Auto pilot choice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daddyo

Guru
Vessel Name
Grace
Vessel Make
DeFever 48
I'm getting ready to fit out a Defever 48 I'm buying and need to install full electronics. The first items are an autopilot for the hydraulic steering and a gps/plotter. I'm liking the new web connected Standard Horizon gps/plotter but was undecided about the auto. I've had Raymarine and Navman/Northstar. Although they were on very different boats I think I liked the Raymarine more. Any thoughts? I also want the capability to add a wireless remote at a later date.

Daddyo wrote:

I'm getting ready to fit out a Defever 48 I'm buying and need to install full electronics. The first items are an autopilot for the hydraulic steering and a gps/plotter. I'm liking the new web connected Standard Horizon gps/plotter but was undecided about the auto. I've had Raymarine and Navman/Northstar. Although they were on very different boats I think I liked the Raymarine more. Any thoughts? I also want the capability to add a wireless remote at a later date.
We installed a Simrad AP24 on Hobo*last spring and it has worked flawlessly. We contacted Simrad via email an gave them the boat and steering specifications. They sized the pump and listed all the components. We bought ours on line for ~$3200 complete. They have a 2 year warranty. I've called them with some basic questions and they have been real supportive. The AP24 system uses NMEA 2000. It will accept NMEA 183 inputs but you will need to buy a converter from Simrad. You can go to their site and download or read all the manuals.

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
Huatulco, Oaxaca, MX

Daddyo,
Personally I would go for a computer based plotter system.Plus you have the advantage of the onboard computer for maintenance systems etc
I have had a few chart plotters Navman/Northstar, Garmin but have allways maintained a computer based system for my main station for the last 16 years.
I have changed software systems a few times but that is just me not the software.
Have stuck with Nobeltec for the last 5 years.

Benn

-- Edited by Tidahapah on Saturday 5th of February 2011 05:35:33 PM

I have both PC based Nobeltec and Furuno plotters. The Furuno is the radar syatem with chart plotting thrown in for "free." I too have a Simrad AP unit.

I'm on my 5th Simrad (5 different boats) and haven't had a problem with any of them.
I did have, however, a ComNav AP on my 30' Mainship that was so simple to use it had me doubting its longevity for awhile. It worked perfectly and I don't think the ComNav folks get nearly enough credit for their product.

I'll second the ComNav. I have it and love it and it is the autopilot of choice for the PNW commercial fishing boats. Also great support with a 800 number.

Ron

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom