View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 02:47 AM   #4
FF
Guru

RE: Tips for a newbie using a generator?

"Can I run the generator to charge my batteries, then run my lights/appliances off the batteries?"

Yes but it is very expensive in gen set time and fuel used.

"Do I run the generator when I need to have a high load that would be more than the batteries can handle?"

Yes but it is far cheaper to use a following inverter if the high load is just transient.

"If I am running the engines daily while cruising, is that enough to keep batteries topped, or do I still need to run the generator?"

Depends , but with a sailboat style 3 stage V regulator you have the best chance of full batts.

"If I have the boat on a mooring all summer, can I run my fridge constantly, and have the generator kick on automatically to charge the batteries and keep the fridge running?"

Yes if you dare .

I also have solar panels, need to sort that out.

2 large solar panels will take care of the refrigeration requirements of a GOOD!!! DC reefer.

Soiunds like the boat is set up /equipped to be a dock queen , and you will need to convert to a cruiser.

Then you can stay out or on a mooring almost effortlessly , and rarely will need the noisemaker , mostly just for air conditioning.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote