Deciding which boat to buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think of a flybridge as cheap real estate. You already have a hull and propulsion system. It adds footage within the existing "foot print" of the vessel. We have a flybridge and it is where everyone wants to be while cruising in our climate.

Forkliftt wrote:

We have a flybridge and it is where everyone wants to be while cruising in our climate.
Good point.* I have said why we don't believe in running the boat from a flying bridge, but that does not alter the fact that it is a very popular place for guests we have taken on cruises to hang out.* The venturi does a reasonable job of keeping the wind off them and even on cold-ish days we've had guests who spent most of an entire run each day*up there.* We have a portable GPS plotter that we can put in a mount up there so they can see where we're at and there is an intercom between the helm station and the flying bridge if they have questions or whatever.* And once we get to where we're going it's a nice place to sit and watch things.

So in that respect*we're glad the boat has a flying bridge.* In terms of actually operating the boat it is of no value to us.

"very popular place for guests "

Usually guests want to SEE the water , and sadly few boats can have a great crowd handling view from inside or a tiny cockpit , so up on the roof is the best view of water.

My boat looks like a wedding cake.

Someone wrote about a boat for sale in Florida, you said it was a good deal for this type of boat -- I lost the message.* What was it? Could someone re submit it for me? Thanks.

Go to Florida Mariner , a sales magazine and review all the boats , trawlers , commercial , and antiques to find your dream boat at 1/2? the PNW or New England price.

Its a buyers market!

Another point I make about flybridges is that if your passages are going to be extended(even on a daily basis...ie 12 hour days), it is nice to be able to get some distance between you and whoever else is on your boat. I love my wife dearly. But it is kinda cool that she is able to lay down in the V-berth while I am running the boat on the flybridge and we expereince a little alone time even though we are only a few feet from each other.....jus sayin'!

I love*our enclosed fly bridge. In the PNW it is a solarium in sunny weather above 40 degrees and is a great place to watch things from. For a dockside or anchor party it is the place to be. When the weather is crappy we just go "below." As Baker says, it gives escape space with a much better view than the ER.

....and realize when I reference "flybridge", I am referring to a past boat.....and a future one!

Susan wrote:

From your photo I'm wondering if that is Mainship?* or not.* That would be another choice possibly.* Any comments on that one?
Yes that is a Mainship 34t 2006 single Yanmar 370 HP.

As some have said the flybridge may or may not be used a lot in PNW but as someone else has said it is free added space with in the footprint of the boat.* One thing to consider is if you do not have it you can not use it.* But if it is there you do not have to use it.

We went with the Mainship for a couple of reasons.* This is our first Trawler coming from sail.* We found out with sail boats*that there is never the ultimate*last boat.* Mainship was not our first choice but as we looked at more and more boats it quickly moved up the ladder when considering the bang for the buck.* We thought that a under $200K mistake was easier to fix than an under $400k mistake would be and we still feel that way.* We are quite happy with the Mainship we have chosen.

One more comment about the flybridge.* It is like AC.* In the PNW I'm sure you will be told that here is no need for AC and this may be true.**And there are folks on the upper*east coast*that feel the same way.* The problem is that it will limit the resale value and the number of potential buyers.* If you don't need AC don't use it there is no cost to maintaining it if you do not use it.* But someone may want to look at the boat to buy it and will not because of the lack of AC.* The same holds true with the flybridge.* People do crazy things.* We looked at a boat that was in the NW, when we hadn't wrapped our head around a Mainship as of yet, with the idea of using it up there for a summer or two and then having it shipped to NC by truck.* Being a NT that is done all of the time.* But what stopped us was it did not have AC and we knew that we would need AC when it got here and we might want it while it was there.* So we moved on and we are not sorry that we did.

There are some very nice Mainships in the PNW for sale.

So take all the good advice you get with a grain of salt and pick something that you like.* It will be a compromise at best no matter which you chose.

But just think how much more seaworthy your'e boat will be without that big heavy thing way up over the roof of your main deck not to mention the windage of the bird cage on top of that. However there are times when the beam sea is light and all that fluff stuff may act like a steadying sail. But when the going gets nasty I'm sure glad some PO took the FB off my Willy. This is the place for opinions** right???

nomadwilly wrote:But just think how much more seaworthy your'e boat will be without that big heavy thing way up over the roof of your main deck not to mention the windage of the bird cage on top of that. However there are times when the beam sea is light and all that fluff stuff may act like a steadying sail. But when the going gets nasty I'm sure glad some PO took the FB off my Willy. This is the place for opinions** right???
Right.**On my boat if need be the canvas comes off in less than an hour and the windage isn't a factor.* Everyone uses their boat in a different way and in different weather to be sure.

Eric

Most*"trawler" boats over 45' have fly bridges, you can't get away from it.* Selenes, Nordhavns, Flemings, DeFevers, Grand Banks, OA, etc they all have them. For good reason, they are a great place to hang out. Windage you are correct if you are doing an ocean cruise.* Like JD says, take the side panels down if you are concerned. His boat, Mainship, has some of the nicest fly bridge setups for their size. It is what helps sell them.

-- Edited by sunchaser on Sunday 6th of February 2011 11:04:27 AM

Susan

In case I missed it in earlier posts -- before you invest in a used vessel, check the engine archives section of boatdiesel.com It will be a very well spent $25. Engines to avoid and engines to buy will stand out. You can even post your questions to the experts there.

You may want to check out the AT 395, it is a stretched 34.

sunchaser wrote:Eric
Like JD says, take the side panels down if you are concerned. His boat, Mainship, has some of the nicest fly bridge setups for their size. It is what helps sell them.
You got that right.* We can seat at least eight and sometime more when at the dock.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom