Testing Drinking Water for Bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sammy999

Is there a test kit available for testing your on-board water for bacteria? I researched the forum best I could and found a lot of info on using filters for solid contaminates but not much on testing for bacteria; except to maybe add chlorine.

I'm looking for a way to cut back on the amount of bottled water we take along for drinking and cooking. Does anyone have an alternative to all those gallon bottles of water?

I was thinking if I could test the water after filling our tanks at the different locations we could save our bottled water for when the potable water is not the safest for drinking.

Is a watermaker our only alternative?

Thanks for any insight!

Home Depot carries water test kits where you collect a sample and send it off to be analyzed. Should be the same way that you do with home drinking water.

I have a 5 stage RO filter but that wouldn't pass enough water to refill your tanks in a reasonable amount of time. I think it filters about 75 gallons a day tops. If you're in fresh water, an RO filter and a pressure pump would work. Just pick up fresh water and use the pressure pump to force it through the RO filter and the output goes in your capture pressure tank and the waste goes back overboard. That would be a cheap $250 or so water-maker solution. The 5th stage is UV to kill any bacteria, although I don't know in what order each stage is processed.

Stu

I researched the forum best I could and found a lot of info on using filters for solid contaminates but not much on testing for bacteria; except to maybe add chlorine.

Most cruisers just add chlorine (bleach). Personally, I don't use the freshwater tanks for drinking, though. Bringing along some bottled water really doesn't really take up all that much space. Cooking with the freshwater tanks is fine, IMO (assuming the chlorine).

Last edited:
Since I only ever put municipal/treated water in my tanks, I have no concerns about drinking it. I understand that doesn't mean I can't get stuff growing in there, but I'm pretty careful about it.

That said, I do like to filter the water for taste and for years have been using a Brita water pitcher that I keep topped off & in the fridge. These home use filter products remove chemicals, pharmaceuticals & bacteria (levels vary).

Because I'm tired of constantly refilling the pitcher, especially when I have guests, I recently switched to a PUR 18 Cup Dispenser that sits on my counter next to the sink. Amazon sells them for less than $30.

I don't change the filter anywhere near as often as they say you should. The water tastes great, guests like it and it's a cheap & easy solution for me.

I Clorox my tanks and use Seagul filter SX for potable water. The chorine kills and the filter removes chlorine and protozoa and bacteria. The down side is that the volume of flow from the filter is low but it fills cups and pots fine.

I think you would need to look at the water through a microscope to see the bacteria.

There are many do it yourself test kits for e-coli and total coliforms. As to their accuracy and completeness I am not all that confident. I do think they are better than nothing and give some indication. If they turn purple, I wouldn't drink it. For a complete test though you need to put the cultures on slides and let them grow and look under a microscope.

I think you would need to look at the water through a microscope to see the bacteria.

Put the inside of your elbow under the same microscope and you will see millions of bacteria.

Yes, millions.

In fact, they cover much of our skin and are necessary for healthy skin.

Check the listings in your local town for environmental testing laboratories. Checking for drinking water standards is time tested, cheap, and easy for a competent certified lab. The lab will provide the necessary sampling containers.

I have aluminum fresh water tanks and had my local lab test for Cam 7 metals along with drinking water standards. Our water tested fine for bacteria and other drinking water contaminants but high for aluminum. We drink bottled water...

We drink water direct from our 30 year old tanks without filtration. It tastes fine to me.

Overly cautious? We get used to what is in our local water. Visit urbanized parts of Asia,eg Philippines, you find the locals drink the water with impunity but a visiting "local" living overseas will be affected, as will a visitor, from say Australia, and need to obtain purified water which is readily available and seems reliable.
But, as a precaution we don`t drink water from our tanks,though we probably could, it looks and smells fine. We refill 10L "Spring" water containers with "tap" to take onboard and take a supply of tap water from home for the espresso machine.
Not sure why we don`t refill at the marina, habit I guess, and the fact that at one Hawkesbury river marina(D`Albora in Akuna Bay) the tap water was yellowish in color.

The Jimmy Carter test is to drink the water ,

and if you observe monster sized rabbits attacking your boat , get new water.

Is there a test kit available for testing your on-board water for bacteria? I researched the forum best I could and found a lot of info on using filters for solid contaminates but not much on testing for bacteria; except to maybe add chlorine.

I'm looking for a way to cut back on the amount of bottled water we take along for drinking and cooking. Does anyone have an alternative to all those gallon bottles of water?

I was thinking if I could test the water after filling our tanks at the different locations we could save our bottled water for when the potable water is not the safest for drinking.

Is a watermaker our only alternative?

Thanks for any insight!

Get an under counter RO system. Or just a good under counter filter. In reality a lot of bottle water isn't much better than your average US tap water.

It's pretty rare that some one get sick from boat water. But if you're paranoid about it, get a point of use UV light or a whole house size copper/silver ionizer.

Last edited:
Does anyone have an alternative to all those gallon bottles of water? !

