Flying Dingy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
About 13 years ago I kept my trawler in West Harbor at the west end of Lake Erie. While motoring out of the harbor I hear what sounds like a low flying aircraft. Looking out the pilothouse door I see the bottom of a dink about 15 feet away from me. Not knowing about these it was a real surprise. 4 years ago I meet my new dock partner who has an old woody Grand Banks. It turns out he was the one with the flying dink. He was in his 70's then.

7 or 8 years ago I used to see one every time I anchored at Sag Harbor, NY. Was not a RIB though.
Only saw it that one year. Haven't seen another one.
It was very slow, like a small ultralight.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Hmmmm....I can just imagine getting back to one's mooring at closing time from the Tiki bar....

giphy.gif

Greetings,
Hmmmm....I can just imagine getting back to one's mooring at closing time from the Tiki bar....

giphy.gif

Having operated an aircraft under the influence (in controlled legal conditions) I can tell you that is a BAD idea. Keeping X-Y under control with one eye closed is one thing..... add Z and it's a whole different ball 'o wax.

One of those crashed near here a few years ago and killed the occupants. One was a friend of my slip neighbor.

At least you're in the shade and have a decent breeze...

I'll bet you can't dock it at the free dinghy dock though.

For those of you in the Salish Sea, there is a guy who flies his in Okeover Arm pretty much every summer evening.

About 7 years ago I came in Lake Worth Inlet and anchored near Peanut Island. It was "sandbar day" and there were a few of those things flying around. Dink with pusher prop and hang glider wing. I still think they are cool as @##$ and would love to fly one.

But interesting that since then, I have not seen any others. Maybe they are not so good.

I do think they fly soooo slooow that a good breeze and you are going nowhere.

Wow, I did not know they were made and sold commercially. At first I was wondering if some photoshop was going on and then decided it was real but home built. You learn something new every day. I don't think I am gutsy enough to try it. It would be fun to watch though.

I would have one in a second....

But.....

!. Probably cant afford one....:facepalm:

2.Storing a dingy on a 40 footer is hard enough.... wings, engine and prop would be really tough. :D

I'm sure I would crash that thing and kill myself, but it does look fun.

I might trust myself about 6' over the water, but no way I would go as high as they do in that video.

I'm sure I would crash that thing and kill myself, but it does look fun.

I might trust myself about 6' over the water, but no way I would go as high as they do in that video.

After 20 years flying USCG helos...the only reason to fly higher than 6 feet is to avoid hitting something....high places scare me...:D

Back
Top Bottom