We did it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordon B

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
41' Defever
Hi to all,
We just closed on a 1987 41' Defever. She's in N.C. and we will be bringing her to Florida and put on the hard for painting ect. Once the painting is complete along with additional fixes an maintenance we will splash her and become full time liveaboards. There is a lot to do to get the boat back to prime and we plan on chronicling the progress. We will need a lot of advice on many of the things we want to complete and we know we can count on Trawler Forum for help. So thanks in advance to everyone.

Congratulations! Nice running hull that is.
Keep the priorities in order. Start with safety, essential for reliable systems and work towards cosmetics.
You probably are aware of that but I went backwards a few boats ago and am still scared.

Congrats, those are great boats. Good luck with your mini-refit.

Cheers, Bill

Congratulations! Great Family Christmas present!

Ted

Depends on where in Florida, but that work can usually be done more economically in North Carolina by very skilled trades people and boat yards. Where in NC is it?

Congratulations on taking the big step! I will be anxious to read about your progress.

Looked like a good deal!

Thanks everyone. The boat is in Wilmington N.C. Unfortunately we still have to work for a while so we need her down here. We plan on doing most of the work ourselves but we have a couple of friends and family in the trades.

Congrats on your new boat, Gordon! When you're in FL, watch for a TF member who frequents the Ft Pierce, FL waters in a Saberline also called Moonstruck. Rumor has it that he keeps a well stocked fridge and bar. Please report back on your findings.

Just one thing, We already have a big dog named "Moonstruck". Its going to be confusing. Congrats on your new boat and welcome aboard.

Wow-was Santa ever good to you and yours! A lifetime Christmas present! Congrats. Tell everyone from here on out all you want for future Christmases is a very large gift card from HopCar's store!

Sincere congrats on the timely present. You'll have a tough time getting that one under the tree.!!

Congrats, great boat. I am just south of you in Merritt Island. Sue Marie is presently on the hard in your area. She is getting a bottom job and some other issues repaired, at Westland Marina.

Loo fwd to reading about your progress .

John

Congrats on the Xmas gift. We bought our 85 Gulfstar 44 MY two years and was our Xmas gift to each other.

Congratulations Gordon and other.
We are not liveaboards but have been doing a restoration for the last 11 months on 43' Gulf Star. Now Bad Monkey.
My #1 tip is make a list of what you want to achieve for the week.
#2 don't worry if you don't accomplish. Just put the ones you don't do on the list for the following week. (It's your boat you can change priorities or procrastinate if it makes you happy.)
#3 Every time you see something or think "I need to do that" or "that might work" write it down and keep all on a master list.
That's just for starters!
Since you are liveaboards, as Dbltime said safety 1st., but you also need to be happy to come home, so cosmetics are also going to be high on that list I believe. It will help to keep you motivated.
I'm sure you will have a great time with the new member of the family.
Cheers, Stan and Jen

Last edited:
Congratulations

Congratulations on moving aboard. Having been there (part time) in San Diego over the past few years we look forward to following your journey and provide any assistance we can. Living aboard can be a great experience and something only a handful of people will ever experience in a life time. Enjoy the journey!

John

Cruiseing down the ICW

Hi to all,
We will be heading to S.C. to pick up the boat this week and bring her down the ICW to Titusville Fl. (500 + miles).

I would like to make posts of our progress. Can I post here or should I post on another section in T.F.

I'm sure that I will have a lot of questions and I am so glad to have T.F. and all the great people.

Gordo

p.s. Any and all suggestions gladly accepted.

Just one thing, We already have a big dog named "Moonstruck". Its going to be confusing.
I admit that it's going to be a bit confusing, Moonstruck, that is...but I wish you the very best on your purchase. (Don, did you authorize this?) :blush:

I admit that it's going to be a bit confusing, Moonstruck, that is...but I wish you the very best on your purchase. (Don, did you authorize this?) :blush:

I think it's a great name, and always room for one more. So, welcome aboard.

Hi to all,
We will be heading to S.C. to pick up the boat this week and bring her down the ICW to Titusville Fl. (500 + miles).

I would like to make posts of our progress. Can I post here or should I post on another section in T.F.

I'm sure that I will have a lot of questions and I am so glad to have T.F. and all the great people.

Gordo

p.s. Any and all suggestions gladly accepted.

Gordon, you can post your progress reports here or start a new, dedicated thread with a title to attract the attention of others not following this thread. I think you might find more participation in a dedicated thread in the appropriate section.

There may be boat sales tax advantages to keeping the boat out of FL for six months while work is being done. I know it worked for a friend who had work done in GA.

Hmmm..just thinkin' I really can't see a problem with two boats with the same name, they are different makes too. #1 name for a couple of years was "Island Time" per BoatUS. Anyway this is the US, where many boats have the same name, not Canada where each boat has to have a different name. I'm the other half of the new Moonstruck team and thanks Don for the OK.

Congratulations Gordon and other.
We are not liveaboards but have been doing a restoration for the last 11 months on 43' Gulf Star. Now Bad Monkey.
My #1 tip is make a list of what you want to achieve for the week.
#2 don't worry if you don't accomplish. Just put the ones you don't do on the list for the following week. (It's your boat you can change priorities or procrastinate if it makes you happy.)
#3 Every time you see something or think "I need to do that" or "that might work" write it down and keep all on a master list.
That's just for starters!
Since you are liveaboards, as Dbltime said safety 1st., but you also need to be happy to come home, so cosmetics are also going to be high on that list I believe. It will help to keep you motivated.
I'm sure you will have a great time with the new member of the family.
Cheers, Stan and Jen

I'm going to give a slight alteration to that, separating current project from future projects.

Make an initial project that can be completed in less than 6 months. Put everything else on future projects. The future project items just list, but detail the current one in terms of order and how much time you think each task will take.

Why like this? One is that we found in business that projects over 6 months long became lifetime projects that never were completed, they just hung over your head. Second you need rewards of accomplishment. Make it short term with detailed tasks and you can track and check off completed items. Finishing the boat is an impossible task. However, something like stripping the wood is one you can do and feel success on. It's also a manageable list vs. an overwhelming one. I'd allow myself some leeway too and build in some cushion. So, I finish my six month project in 4 1/2. Now I just can start the next project.

My first project would be all about getting the boat as usable as possible. It would start with things critical to having it ready to live on.

There may be boat sales tax advantages to keeping the boat out of FL for six months while work is being done. I know it worked for a friend who had work done in GA.

I believe that would depend upon if a Florida resident or not. Better check it out with the tax collector.

Hmmm..just thinkin' I really can't see a problem with two boats with the same name, they are different makes too. #1 name for a couple of years was "Island Time" per BoatUS. Anyway this is the US, where many boats have the same name, not Canada where each boat has to have a different name. I'm the other half of the new Moonstruck team and thanks Don for the OK.

2 boats with the same name is no problem. You certainly didn't need any permission. In fact, my Blackfin is also named Moonstruck. You are just showing your good taste.:blush:

On our way

We (my son & son in law) will be leaving Cape Fear river on the slack tide tomorrow 1-8-2016. Thanks to everyone for the help an encouragement. We have spent the last two days doing maintenance and provisioning.
I will post our progress.
Again thanks everyone.:dance:

Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

John

Have a great trip with the guys! Keep us posted of your progress.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom