What boat make is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Binford

My wife and I saw this boat at the marina at Blake Island State Park in Puget Sound across from Seattle last weekend:

img_399723_0_314780e0fbeff6bb31989e78ee0bf092.jpeg

I absolutely LOVE the lines of this boat! But I couldn't find anything to indicate the make on it. The owner took off the next morning before I had a chance to go over and talk with him. (Okay, okay, so it was more because I slept in so late than because of his early departure time!)

Anyone recognize the make of this boat?

No, but I agree, nice. A foot more in the cockpit, and it'd be perfect.

I agree with Keith, custom. There have been some very nice wood and cold molded one ofs made by various shipwrights in BC and WA. Not sure about the heavy dinghy up top though.

Beefy, manly, homeric! Agree on the cockpit size, though.

Looks like a Monk design

Nice boat!

Looks like a Monk design

Nice boat!

Yes it does Art. Bow end looks like a Tolly and stern end like an OA. Small cockpits are much appreciated for offshore work so pooping doesn't swamp the vessel. Especially in this case where oversized scuppers or hawse holes are not evident. The Straits of Juan de Fuca and PNW bar crossings are terribly unforgiving in a big and common following sea. Monk knew this and designed vessels accordingly.

Point well taken about the limited cockpit size, Sunchaser. Still, purely for style points, a bit more cockpit would be an East Coast preference. Not sure about that extended upper deck/ cockpit shade though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 206
Looks somewhat like a Nordlund or Jensen, odds are it's by Monk or Garden.

Like how the stripe on the dink makes it blend in......

How is the dinghy launched or recovered?

If the transom door is an indicator of deck level, I don't observe any external scuppers. Through-deck drains might not be sufficient.

Fly(ing) bridge appears to be useless this time of year. It was 40 degrees and drizzly today here. No time to be on an open bridge.

Like how the stripe on the dink makes it blend in......

Nevertheless, all too much white, which, by the way, doesn't show up well in fog.

How is the dinghy launched or recovered?

If the transom door is an indicator of deck level, I don't observe any external scuppers. Through-deck drains might not be sufficient.

Fly(ing) bridge appears to be useless this time of year. It was 40 degrees and drizzly today here. No time to be on an open bridge.

Look carefully to the starboard aft of the dink. You'll see the crane davit. The crane support pole can be seen extending through the flying bridge deck to the cockpit deck.

Ray, you're better at photograph interpretation than I.

The crane davit looks like mine; a Roskelley Olsson. RO, I believe, is located in the Seattle area.

The burgee they're flying is from the Port Orchard Yacht Club. I bet you could ask one of their members about the boat. They're very friendly people. And yes, Roskelley Olsson is in Seattle.

Yes, there's a davit on the starboard side of the dink. Here's another shot that shows that better.

img_399935_0_26f2ad8a884b888635c66bda192e8227.jpg

I believe the dink was an aluminum boat. Looked good up there, I thought. However, were it mine, that radar arch along with the davit would go and a proper mast and boom installed. Those two items kill the magic.

Thanks for the ID on the burgee, porman! I live right here in Port Orchard so I'll have to check down there at the yacht club.

It was hovering just north of freezing when that picture was taken. Obviously no one was using the fly bridge that weekend! I have always loved the pilot house concept and shunned a second helm station up on a fly bridge, but the more I think about how much I enjoy my 16-foot Glasply runabout on a warm summer day, the more I think a fly bridge like that would be a really nice thing to have. So long as the primary station was in a properly configured pilot house with good visibility....

Last edited:
Not my type of boat but does look like a practical utilitarian Monk or Garden mid sized generic trawler. Lots of interior living space with plenty of light from big windows. High bow and freeboard for bashing through moderate seas. Depending on depth and ballast may roll a bit more than my comfort level. If you have the boats name the club registry may get you an answer.

Hmmmm. Appears to be without a name and home port, required for USCG documentation, nor state registration numbers if not documented.

No name on her that I saw. Possibly on the front of the fly bridge, but I didn't get to see the front of the boat. I do believe those are the state registration numbers about as far forward as one could place them though.

I like the separate pilot house (not just a helm in the saloon) and that sexy broken sheer line. A more rounded seiner-like stern would look nice on it too. Not sure why there are no scuppers on it. Weird. I hadn't noticed that.

Last edited:
Mark-- In the first photo there appears to be what could be a registration number in white in the red stripe right at the bow. Similar to the registration number on the dinghy. There is some kind of circular/spherical thing at the bow that seems to be covering the very front of the stripe and what might be the front part of the registration number.

The annual registration sticker, required in this state whether the boat is documented or not, is typically applied beside the number if the boat is not documented. Depending on the color of the sticker it could be hard to see against the stripe or blocked by the black thing.

Last edited:
I could suggest that this vessel could be a 1970'ish earlier version Pacific Trawler... Naval architect Blaine Seeley’s design which was called the Pacific Trawler 37 and was built in Santa Ana, California between 1973 and 1977.

I went to visit a 1975 Pacific Trawler 37 which was anchored in front of us in Shelburne Bay on Lake Champlain this summer with Bill and Mary Russell on Harbour Reach from North Kingstown, RI: Vessel Documentation Query by Name

1975 Pacific Trawler Corp 37' Diesel Yacht Review & Specs

I remember seeing Pacific Trawlers being constructd in Fairhaven (Bellngham, WA) in the very early 2000s. They do bear some resemblance to the boat in this thread.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 93
A "silly fake stack" is a good place for the propane tank.

Upper part of "stack" and tank not yet installed:

Installed:

Last edited:
I thought. However, were it mine, that radar arch along with the davit would go and a proper mast and boom installed. Those two items kill the magic.

Hmmm. Maybe you're right about that. It wouldn't keep me from lusting after it, but she does look proper with the mast/boom setup.

Attachments

• with mast.jpg
    with mast.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 85
Nicely done, Larry! But that mast needs a red band on it. Just sayin'....
img_400281_0_1eec73ba188d957405b5d71573a1f8b1.gif

Sorry Mark I never noticed the fake stack on the Coot, maybe because it's not trying to be a fake tugboat. Maybe if you paint it white nobody will notice (just kidding).:socool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom