Searching for Grand Banks 32 look a likes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HappyHarry

Hi, a message from The Netherlands.

We do like the GB32 type very much but the are way too expensive in Europe for us.

Now we are searching for look a likes and found:

Island Gypsy 32

Gran Noray 30

Lien HWA 31

Tung HWA 31

If anyone knows additional similairs, please write it down so we can search after those types also in Europe.

Thanks in advance.

Harry

The simularity to the GB32 is what first attracted me to the Island Gypsy 32.

Built by Kong and Halverson,* Mister Kong was the manager (foreman) at the Grandbanks yard before he partnered up with Halverson.

He brought lots of the GB quality in design, cabinetry and fittings with him in the transition.

I am very happy with my IG32 and she is a great boat, in her own right.

JohnP

P.S.* At noon today I head back to the Marina to see how she faired in Irene.

Take care, and happy boat hunting.

HappyHarry wrote:We do like the GB32 type very much but the are way too expensive in Europe for us.
*Harry:* Although I can understand your interest in the GB 32 & consider it to be THE pioneer of trawlers, take a good look (go aboard?) the Island Gypsies. I know there are many in Europe as Halvorsen shipped more of them there than in the US.

Below are some examples of IG 32s & Gourmet Cruisers I'm familiar with.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Sunday 28th of August 2011 09:38:21 AM

Attachments

• white hull.jpg
    white hull.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 184
  • 32 ig (red).jpg
    32 ig (red).jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 120
  • dave hawkins ig 32.jpg
    dave hawkins ig 32.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 139
  • beluga 3.jpg
    beluga 3.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 117
  • morry miller's boat.jpg
    morry miller's boat.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 142
  • strbd.jpg
    strbd.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 122
JohnP wrote:
P.S.* At noon today I head back to the Marina to see how she faired in Irene.

Take care, and happy boat hunting.
We followed it all on the news, hope everything will be allright after Irene...

Thanks for the information.*

Harry

SeaHorse II wrote:HappyHarry wrote:We do like the GB32 type very much but the are way too expensive in Europe for us.
*Harry:* Although I can understand your interest in the GB 32 & consider it to be THE pioneer of trawlers, take a good look (go aboard?) the Island Gypsies. I know there are many in Europe as Halvorsen shipped more of them there than in the US.

Below are some examples of IG 32s & Gourmet Cruisers I'm familiar with.

Thanks for the information and pictures.

I am looking in Europe but till so far only expensive ones. Looking futher tomorrow.

Harry

The IG32 is a close match.* I too was looking at GB32's, and ended up with a 34 Defever.* Well built, more room, less money. Unfortunatlely, there weren't very many of them made (24?), and I'd be surprised if many of them ended up in Europe.*

Here's a link to an article in which Myrna Elliott, the interior designer of the 34 Californian LRC, calls it 'a takeoff on the Grand Banks 32." It then goes on to compare the handling and hulls of the two vessels. The Californians, however, are twins with a significantly different layout which may be disqualifying as a look-alike. Probably not too many available in Europe.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/t16976520/34-californian-articles-specs-and-factory-options-list/

-- Edited by FlyWright on Sunday 28th of August 2011 06:06:48 PM

Back
Top Bottom