Just a word of thanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sbu22

Guru
Vessel Name
Panache
Vessel Make
Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
I discovered TF in 2011 shortly after purchasing my first power boat. Although my Viking is not a trawler, the subject matter and issues discussed here come closest to my boat use and concerns. I started out with the idea that my Navy experience (submarines and SpecWar) would be a leg up on power cruising - not so much. I do as much of my own work as possible because I like it, not to mention the cost factor of hiring it out.

In any case, I never cease to be amazed at the effort and thought expended by TFers to help out new guys. The TF "cadre" (you know who you are) have again and again (both directly and indirectly through old posts) guided me through a bunch of repair and maintenance issues that initially seemed far beyond my skill set.

My thanks to you all. Merry Christmas and a healthy and happy New Year

Happy Holidays.....

Trawlering is a state of mind. Not a design criterium.

" Although my Viking is not a trawler, the subject matter and issues discussed here come closest to my boat use and concerns."

This is why "thread drift" can be useful and helpful.

Sometimes one does not know what one does not know!

Very profound, but true. However, with experience one learns to smell concentrations of things one does not know and can then focus on learning those things. Which is where this forum, and many others, come in.

" Although my Viking is not a trawler, the subject matter and issues discussed here come closest to my boat use and concerns."

This is why "thread drift" can be useful and helpful.

Damn right. Like zincs. Someone posted about engine heat exchanger zincs. "What...? My boat engine has zincs..? I thought only the outside needed zincs.

Oh, is that what those things are? Checking and changing?...they need checking and changing..? Damn...ok...

I discovered TF in 2011 shortly after purchasing my first power boat. Although my Viking is not a trawler, the subject matter and issues discussed here come closest to my boat use and concerns. I started out with the idea that my Navy experience (submarines and SpecWar) would be a leg up on power cruising - not so much. I do as much of my own work as possible because I like it, not to mention the cost factor of hiring it out.

In any case, I never cease to be amazed at the effort and thought expended by TFers to help out new guys. The TF "cadre" (you know who you are) have again and again (both directly and indirectly through old posts) guided me through a bunch of repair and maintenance issues that initially seemed far beyond my skill set.

What a great post! Well stated and much appreciated, Stu! There's a wealth of knowledge and a great willingness to share it here in TF. That's part of what makes it such a great boating community. I can't count the number of times I've been saved time, frustration and money by sage advice from my 'imaginary friends' (as my wife calls y'all) here on TF.

We all have varied experiences and sometimes have followed different forks in the roads. I only hope I've been able to return the favor to others who've not traveled the paths I've followed.

Merry Christmas one and all.

20 years ago my wife bought the Eagle, hoping if would keep my busy for years. However we had very little boat, trawler experience. Then I happen up on the old PassagrMaker board, that had a wealth knowledgeable members and knowledge. So 20 years later been trying to pass some of the experience and knowledge. Merry Christmas! :noel::oldman:

well stated sbu22 - I've been a member of TF for the last year and appreciate the info, stories, humor and just plain willingness to help fellow boaters.
Also a big thanks to the moderators that keep the TF ship running and keep us focused...most of the time.

you may be imaginary friends but you are appreciated ! :Thanx:

I too enjoy the exchange of usually high quality opinions and information.

Merry Christmas and a Great New Year to all.

Ken

Well, it's Christmas morning,,, and here I am getting my TF fix for the day. I've got it bad, I know. But Yes, a big thank you to all TF participants who make this Forum a valued part of my boating experience. Merry Christmas & thank you. :thumb:

Hear, hear! Eight months ago I had never owned a boat in my life. Now we've gone from Canada to halfway down the Baja Coast, and hopefully we'll go much further. Along the way we met several members of the forums and they've been incredibly generous and helpful! TF is fantastic.

20 years ago my wife bought the Eagle, hoping if would keep my busy for years. However we had very little boat, trawler experience. Then I happen up on the old PassagrMaker board, that had a wealth knowledgeable members and knowledge. So 20 years later been trying to pass some of the experience and knowledge. Merry Christmas! :noel::oldman:

I can confirm that, a I first met up with Phil Fill on passagemaker forum, myself, back in the days when it worked...then started not working...then got so bad many of us jumped ship to John Baker and Doug Cole's first Trawler Forum, which morphed into this.
You still getting about the dock in those pink fluffy slippers Phil..?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom