New Use For IPS Drive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shark fishing:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 137
Oh no! I guess soon they will be banned!

I have always though the IPS would make a great house battery with all the dissimilar metals ..

One thing I noticed was if you're swimming within earshot of an pod drive, you can hear a rattling sound which I am attributing to the gear train, perhaps backlash in the bottom drive? Has anyone else noticed this or was I swimming around a worn out pod drive?

After seeing that picture, I don't think I will be swimming around any pod drives anytime soon!

OK, I assumed everyone here knows that you can hear a prop from a good / safe distance away. When snorkeling in the keys, it seemed like I could hear one boat better than others, and it turned out to be a pod drive boat (two pods), I think IPS.

Whenever they were maneuvering and switching from forward to reverse, the props sounded like it was clattering underwater. An outboard boat was much higher pitch with almost no engine noise, and inboard more bass engine noise and slower prop noise.

I agree that swimming near a pod drive (or any other prop) is a bad idea.

Wonder if it has anything to do with the contra-rotating drive?

Stu/Capt Bill-Nope, don't normally swim around props of any kind!

Stu-doesn't part of the shifting on pods take place down in the foot of the drive? I may be off base but that could be a source of the noise.

"Imagine what they could do to a Manatee?"

The Manatee is now off the endangered specie list , so my bride is finally able to sell her MANATEE COOK BOOK!

The Manatee is now off the endangered specie list , so my bride is finally able to sell her MANATEE COOK BOOK!

Hmmm...one catch would last for months. nonono.

Manatee cookbook?

Does she want a Kindle version of it??

Stu/Capt Bill-Nope, don't normally swim around props of any kind!

Stu-doesn't part of the shifting on pods take place down in the foot of the drive? I may be off base but that could be a source of the noise.

I don't know and pretty sure it can vary depending on vendor.

Logic prevailing it would make sense to leave the transmission upstairs and only have the planetary drive in the foot. That way, if you trip over a log and leave it behind, you lose only the foot. Since the pods rotate around their shaft, having to route a shift linkage down to the foot would be a pain. Of course, that's just using Spock logic, and we all know that logic and business don't always mix.

That is an interesting picture. It's hard to imagine the situation where shark would run in to the prop like that

I don't think we have to worry to much about loose gears in pods they probably wont be showing up in Trawler types for another couple of years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom