Google Earth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 38'
I thoiught this was prtty cool.* Just messing around looking at our local cruising grounds on Google Earth yesterday and zoomed in on our marina.* Lo and behold, there I am, putting on bottom paint in the yard.

Attachments

• boat painting.jpg
    boat painting.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 98
Good grief, Max.* Are you wearing a tutu and ballet slippers in that picture?

Delfin wrote:

Good grief, Max.* Are you wearing a tutu and ballet slippers in that picture?
I think it' a thong.**The tutu effect is just his.* *Err shadow?

SD

That really cracked my ass up.

SD

Attachments

• ass.jpg
    ass.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 80
Max Simmons wrote:

I thoiught this was prtty cool.* Just messing around looking at our local cruising grounds on Google Earth yesterday and zoomed in on our marina.* Lo and behold, there I am, putting on bottom paint in the yard.
Sad but true, this is my marina.* Right now I am boating vicariously.

That's one heck of a tide.

jleonard wrote:

Hey SD..quit showin off your a$$
biggrin.gif

It seems that SD has become an exhibitionist and keeps wanting to show his ass to everyone. :)

At real low tides -4 feet we are sitting on the bottom.* As you go further north the tide swings get larger and many time boats are left high and dry.* That is why I am planning on the Eagle going a ground as the changes are high we will.* I Google the Everett marina which shows our boat and I think my daughter sun bathing on the roof of our boat.*
hmm.gif

Just last Sunday when to a birthday party and started up a conversation with a couple that live in a house that over looks the marina.* We got to talk and they ask which is out boat and we told them.* Then he said I was wondering who owned that boat with the lady sun bathing on the room.* Needless to day we will have to watch how we sun bath in the future as the people up on the hill are watching.*
biggrin.gif

dwhatty wrote:

That's one heck of a tide.
Again, sad to say, it's a lake. It doubles as a reservoir for the city downstream and*gets emptied*every fall in preparation for the winter rains and spring run off. By April it will be full again.

-- Edited by KJ on Saturday 29th of January 2011 10:16:19 AM

KJ wrote:

Max Simmons wrote:

Sad but true, this is my marina.* Right now I am boating vicariously.

You'll have to show us another shot when the tide is in - looks like a nice spot. (Yes, I know that it's actually a lake.)

Giggitoni wrote:

Folsom!
'Ae mahalo!

-- Edited by KJ on Sunday 30th of January 2011 03:12:04 AM

KJ wrote:Sad but true, this is my marina.* Right now I am boating vicariously.

You'll have to show us another shot when the tide is in - looks like a nice spot. (Yes, I know that it's actually a lake.)

Can do. These are summer shots.
Ah, summer.* Such a sweet word!** KJ

-- Edited by KJ on Sunday 30th of January 2011 03:07:16 AM

Attachments

• picture 043 copy.jpg
    picture 043 copy.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 80
  • lake 016 copy.jpg
    lake 016 copy.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 87
  • lake 008 copy.jpg
    lake 008 copy.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 87
  • lake 007 copy.jpg
    lake 007 copy.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 103
  • lake 024 copy.jpg
    lake 024 copy.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 94
The reference to Google Earth reminded me a the time our son called home while on spring break in college; no not that phone call. He was telling me where they were, somewhere on the west coast of FL. I pulled up a sat pic from Google Earth and following his description located what I guessed to be the house they were renting. I asked about the roof color, which was distinctive, and upon confirmation, he hollared to one of his buddies in the ouse,"hey my dad can see the house on Google." I guess there might have been a little alcohol consumed, it was spring break, I could hear the guy in the background say," tell your dad to keep watching, I'll go out and wave." I cant print what my sone said to his frat brother.
For the record, he went to Auburn, WAR EAGLE!

When you are moored on the salt you time many activities with the tide as the ramp gets very steep. Of course I do not run the gen at low tides, and as a protection have sea strainers.* The bottom is sand/mud so it soft. After starting the engines the first thing I do is go to the stern and see if raw water so coming out.****

KJ wrote:

Much better - everyone, including the boats, looks much happier in these shots. So is there just a small area that gets drained or the whole huge lake? And if just the small area, how do they segregate it?Interesting stuff.

Conrad wrote:

KJ wrote:

Much better - everyone, including the boats, looks much happier in these shots. So is there just a small area that gets drained or the whole huge lake? And if just the small area, how do they segregate it?Interesting stuff.

They pretty much drain at least half of the lake. The feds run the water control and are mandated to have the lake at least fifty percent by Jan.* Trouble is, after they lower it, if we have a dry winter (we recently had three years of drought), and there's no snow pack, we're screwed for the summer boating season.* It has happened.
One year we had a couple of really big storms in Oct., so they just about drained the whole lake. Turns out they were the only storms for the rest of the winter.* We couldn't put our boats in at all that year.
Anyway, here's what it usually looks like in Jan.
Thus,*the asphalt regatta in the last pic.** ** KJ

Attachments

• img_0173 copy.jpg
    img_0173 copy.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 63
  • fl 1 26 08 c copy.jpg
    fl 1 26 08 c copy.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 67
  • fl 1 26 08  a copy.jpg
    fl 1 26 08 a copy.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 67
  • asphalt regatta.jpg
    asphalt regatta.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 67
For a pre-Google look at this sort of thing, here's a website that has aerial photographs along all the shorelines in Washington, both Puget Sound and the Pacific coast. The site is http://apps.ecy.wa.gov/shorephotos/

What someone did is fly around the entire salt water coastline (including the islands) in the state in a plane and take overlapping photos. I used to do this sort of thing in Hawaii for a real estate company although we did it at a much higher altitude (15,000') and we used a huge 11" x 14" vertical mapping camera instead of an oblique camera. While what this site offers has been greatly eclipsed by Google Earth, it still provides an interesting look at things.

Here are three sample shots from the site. First is part of our marina, second is Turn Point on Stuart Island, and third is Moclips out on the Pacific coast.

Attachments

• wha0413_mr.jpg
    wha0413_mr.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 68
  • snj1070_mr.jpg
    snj1070_mr.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 71
  • gra0077_mr.jpg
    gra0077_mr.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 59
So, Marin Is that you in the Tutu and ballet slippers.

SD*

Marin wrote:
For a pre-Google look at this sort of thing, here's a website that has aerial photographs along all the shorelines in Washington, both Puget Sound and the Pacific coast. The site is http://apps.ecy.wa.gov/shorephotos/

What someone did is fly around the entire salt water coastline (including the islands) in the state in a plane and take overlapping photos. I used to do this sort of thing in Hawaii for a real estate company although we did it at a much higher altitude (15,000') and we used a huge 11" x 14" vertical mapping camera instead of an oblique camera. While what this site offers has been greatly eclipsed by Google Earth, it still provides an interesting look at things.

Here are three sample shots from the site. First is part of our marina, second is Turn Point on Stuart Island, and third is Moclips out on the Pacific coast.
MarinDid you notice the age of the Squalicum Harbor photo? There are two rows of boathouses back in my corner.

You better get inside Marin. We can see your tu tu from here.

Carey wrote:

Marin
Did you notice the age of the Squalicum Harbor photo? There are two rows of boathouses back in my corner.
Yeah, I have no idea when the photos were taken.* The shot of Moclips is quite old, too.*Before we got the GB we used to go there a lot and stay in a funky orange motel right on the beach.* It's still there but has been a different color for a long time and the three-sided motel across the street burned down many years ago.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom