Shore Power Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fletch

Vessel Name
Nickel Plate
Vessel Make
Jeanneau Velasco 43
My marina discovered shore power connection came loose after a weekend of heavy winds and slipped into the water, looked to have been under about 1.5 ft of water based on the scum line, was probably there about 2 or three days on the scum line. The marine election at my Marina suggested it might by wise to replace to preclude issue with saltwater intrusion, and perhaps cut back the cable. Any thoughts, other than next time make damn sure its locked it, and use backup bungy cord to make sure it doesnt come loose again? Thanks, Barry

If the cord has excess length and your handy, cut 5' off the end and install a new plug. Otherwise, buy a new cord. Not a bad idea to take a 1/4" line and secure the cord to the pedestal to prevent it from happening again.

Must of been some amazing winds to undo a twist lock cord connection. You do know that you twist the plug after inserting it in the receptacle, don't you?

Ted

I just had to replace one that got wet a short while ago. In my opinion, it's not a matter of if it will go bad, but when it will go bad. Might as well cut it shorter and attach a new plug on your schedule without the risk of an electrical overheat.

If it's a 30 a cord they're cheap, so replace it. Then if the old cord is in OK shape maybe cut it down be 10 or so feet, put a new end on it and you'll have a short cord you can use.

Thanks guys, will replace, it probably came loose because the twist lock is not what I would call extremely robust, and I didn't insure that the radial tension in the line was driving it toward locking the twist. Or I could have been sloppy, won't be the first, or probably last time :). The 1/4 inch line is a great idea as backup.

Most power cords have a jute or hemp spacing would in with the wire,

Cut off a foot strip the wire see if the spacing material is dry.

If not keep cutting till you get to dry wire ,,, have fun.

Rinse the plug end in fresh water with a bit of joy , and scrub with a tooth brush as much as you can to remove salt.

Last edited:
If it's a 30 a cord they're cheap, so replace it. Then if the old cord is in OK shape maybe cut it down be 10 or so feet, put a new end on it and you'll have a short cord you can use.

+1

I have one of the double sided Velcro straps made for keeping coiled up cords neat. I keep it on my power cord at the boat end. It serves a double purpose; I use it to keep the cord coiled up when not in use and to take the strain off the cord and plug when in use by wrapping it around a nearby rail on the boat.

As for your cord, replacing is the safest. If you feel confident in replacing the plug on the old cord you could do that.

Back
Top Bottom