Our cruising grounds have been the PNW for the past ten years. No shortage of good dock water. We preach water conservation when guests and family onboard.

We carry two five gallon jugs of good dock water for drinking. Bottled water is carried but not often used. We also bleach our tanks several times a month. Every spring a thorough rinse and bleaching is done. With 400 gallons of onboard storage RO is not necessary for first two weeks. Even when offshore or remote cruising we do fine this way.

But in Mexico, Latin America, Bahamas etc a water maker seems a must.

Camping World has a number of products that will keep your tanks fresh

I think that if you put only "known good" water in your tanks and use a drinking water safe hose that's used for no other purpose and kept secured when not in use so your slip neighbors won't use it to rinse their holding tanks, you will be just fine. Let the water run for several minutes before filling the tanks.

City water is tested on a regular basis and treated as necessary. If you have to use well water, add an ounce of chlorine bleach (unscented).

We have been drinking our "boat water" for many years without problems. WE often fill water bottles from the boat's system just because we can keep the water in the refrigerator and it's more convenient than glasses or cups.

Whether home or on a boat, we drink only bottled water.

Still, that doesn't mean we aren't careful about the rest of the water. The second most risk one has to bacteria is in the shower. There it is a small percentage of risk from the water source, but even larger from bacteria in the shower head, especially on one that goes through periods of non use. They need to be removed, disassembled, thoroughly soaked and cleaned periodically.

Sammy999,

I installed a whole-house filter (Home Depot) before the fresh water pump. Since we usually tank up from treated town water (some chlorine and fluoride), I use charcoal filter elements. I also use a Brita filter pitcher for drinking water. That should cut down on the bottled water.

Whether home or on a boat, we drink only bottled water. ..........

Why? When I was growing up, bottled water hadn't been invented yet. We all drank city water if we lived in the city and well water if we didn't. We did just fine. My wife grew up on well water and both of us drank it for over twenty years until we retired and moved to a home (and marina) with city water.

I suspect bottle water has been promoted solely for the financial interests of the companies selling it. If you read the labels, much of the bottled water originates from a city water system somewhere. If nothing else, bottled water causes a lot of unnecessary plastic bottles to be produced, used once, and thrown out contributing to pollution and the filling up of landfill space.

We do use bottled water for drinking on the boat , but we use the tank water for everything else. I'm not too fussy but I've just watched way too many boaters stick the fresh water hose down the waste inlets to rinse out the holding tanks during pumpout.

After I graduated High School I spent a summer in the jungle in Venezuela where my father was an engineer on a hydroelectric dam project. There was a large town for all the construction workers to live in, since the nearest civilization was two hours away. The Americans and other European workers all had bottled water brought in. The Venezuelans used tap water that came from the river. Someone got the bright idea to have the bottled water tested. It tested the same as the river water. The company was filling the bottles right from the river. They had been using the water for three years before the test, and nobody had gotten sick. Maybe we're worrying too much. That's not to say there isn't bad water out there, much of it coming from our own municipal water systems.

Why? When I was growing up, bottled water hadn't been invented yet. We all drank city water if we lived in the city and well water if we didn't. We did just fine. My wife grew up on well water and both of us drank it for over twenty years until we retired and moved to a home (and marina) with city water.

I suspect bottle water has been promoted solely for the financial interests of the companies selling it. If you read the labels, much of the bottled water originates from a city water system somewhere. If nothing else, bottled water causes a lot of unnecessary plastic bottles to be produced, used once, and thrown out contributing to pollution and the filling up of landfill space.

First, as to the bottles. Nearly all the plastic bottles from bottled water are recyclable and a huge percentage of them are recycled plastic.

As to the water, when you were young the water quality was much different than today. I've read the water reports of the areas I've lived with the good and the bad. I also know my bottled water originates from city water but is then further treated.

If I only drank occasional water, I'd probably do differently, but water is what we drink almost exclusively. So taste and quality are both very important. We each average about 6 x 16 oz. bottles per day. We drink no tea, coffee, or soft drinks.

I don't know the water in your city, but do in mine and did in my previous home. As to water along the way, I don't know.

But that brings us to one more point. Let's assume the city water is excellent. That says nothing of the miles and miles of decaying pipes running underground to get it from the source to your home. It also doesn't speak to the quality of the pipes from there to your faucets in your home. And it most definitely does not speak to the delivery of the water to the marina locations or of the piping from the road to the marina, to the docks and to your boat. There are a tremendous number of places for the quality and safety to be broken down. The water at your home faucet or reaching your water tank in your boat is far different than the water produced by the city at their plant. It is also less safe, varying by degree in different circumstances. Bottled water doesn't start with safer water, but it does have a safer delivery method in most situations. Now, I'm only referring to bottled city water, not to spring water. Bottled spring water is decidedly less safe than bottled city water.

Most of you drink boiled water (coffee and tea) and factory processed water (soft drinks, beer, juice) for the majority of your water consumption. The average person only drinks a couple of glasses a day of plain water. We each drink 12 a day.

And we have out of curiosity done testing on our own. Part of this grew up out of observation living on the lake where many homes and businesses did not have enough land to have their septic tank and well adequately separated. We've seen some very bad water test results that clearly indicated contamination along the way. This had nothing to do with the quality of the city water.

I would drink water from our watermaker long before I would drink water from a marina. I've had control of it and it's treatment. I don't know anything about the marina water.

I'm not asking anyone to change what they're doing. But we are very comfortable with our choice and will stick with it.

In order to answer your question- No there is not a self administered bacterial test for the water on your boat that you can do from various locations unless you wish to invest in some lab equipment. Typical bact-t tests require submission to an approved lab within 36 hrs. of collecting the sample. At that point the lab will incubate the sample for 24 hours then scan for coliforms.

For all that say their water looks or tastes fine, that is great but it has noting to do with the potential of bacteria present.

One of the reasons most municipal systems use chlorine as an agent in killing bacteria is that it leaves a residual amount of chlorine after it has killed the bacteria. This residual amount of chlorine can easily be tested on board, in the field , or anywhere along the distribution lines. If the chlorine is present there is no bacteria. Easy test time proven results. Hach Company makes a total chlorine test kit for about $40.00 bucks.

Like I wrote in post #9 above, it's not the lack of bacteria in drinking water test results that give us the green light to drink from our boat tanks. In our case it's the aluminum tanks which taint our water with levels of dissolved aluminum that are higher than accepted National Drinking Water Standards. That's why we have chosen to drink bottled water on the boat. My recommendation: Sample the water from your boat tap and have a certified laboratory analyze it for metals along with other parameters for safe drinking water. Then make your decision.

Like I wrote in post #9 above, it's not the lack of bacteria in drinking water test results that give us the green light to drink from our boat tanks. In our case it's the aluminum tanks which taint our water with levels of dissolved aluminum that are higher than accepted National Drinking Water Standards. That's why we have chosen to drink bottled water on the boat. My recommendation: Sample the water from your boat tap and have a certified laboratory analyze it for metals along with other parameters for safe drinking water. Then make your decision.

Which I omitted but is just one more part of that chain from the city water supply to your faucet. Buy a home where the water has been off a while and just look at what comes through when it's turned back on. Or watch when they clean the lines at the street. There are some cities today with water lines that are really in bad shape. Most of the water infrastructures in the US are meeting the end of their useful life. Chicago has a lead issue. Look at Toledo, Flint and Detroit. D. C. has a lead issue. L. A.'s water pipes are rusting out. Atlanta's problem isn't the source but the poorly maintained distribution system. Then you toss in the hoses to and on your boat and the tanks. No thanks.

Reality....it is often more about the person than the water.

Water is just like food, chemicals, drugs, allergies, etc...etc...

Some of us can drink somewhere close to sewage and be fine....others not so much.

People are gonna eat and drink whatever they want, feel is going to make them happy or live longer.

But generally...genetics makes you live longer probably as much as anything...other stuff only to a point but some need to be careful to make it as long as they think they can.

Water is the universal solvent. Sooner or later everything will pass through the water cycle. Presently the water systems that I maintain test for over 280 potential contaminants. Bacteria was the question in the OP but yes, metals, Volitale Organic compounds (VOC) Inorganics, radiological, nitrates and a host of others including chemicals that are produced as byproducts of the water treatment processes. Most of your municipal systems are maintained to the water meter at the consumer ends so yes the pipes should be tested and maintained also. Most of the lead or copper problems that are mentioned above are primarily due to household plumbing old lead pipes, copper and bronze fittings etc.. coupled with water that may have a ph problem and is corrosive. At that point the system should be treating with a ph adjustment.

Most of the lead or copper problems that are mentioned above are primarily due to household plumbing old lead pipes, copper and bronze fittings etc.. coupled with water that may have a ph problem and is corrosive. At that point the system should be treating with a ph adjustment.

A lot of them are household, but a lot are a breakdown of the municipal systems.

Most of your municipal systems are maintained to the water meter at the consumer ends so yes the pipes should be tested and maintained also.

In our town, My water is tested every 3 months, at our faucets. Somehow we got into a municipal testing program and every 3 months draw a sample for the town. They send us a full analysis after the testing. As a bonus, they pay us $50 a test as we're pretty reliable. We're just a random sample in a strategic location I assume. On the boat, we just run some of this tap water through a Britta and keep 3-4 gallons on the boat for coffee and drinking. The rest comes from the Poly boat tanks.
Not worried about Bacteria...Our bodies need a certain amount of that to work well...:)

Last edited:
In our town, My water is tested every 3 months, at our faucets. Somehow we got into a municipal testing program and every 3 months draw a sample for the town. They send us a full analysis after the testing. As a bonus, they pay us $50 a test as we're pretty reliable. We're just a random sample in a strategic location I assume. On the boat, we just run some of this tap water through a Britta and keep 3-4 gallons on the boat for coffee and drinking. The rest comes from the Poly boat tanks.

That's great that they're testing like that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom