adding a support shelf in engine room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodsong

Guru
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
I want to move the battery banks on our trawler to a new location. *Space I want to put them is not flat. *I am thinking instead of epoxying in a full set up that I can get some painted plywood and just set them a good bead of 4200 or 5200 (4200 being the non-permenant solution but still strong enough?). *Any reason that is a dumb idea? *On one side I would bolt a ledger board into a non-critial bulkhead in the engine room and then screw that side of the support shelf down so just the one side (outboard) would be set in 4200.

Batteries are heavy , I woykd treat the mounts as if it were new engine beds.

Loose batts can start fires , mucho amps flying about!

Grind the mount area and GRP (epoxy resin) whatever will keep them in place.

Yes I would not skimp on support. Do it up strong. Overdoing it won't hurt you here. MAke sure the shelf is big enough for tiedown mounts.

Where your new supports are epoxied to the hull I would than tab them in place with a couple layers of fiberglass cloth and resin.* Remove any dirt and sand the paint off so the tabbing bonds with the hull.

Never had any come loose using this method.

JohnP

FF is right. You need to bed the non mechanicaly fastened bits with epoxy. After you build it coat the whole thing with two coats of slow set epoxy, thinning the first coat 10% so it soaks into the plywood. Use 3/4 ply.

Is there an universal thinner for epoxy?

Woodsong wrote:

...I am thinking instead of epoxying in a full set up that I can get some painted plywood and just set them a good bead of 4200 or 5200 (4200 being the non-permenant solution but still strong enough?....
I would take the time and glass (or epoxy) in the plywood.**You will*need to secure the batteries and boxes.* When we re-did the*batteries*on*Hobo, we had to add a platform for the start batteries.* We glassed it in*outboard of the muffler and then*thru-bolted the box and straps.* You could turn the boat upside down and nothing is going to move.* The picture below is just after the first coat of gelcoat* covering the new glass work.

Attachments

• boat wiring 020.jpg
    boat wiring 020.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 87
Larry,
That looks first rate- as does your Lehman 135! Did you detail the engine yourself? Can you post some more ER pics?

THanks for the input- I knew the answer but was hoping you all would let me do it the quick way. :) Some of you all have some immaculate engine rooms!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom