Amazon Kindle e-Books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stubones99

Guru
How many of you boaters use Amazon Kindle e-books?

I have found that some that know about them, love them.

Meanwhile, the rest think you have to buy a reader to read a book???

Not true; Any tablet, smart phone, laptop, desktop, etc. can have a e-book reader app installed and be used to read books (and manuals).

Some say, it isn't a good fit for books with pictures... Statistically, more people use a laptop/desktop/tablet to read their books than the dedicated kindle readers. So, that blows the argument that books with pictures won't look good on an e-book format. If you browse the kindle bookstore, you'll see lots of books that say better on large screen readers, and this means it has color photos and such.

Yes, the dedicated kindle readers are very handy, but do limit the graphics quality, and black and white but have an advantage of very long battery life.

There are drawbacks to e-books.

You can't pass it on once you're finished reading it...
You have to have power on your device to read a book.
An e-book often costs more than a used paperback.

I've converted over 60 out of print books to Amazon e-book format and wanted to share what I've learned in the process, if anyone is interested.

It's a fairly simple task to take a book text and convert it to an e-book. In some cases, we no longer had the original text files and had to scan them in and perform an OCR and proof the resulting text, then convert it to e-books.

Once you get an e-book done, upload it to Amazon's KDP and for no monthly costs, you can sell your book(s) to the e-book public and get a commission for each sale. From then on, you get a check at the end of the month for the copies sold.

Many of you boaters have the knowledge of particular areas and probably have photos that could be used to make a local cruising e-book. I think that would be a fun project if I were still aboard.

If you guys and gals have questions or comments, let me know!

Thanks!
Stu

I actually enjoy reading e-books on my iPhone.

I have a kindle and the apps - though I find reading on a backlit display fatiguing (I also look at a screen a lot of the day so that might be part of it).

I would say I use it infrequently - mostly while traveling to save valuable packing space (I like to travel very light) just because for cost/accessibility/versatility paperback seems to win out for me. Also, at this point in my life I'm reading a lot of specialized/medical texts which just don't lend themselves to the format and I like being able to plop a book down at the coffee shop around the corner to study without messing about with laptop/wifi/etc.

We only buy books when it's not available on Kindle or something of value as a collectible. Everything else we have is Kindle. You can read them on your phone, your tablet, your laptop, or your desktop computer. Think you can't see the pictures or detail, then throw it up on your 60" tv monitor.

While at it, I'll toss CD's into the conversation as well. We're not quite as far along there but rapidly moving to all music digitally saved and cloud stored so we can download or access it from anywhere on anything.

4 years now. If you have Amazon Prime, there are thousands of free books. Also hundreds of thousands of free books from other sources like the Guttenberg project and others. I read about 3-5 books a week so the free ones are great. I don't use my kindle but my tablet and phone now.

A few years ago, before book readers were so common, friends were starting a multi year cruise. She had a new Kindle reader and I asked what she liked about it. She replied that she read about one book a week and planned to be gone for about three years. "Where on earth could I put all those books on a small boat?"

We only buy books when it's not available on Kindle or something of value as a collectible. Everything else we have is Kindle. You can read them on your phone, your tablet, your laptop, or your desktop computer. Think you can't see the pictures or detail, then throw it up on your 60" tv monitor.

While at it, I'll toss CD's into the conversation as well. We're not quite as far along there but rapidly moving to all music digitally saved and cloud stored so we can download or access it from anywhere on anything.

I moved all my CD's to MP3 years ago, and as a result have about 50 gigs of music. I have started using MKV to backup my DVD collection as well.

Since hard drives are so cheap now, I keep all of it on a seagate USB drive, and my desktop computer. On a boat, you might want a local copy in the event you're not covered by decent wifi...

Many TV's support DLNA which lets you have a media server on some stand-alone hard drives, or a DLNA server on your PC. Then all your DVD's are available without a disc.

I noticed the ROKU 3 & 4 boxes now have support for server based media. I don't know if they are DLNA compliant or not though.

We have tablets and laptops, that we use. Last year went to a server (12vdc), now have about 9G's of movies, books, manuals, pictures, and music. Can read/ watch on all (even the TV)! Use a WD TV live device to connect to TV ( like the ROKU, but out way before). Nice about it, can go from house to truck or boat. Use our phone's as a WIFI router then everyone can watch or read what they want. My wife has about 10,000 e-books and adds more every week....

I got a Kindle Fire a few years back and download books through Overdrive because (a) they're free and (b) I'm cheap. I opened up an account through our local library. Through their website I can access Overdrive and the thousands of titles they have.

Once I download the book I want via a wireless connection I have the book for up to 18 days after which it disappears from my Kindle. If I want a book that isn't available at the time it goes on my Overdrive "bookshelf" and when it becomes available I get an email from Overdrive that it's ready to download.

I've only bought a few books (usually reference type books) because once I've read a book I don't go back and re-read it again.

I go through about 2 books a week now and love it because the price is right and, did I mention that I'm cheap?

My wife uses her's extensively. On a Nexus 7 Android tablet it's a bit problematic in a sunny cockpit. A new paperwhite Kindle for Christmas should solve that problem!

A Nook , and a library card her gets 2 weeks of up to 20 books (or books on tape) for a $10.00 annual fee.

The joy is the internal lighting allows night reading , with no hassles from the bride.

250 books + so far .

I've used a Kindle Reader for my IPhone, IPad, and computer. The most valuable book on it is the Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual. You can also include PDF documents in the Kindle Reader, but I have put all my boat manuals and drawings on Google Drive so no matter where I update or add to them, they are available on all the devices.

Tom

My wife and I have Kindles and use them for virtually all our reading other than magazines, and reference and coffee table-type books. We also have Kindle apps on our iPads and phones but never use them for several reasons.

One, their battery life is very short compared to a Kindle. Two, a backlit screen gets wiped out by bright surroundings, particularly sunlight, where a Kindle screen simply gets easier to read. I've been on planes where when a passenger raised their window blind it completely wiped out a nearby passenger's tablet screen while passengers with real books or Kindles got an even better "picture."

Three, a tablet is just a bit too large and awkward to hold comfortably in bed.

I've had six books published to date and periodically I get asked if they are available for e-readers/tablets. They aren't, partly because two of them are coffee-table formats with lots of very high quality photos (not by me:)) and a very "designed" format. A big part of the appeal and desirability of these two books is their physical presence. They simply would not have the same impact on the readers they are aimed at as an e-book.

The other ones are very illustration-intense and this and their page formatting would not translate well into an e-book format. So say the publishers, anyway, and I'm inclined to agree with them.

The book I am currently working on, on the other hand, is "just" a book. Perhaps one line drawing in the front and that's it. So if it ever sees the light of day, it would be well suited for e-book distribution.

We have Android tablets, and use Google Play Books, Kindle books, Nook book, and e PDF reader. Partly because we find some books are available through one system and not another (Chapman's, for example).

We've been downsizing our physical library at home, and first choice for all new (to us) books is e-format of some sort.

And I've converted about 2/3rds of our boat library -- manuals, docs, brochures, etc. -- to e-format, mostly by crawling the web for softcopies. One of my winter projects is to scan the remaining "boat doc" paper.

The 7" tablet seems better for virtual "paperbacks," and the 10" format seems better for virtual "hardbacks" and magazines, esp. those with illustrations. Color is especially useful for illustrations.

We also have a 12" Win10 tablet, but haven't experimented with that too much yet, except for yet another copy of boat docs....

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom