a 34 footer that will be comfortable enough to hop around Florida and then when the times right sped a few months touring the west. I found the challenge of operating the boat rewarding. Don’t think that will happen as much with an RV. My god I’ve heard they don’t even have chart plotters or an anchor, what’s there to talk and argue about?

I need a new car, my ‘01 Infinity Q45 is starting to show it’s age. So I’m looking at a toad. In the RV world that’s a car that can be towed behind an RV. My wife doesn’t want to sell the boat yet, and I don’t really want to either, but in the not too distant future …..
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote