Bruce Roberts 45 Steel waverunner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yobbo

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Hassall Free
Vessel Make
Riviera 35 Aft Cabin
We are thinking of buying a bigger boat, and one boat that catches my eye is this Roberts 45 Waverunner

Roberts 45′ Steel Pilothouse Motor Cruiser | Anchorline Yacht Brokers

Does anyone know anything about these boats?

It has a single 225HP John Deere, is that big enough to be able to cruise at 8 knots without stressing the engine?

Are single engine displacement cruisers with a bow thruster maneuverable for docking?

How hard is it to maintain a steel boat?
Cheers Ian

We are thinking of buying a bigger boat, and one boat that catches my eye is this Roberts 45 Waverunner

Roberts 45′ Steel Pilothouse Motor Cruiser | Anchorline Yacht Brokers

Does anyone know anything about these boats?

It has a single 225HP John Deere, is that big enough to be able to cruise at 8 knots without stressing the engine?

Are single engine displacement cruisers with a bow thruster maneuverable for docking?

How hard is it to maintain a steel boat?
Cheers Ian

Nice looking trawler.

Most boats need about 5hp/ton to push them along at 7-8 kts. I'd guess a 45' steel boat would tip the scales at about 20 tons with fuel and stuff onboard , so will need about 100 HP at 5gal/hr. The JD 225 sounds like a perfect choice.

I notice on his site he makes some ' interesting' claims; that the a 45' steel wave runner can reach 15kts with just twin 150 hp!!!!

I'd say more like twin 500 HP at least. (50hp/ton.)

Second hand self-build steel boats have no value: they normally sell for their their scrap value, plus a bit, if you really really like the boat.

Last edited:
Second hand self-build steel boats have no value: they normally sell for their their scrap value, plus a bit, if you really really like the boat.

It depends on build quality and attention to steel fabrication details. I personally know of two Bruce Roberts steel vessels that have recently sold for above $500k. But they may well be rarities.

Ian,
If you are dealing with Anchorline you are with the right people.
Garth and Andrew are straight up and Garth has been in the business longer than anyone. He mainly deals in wooden boats and only takes on others if he thinks they are good enough.
Power wise she is more than adequate, check the inside of the hull and have some ultra sound thickness testing done if unsure. Ensure she is adequately protected inside and there are no suspicious rust areas.
Cheers
Benn

At this stage it's only a idea, I have never really thought about a steel boat, but this one really catches my eye

I like it! Price seems OK to me.

At this stage it's only a idea, I have never really thought about a steel boat, but this one really catches my eye

agree...that's a stunning boat for the $$$

Seems like a well thought out boat for the money, particularly when I hear all the whinging about high prices and lack of availability in that part of the world.

Don't forget that steel boats are probably more accepted here in Australia more than other places.
I don't know the reason but probably due to the high number of home builders years ago and most of them were by quality tradesmen.
High volume of production boats at reasonable prices over the last 20 years has reduced the number of home builders.

One big advantage of steel is it is so well known that an excellent hull survey is easy.

In commercial yards hull repair is no problem , esp if you will take a back seat to their commercial customers .

IF the boat was constructed to be easy to maintain , long term costs will be low.

BUT ! Just like wood , damage must be repaired instantly.

Rust or dry rot must be stopped before they get a hold!

Last edited:
Be aware that Bruce Roberts is a designer, not a boat builder. He sells plans. Some have been built by very competent backyard builders and others well...... I've seen a few that should never leave the dock.

The two best boats I have ever surveyed were backyard built metal boats. The last half dozen surveyed were absolutely atrocious.

Hi Ian, we have looked at this boat and she seems to be in very good condition. The galley is a little small with a very small top loading fridge in the bench top but she has huge amounts of fridge/freezer space on and under the aft deck. Loads of storage space on board with a huge lazarette. The engine room seems pretty clean and a nice pilot house. The only down side we found was the forward passage way to the head and both cabins is fairly low. I'm only 5'10" but had to duck to walk through there. It was a while ago we had a look at her but if I can help with anything else let me know.
I'd agree with Benn on the guys at Anchorline as well. Andrew and Garth are really nice guys,

Brett

I seriously looked at this boat last month the only thing that stopped me in my tracks was a friend whom is a broker comment was nice boat good price for someone looking for a long time ownership(10-15years) as resale in the short time would be a killer and double what ever you think upkeep will be on a glass boat .This boat has been on the market for a year and a half and droping$ with no takers so it hasn't reached its market value yet ?

My dear father installed in me that you should always purchase in view to to sell and don't purchase with your heat .His words have helped me through life and I have never made a bad purchasing decision. Hence the reason this one is off my bucket list .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom