Ipad useful? not useful?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PS....every single major Airline that uses tablets to supplement charts and manuals uses the iPad. It is more stable. Battery power is alway better on iPad because of what I said above. I personally think it is easier to view in direct sunlight...although none are made specifically for that.

We have a iPod (POD, not PAD) that we got as a door prize somewhere... so we use it for tunes. The display developed a "sun spot" (for lack of a better term) in one corner, so that the display in that area is not readable at all.

Don't know what caused it, but suspect heat from being stored above, even in covered storage on our covered bridge. That said, we never left it in direct sunlight, hardly ever used in sunlight at all.. so... dunno.

It's no spring chicken at this point, either, so maybe newer iThing displays wouldn't have issues anyway. Although I've read that tablet -- in general, I think, maybe not just Apple products -- will sometimes shut themselves off for thermal protection.

Our Android screens are easily enough visible during full daylight, but again we're on a covered helm so we can move the sucker out of direct sunlight if necessary.

-Chris

Although I've read that tablet -- in general, I think, maybe not just Apple products -- will sometimes shut themselves off for thermal protection.

-Chris

I think Apple products are likely the worse(or best for protection purposes) at this. If you leave an Apple product in direct sunlight, it WILL shut down for thermal protection. Most of their displays are dark when shut off and attract heat rapidly. It is tempting to throw your iPad up on the glareshield in the airplane...if the sun is up there, it will probably overheat in less than 10 minutes. So you just have to be careful about that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom