Easy Docker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I have a friend of mine that swears by this product and stated it has saved him many times when trying to get to the dock when it is very windy. So much so he said he was sure it would break, but didn't.

Kinda spendy though.

EZ Docker – AlumaFab, Inc.

Just go all the way......

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 12.34.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 12.34.48 PM.png
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,593
Am I missing something here? You would likely use that when the winds are howling, and it likely would be your admiral standing on the bow trying to toss it onto the dock. And then she's supposed to be strong enough to pull the bow of the boat against a strong wind?

Am I missing something here?

Am I missing something here? You would likely use that when the winds are howling, and it likely would be your admiral standing on the bow trying to toss it onto the dock. And then she's supposed to be strong enough to pull the bow of the boat against a strong wind?

Am I missing something here?

She would not be pulling the boat in. Either I or her would be at the helm, the line side of the hook would be secured to a boat cleat before you throw it on the dock.

Seems like it'd be a pretty simple task to make one.

I agree with Tom...cleat it amidship, then toss it as you approach the dock. The fwd drift or fwd idle on the non-dockside engine w/ full rudder away from the dock will bring you to the dock.

Love that it's a Tollycraft in video!

Don't recall when I've seen water that calm to dock in.

Speed of boat with him getting ready to pitch Easy Docker (about mid video) was sure to make a crunch before he could get back to helm... or, that was a cut with someone else at helm.

We have one of the old versions (as in the video, with harder angles). We use it quite a bit when docking where there are bull rails. My wife attaches the bitter end to a mid-ship cleat and tosses. She then pulls in some slack, tightens, and we do exactly what FlyWright said. Works like a champ every time.

I used it often when docking singlehanded on our previous sailboat. In the 12 years we've had it, it has never failed to grab a bull rail.

The new design, which is a bit more rounded, looks like it will grab a bollard or even dock cleat easier than mine (which we have also done successfully in the past). Not cheap, though! If you can make your own, more power to you. Otherwise, I can attest that the product works as claimed.

That is what that thing is for! Our ocean alexander came with one and I have never used the thing..
I almost cut the hook end off once to at least use the line!
$175.00!!! Geez I'm glad I didnt cut the damn thing off.

175.00 really?

Hollywood

That is what that thing is for! Our ocean alexander came with one and I have never used the thing..
I almost cut the hook end off once to at least use the line!
$175.00!!! Geez I'm glad I didnt cut the damn thing off.

175.00 really?

Hollywood

Craigslist here you come... 50% discount! $87.50... cash!! :dance:

Non of the docks I have used here in Australia have a bull rail so it would be useless to us .

You beat me to it Gaston. I was going to say that. Although I guess you could use it by tossing it so it skids across and over the other side of the finger, and hope it grabbed there. Also a very expensive hook, as Al pointed out, pretty easy to make something like it yourself. Personally I prefer our system of picking up a loop on a line fixed to the dock and placing it on the midships cleat, then doing similar with the engine in slow forward or reverse. It could however come in handy if visiting a courtesy berth at an away marina I suppose..?

Craigslist here you come... 50% discount! $87.50... cash!! :dance:

If I saw that thing on craigslist I would thing its overpriced by $ 40.00!
Hollywood

If I saw that thing on craigslist I would thing its overpriced by $ 40.00!
Hollywood

I know, I know!!

You could initiate a new fun contest sport with it!

Called: "Mariner Toss" (great for many boat raft-ups in bays like power squadrons and yacht clubs often have)

Wherein, at anchor, you attach 100' (or more) of line and have contests of boaters standing on your bow see who can toss it farthest! Minimum of five contestants per game play; each contributing $20 for chance to toss it. Winner takes home the $120 booty! [3/4" plywood sheathing recommended over all forward windows and vertical superstructure areas.]

:speed boat:

I know, I know!!

You could initiate a new fun contest sport with it!

Called: "Mariner Toss" (great for many boat raft-ups in bays like power squadrons and yacht clubs often have)

Wherein, at anchor, you attach 100' (or more) of line and have contests of boaters standing on your bow see who can toss it farthest! Minimum of five contestants per game play; each contributing $20 for chance to toss it. Winner takes home the $120 booty! [3/4" plywood sheathing recommended over all forward windows and vertical superstructure areas.]
:speed boat:

Jesus... Art you have got too much idle time in your head to come up with such things....

Keep them coming.. it cracks me up!
HOLLYWOOD

Jesus... Art you have got too much idle time in your head to come up with such things....

Keep them coming.. it cracks me up!
HOLLYWOOD

I don't sleep much! Mind is like a runaway freight train... just not always too sure where I'm going nor of the cargo being carried for any certain day! :rofl:

4:30 AM - my usual automatic waking hour... TF is great fun for first coffees! Then as day progresses, if computer action becomes norm of that day, TF works well for interludes of R&R between wheels and deals and document creations.

I do love Boating - helps keep me centered! :dance: :speed boat::D

A long with grabbing a bull rail, I have seen them work by tossing it completely over the dock and hooking the opposite side of the dock. I talked to the company and the old guy in the video was the original owner. His widow sold the company to the guy who has it now. The $175 price bothers me somewhat....

A long with grabbing a bull rail, I have seen them work by tossing it completely over the dock and hooking the opposite side of the dock. I talked to the company and the old guy in the video was the original owner. His widow sold the company to the guy who has it now. The $175 price bothers me somewhat....

I've heard the same thing about tossing it completely over the dock to the opposite side, but we've never tried it. Or we haven't needed to try it.

In any event, yes that was the inventor, old Mr. Williams in the video. I know because I made the video 13 years ago! (It's a little embarrassing now because it was so cheesy...) Mr. Williams fabricated the unit entirely in his Shelter Bay garage near La Conner. IIRC back then they were still over $100, but he insisted on making them here so they would be "Made in the USA", and he used the highest quality materials. The one we have he gave me. 13 years later it still looks pretty darn good, save for a few scratches here and there...

Last edited:
Non of the docks I have used here in Australia have a bull rail so it would be useless to us .

Good point Gaston, I was thinking the same thing here in Oz, I don't think it would be of any use?

Chris D Liberty

A long with grabbing a bull rail, I have seen them work by tossing it completely over the dock and hooking the opposite side of the dock....
Might be tough on the boat parked the other side of the dock finger too.:blush:

Never had the need, In my worse situation, threw a loop of line from the boat around the dock's cleat. Took all my strength to bring the boat to the dock.

Admiral used it for the first time and she loves it! Throw the hook on the dock pull it, catches the bull rail, you now have a bow line tied.

Few floats down here have bull rails too.
Should call the thing the Alaska Bull Line.

But why not just use a boat hook?

Few floats down here have bull rails too.
Should call the thing the Alaska Bull Line.

But why not just use a boat hook?

You can also just toss it over the dock. Once hooked it acts as a bow line, enabling you to bring the stern to the dock.

Are you talking about those aluminum poles?

FWIW, my Dad bought one for his Catalina 36. After he died I found it buried deep in the bowels of the boat, hardly used. I considered trying it out, but decided that lazarrette space could be better used by other things. Given the types of docks that I use here in the PNW, I never saw enough utility to warrant carrying it around. I still have it in the basement of my office.

FWIW, my Dad bought one for his Catalina 36. After he died I found it buried deep in the bowels of the boat, hardly used. I considered trying it out, but decided that lazarrette space could be better used by other things. Given the types of docks that I use here in the PNW, I never saw enough utility to warrant carrying it around. I still have it in the basement of my office.

Heck! I'll give you $40 for it.......:D

Marty......................

Back
Top Bottom