Has anyone flown the Great Loop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stubones99

Guru
I heard about the guy in the pontoon boat setting a great loop speed record, but what about flying the great loop?

I know some of you gents are prop jockeys, the thought occurred to me that it might be fun to fly the loop, stopping where you want.

And then I saw this:

Explore the A5 - ICON Aircraft

Sure, it's not done yet, but when it is, assuming it flies as easily as it should being a high wing pusher amphibious airplane, that would be quite fun. I don't know the regs on landing on water (been too many years since flight school) but if you could land and go sight seeing, you could blast past the parts that didn't interest you and concentrate on those that did.

As long as it does not interfere with boat traffic, can an amphibious aircraft land and take-off on any water?

No, there are some places with restrictions. I believe in NJ, there are only 2 small "seaplane ports". Rumor had it a influential politicians son was killed in a seaplane so the guy wanted seaplanes killed. Can't verify the story but sure smacks of reality.

In my reading I have seen where the state lands and federal lands either permit it only in certain areas, at certain times or say by "permit only". So while some areas aren't out of the question...the hoops may not be worth the trouble.

I have at a couple thousand feet or less flown over the Miss from Baton Rouge to the Gulf. Some of the Tenn-Tombigbee, the whole Gulf Coast ICW, the whole Atlantic ICW, most of the Hudson, and from Traverse City Michigan to Niagara Falls.

So not entirely but a pretty good chunk and mostly from altitudes to see the boaters smile and wave back...which is definitely the best part.

Last edited:
What size anchor does It use?

I think it would take the fun out of it.

We looked into doing the "little loop" by car and it would take less than a day to cover what took a whole summer. Kind of defeats the point.

Hiking perhaps?

I think it would take the fun out of it.

We looked into doing the "little loop" by car and it would take less than a day to cover what took a whole summer. Kind of defeats the point.

Hiking perhaps?

I tend to agree...doing it the slowest way possible seems the best way to absorb it.

20 years ago flying over my cruising grounds was really cool as I could spot great places to anchor or avoid.

Nowadays...you can fly the whole loop at most any altitude from the armchair and Google Earth.

But if you love flying more than boating...it may be a way to combine the 2....but only if you can enjoy a lot of it that may be actually restricted by landings or airspace limitations.

Finding transient morrage would be really difficult. However anchoring's doable (no all chain rodes) and w any but the smallest floatplanes an aluminum canoe makes a good tender. Would need a hotel every night though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom