Hello from sunny South Africa!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Padda

Hi to all!

Newbie her from South Africa.
Dreaming of owning my own Nordhavn.
Turning that dream into reality in the next 3 to 5 years.

1) Still young (32), lots to learn (will be asking LOTS of questions);
2) Quick learner;
3) Blessed with OCD;
4) Can fix most things myself, if not, get someone that knows, watch them and do it myself next time;
5) Computer nerd by trade (software engineer);
6) Have this constant calling of the ocean in my ears...

If you would like to know anything, feel free to ask.

Welcome!

When you say OCD, are you referring to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder? That is not normally considered a blessing unless one's bank account is irrationally large.

Last edited:
Howzit Padda, welcome to the TF. Originally from Westville and still have family in Zinkwazi.

Welcome to the forum! There's lots of very knowledgable folks here who I've seen been very informative to new people wanting to get in on the game. Spend some time searching previous posts and ask away.

Welcome to the forum Padda! I've been called OCD, hopefully for a good reason.

Ted

Welcome, I used to stop in Durban often in the 70s and 80s when I was selling equipment to the sugar plantations near there. A beautiful place with a nice Yacht Club and harbor, I remember an excellent fish they served, Kingklip, which I have never found anywhere else.
I'm sure any boating questions you have will be answered on this forum.

Welcome!

When you say OCD, are you referring to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder? That is not normally considered a blessing unless one's bank account is irrationally large.

Maybe he meant 'OCD' in inverted commas...maybe better called 'perfectionist', so that might not be so bad. I always thought of myself being one of those. Had to really 'discipline' myself out of that once I got involved with boating though, so beware Paddy. If you can't rein in perfectionist tendencies when boating then you are in for a frustrating time...no boat is ever perfect. Well, maybe Twisted Tree's Nordy 60 comes close..?

Welcome!

Hi Donsan,

Peter B is spot on here and I will take his advice.
However, I don't think that I will be able to do my work if I was not....

I think it is a blessing when maintaining things and following instructions and rules.

But yes.....it can be frustrating at times and the wife let's me know on a regular basis.

Welcome to the forum! There's lots of very knowledgable folks here who I've seen been very informative to new people wanting to get in on the game. Spend some time searching previous posts and ask away.

Thank you Sir!

Trust me.....the more I learn the more I want to learn!:socool:

I have actually been following this forum for about a year before I joined up.
I am very glad I did!

Welcome, I used to stop in Durban often in the 70s and 80s when I was selling equipment to the sugar plantations near there. A beautiful place with a nice Yacht Club and harbor, I remember an excellent fish they served, Kingklip, which I have never found anywhere else.
I'm sure any boating questions you have will be answered on this forum.

Steve,

Thank you!
The Kingklip you refer to is actually my favorite!

I lived up and down the East coast of SA.
When you visited, I was not born yet

If you do visit SA again....
Places you could also visit:
1) Cape Town;
2) Mossel Bay;
3) Plettenberg Bay;
4) Knysna (very dangerous entry);
5) Jeffreys Bay;
6) Gordans Bay.

You will find Kingklip in all of those areas too!

Maybe he meant 'OCD' in inverted commas...maybe better called 'perfectionist', so that might not be so bad. I always thought of myself being one of those. Had to really 'discipline' myself out of that once I got involved with boating though, so beware Paddy. If you can't rein in perfectionist tendencies when boating then you are in for a frustrating time...no boat is ever perfect. Well, maybe Twisted Tree's Nordy 60 comes close..?

Spot on Peter B!

It does come in handy......sometimes....but yes, I am aware that things will need to start changing.

But damn.....it is NOT easy at all!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom