Yanmar exhaust elbows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've actually seen them cracked at our boat yard, nothing to do with corrosion, but fatigue (vibration and heat cycles).

Yup... just replaced the dry elbow on my starboard motor. Yup, vibration cracked. Yup, stupid expensive. If the mixing elbow needed replacement as well, my mechanic was going to custom fabricate a whole SS assembly.

Just a quick update to this old post.

I pulled the elbows again, about 18 months later, they still look pretty good. A little bit of scale inside, hard to say whether it was built up exhaust or a little rust or both, but it scrubbed right out with a wire brush and some purple power. It was all on the mixer end of the dry elbow, the turbo end of the elbow and the turb itself were perfect. The mixer elbows also looked good.

I think I'm going to stick with them one more year and then replace. I found an aftermarket replacement on ebay that looks identical for $399.

Another update. I replaced the port side elbows (both dry and mixer) last week, and will do the STB side next week. Both sides had begun to leak a little soot, it was time. I ordered the parts from the guy on E-Bay listed above, they are super nice and fit perfectly. Half the price of the Yanmar elbows and stainless rather than cast iron like the originals.

I did the port side first because it is tougher to get to, and I have not been watching it as closely as the stb side. I was shocked to find that the dry elbow was rusted all the way through, 360 degrees, just below the v-clamp. The mixer elbow was just sitting on top of it. I'm amazed it didn't blow soot all over the ER.

Even with the better deal on the parts it's an expensive job. Hopefully I get a lot of years out of these.

Hey David,

I'll pull that clamp next time I am down at the boat. You were right, the v-clamps were super easy. Do you think I should pull the water inlet on the mixer and look in there as well?

It is obscene to me that the dry elbow is $730 from yanmar. It is just an elbow, not at all complex. When replacement time rolls around is it possible to replace that dry elbow with something else? I've seen synthetic elbows for under $200, they have the added advantage of no rust, but they obviously wouldn't fit the v clamps and the bracket. Is it possible to engineer a system that doesn't use that dry elbow?

Thanks,
Doug

Maybe the dealer has jacked up the price on you. Call the distributor and insist that he tell you what the suggested retail price is.

Back
Top Bottom