Nav station repurpose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1453696354.611362.jpg

My boat has nice nav station/desk area down below that I never use. It seems like a waste of good space, but I can't figure out what else could go there. And the space is not very big.

Any ideas? I was thinking about some kind of a chair but it's not really a spot anyone would really want to sit IMO. The door to the left goes to the head, and the one to the right goes to the small guest bunk room.

Does anyone else have a nav station area they use, or don't use? I just hang out in the pilothouse mostly when planning trips and working on the computer.

Not saying I'm going to do anything, just wondering what others thought about this space.

That'd make a great pantry.

Makeup station for the admiral?

Keith

I would be really happy to have dedicated desk space.

When cruising/living aboard....finding an unused flat space once at anchor or dock is prime for taking care of some computing/paperwork.

But if willing to do major mods, which I wouldn't if contemplating selling, with a door it would be a great pantry if you don't already have a massive one.

Looks like a good pantry / bar storage area .

I probably should just add a chair and use it as a desk/laptop area. The boat is fairly small inside so another place to sit probably makes sense, and DW could use it as a vanity if I put a mirror on there somewhere.

Guess it would need to be a heavy chair that wouldn't slide around underway and would need to slide under when not in use.

The boat has pretty good pantry storage right now.

Maybe a rolling chair, but with lockable wheels?

-Chris

Drawers or shelves across the bottom.Maybe a big red Craftsman tool chest would fit in that space.

Some sailboat nav stations have a swivel chair that bolts to the wall. When not in use it pivots under the nav station or against the wall. Here are a couple examples.

Swing Out — CROWN LTD

Attachments

• New-Website-Swing-resize-1[1].png
    New-Website-Swing-resize-1[1].png
    114.5 KB · Views: 226
  • 4861121_20141208064151918_1_xlarge[1].jpg
    4861121_20141208064151918_1_xlarge[1].jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 220
Some nice doors to cover up the workshop!!!...... ALL the tools nicely organized.... a small vice..... Oh yeah.

That's an interesting idea....

4x5 negative film holder changing area with pre-development storage & filing and general camera equipment cleaning/storage area. With blackout sleeves and a lightproof cabinet, maybe even tray development of negatives would be doable. Might not be "your thing" though...

Last edited:
4x5 negative film holder changing area with pre-development storage & filing and general camera equipment cleaning/storage area. With blackout sleeves and a lightproof cabinet, maybe even tray development of negatives would be doable. Might not be "your thing" though...

People still develop film? ?

People still develop film? ?

Yes, just like there are people that own wood boats. It's a hobby for the sake of the art. Not wide spread, but still out there.

I have an "enlarger" for sale if you want to get started......:D

��������

I'm from Texas. Those things confuse me.

That's 'cus you're sitting on it all wrong. Don't approach it like a horse and throw your leg over it. Turn around and sit down, 'Dude! :D

I'd go for a tool chest/bar combo! Finish the work and open the bar. You're already there!!

Hang a sign with one side that says "MEN AT WORK" and the flip side "BAR OPEN"

Well, I would suggest you ask your bride what she thinks would be best in that nav station. Would she like a vanity? A place for the kids to play on their computers? Or a craft corner?

Let her decide.

Well, I would suggest you ask your bride what she thinks would be best in that nav station. Would she like a vanity? A place for the kids to play on their computers? Or a craft corner?

Let her decide.

Hmmmm.......

Since it was a NAV station me thinks it's on HIS side of the ledger.

Unless she is the navigator and was using it, which it doesn't sound like.

Last edited:
Nobody uses this nav table. We just blindly follow the little icon on the Garmin plotter.

?

Your kids would like a soda fountain/ice cream bar combo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 47
My boys are soph in HS and a freshman at LSU. Probably more interested in the bar.

Huh. If it were free space on my boat, I know what it would have to be.

Attachments

• shoe closet.jpg
    shoe closet.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 197
Back
Top Bottom