Do you use statute miles and mph or nautical miles and knots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

When cruising on major waterways I

• Always use nautical miles and knots

Votes: 36 59.0%
  • Use both, based on where I'm cruising

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Use both, based on who I'm talking to

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Use both, for other reasons

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Always use statute miles and mph

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters

BandB

Guru
Simple poll on statute miles and mph vs nautical miles and knots.

Nautical miles and knots.

Ted

SM/MPH

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Knots/nautical miles

I do knot youse miles per hour, unless I'm sailing my fiver. On tha water I uses knautical knots (per hour). At work I use mach number. Sorry, winter fever is high.

Knots and nautical miles when offshore.

Statute miles when in the ICW and inland rivers.

Nautical miles and knots.

Some and particularly smaller boats around here use kilometers and KPH.

Last edited:
Always use knots and NM on our Sea Ray. Always use miles and mph on our Whalers because they're on lakes and rivers with no long distances involved.

Me too: Knots and nautical miles when offshore. Statute miles when in the ICW and inland rivers.

However all charts here are in meters, but I still set depth sounders to feet. Habits.

I set all my navigation tools to knots and NM, but mentally convert to Statute sometimes on the ICW.... and when I am calculating fuel mileage per gallon!

Knots and NM under normal conditions; MPH and SM when the "current" chart uses those instead.

-Chris

I set all my navigation tools to knots and NM, but mentally convert to Statute sometimes on the ICW.... and when I am calculating fuel mileage per gallon!

Fuel mileage for me is always nmpg or gpnm.

Nautical miles and knots, both off shore and in inland waters. I established my approach to navigation and stuck with it, fearing that I would get confused if I switched back and forth.

I use both. One CP is setup for NM and Kts and the other CP is SM and MPH.

Knots off shore and statute miles on the ICW, because ICW mile markers are posted in statute miles. Makes computations easier.

Gordon

All the guide books list distances on the ICW in SM and locations as SM from MM 0, so it's much easier to just convert to SM if you're going North or South on the ICW. Everything else KM but does it really matter?

All the guide books list distances on the ICW in SM and locations as SM from MM 0, so it's much easier to just convert to SM if you're going North or South on the ICW. Everything else KM but does it really matter?
Doesn't matter one tiny bit other than keeping it straight between watches if info is passed and misinterpreted.

Fuel mileage for me is always nmpg or gpnm.

Statute miles always made me feel better when calculating MPG, or GPM as the case may be... purely a psychological thing. I'm a pleasure boater, what can I say?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom