Thread: Paravanes F/S
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2016, 09:31 AM   #19
Phil Fill
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Might take a walk down a commercial dock to get some ideas. I bought the fish and poles from a commercial for scrap value. Since most commercial do not have super structure mid ship they are mounted to the gunnel which is 3 to 5 ft off the water so I would mount to the hull just under the gunnels as the super structure is not strong enough. So only the mast support would have to be strengthened

Wire rope would be used for the pole rigging so adjustments could be made so a sail boat rigger could be used. So its the mast support is the primary concern, not the side support. Since the Eagle roll ride is comfortable para vanes would only be added if we decided to go down the coast, which is not in our plans. However the Eagle was designed to be a coastal cruiser and been up down the coast several times.

Rather than fish I have also looked at fixed bilge keels which would also dampen the roll since the Eagle is round soft chine. Some commercial also have them. I almost had them installed several years ago. I would install them before the fish.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote