Engine Hour Meter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gbrides

My engine hour meter has stopped working at about 2500 hours. My engine is a Ford Lehman 135 Sabre. I have the meter out from the dash and would like to send it some place for diagnosis and a possible fix. My guess is that one of the plastic gears inside the unit has become worn. Anybody know where I can send it?
Thanks, George

Never heard of anyone fixing one. Make a note in your engine log of the hours and install a new one.

Check voltage to make sure there's power. I found one of mine that had a wire unplugged from the clip connector. I reconnected it and it's been just fine for about the past 500 hrs.

Depends on what kind of hour meter it is, how it is activated; might not be the gauge itself. On anything gauge related, my go-to place is Lauderdale Speedometer, who fixes as well as sells all sorts of gauges and knows boats. Give 'em a call!

https://lspeedo.com/

My engine hour meter has stopped working at about 2500 hours. My engine is a Ford Lehman 135 Sabre. I have the meter out from the dash and would like to send it some place for diagnosis and a possible fix. My guess is that one of the plastic gears inside the unit has become worn. Anybody know where I can send it?
Thanks, George

Here's how to and where you can order the gear if it's a VDO tach. I rebuilt ours. Thanks to Dave Frye on m/v Fryedaze, a TF member who put the how to PDF together.

http://www.odometergears.com/documentation/Hour_Meter_How_To_Repair.pdf

Odometer Gears - Hour Meter (VDO) - All

Last edited:
Thanks, George

Have you tried a web search? Mine might be different from yours (Volvo) but I sent mine to a place in North Carolina and they fixed it. If I can find the name of the place I'll post it later.

Most engine hour meters are powered by the "ignition" wire from the starter or engine on switch. This is the same switch that powers the engine's oil pressure, etc. gauges. So first check for voltage at the meter terminals when that switch is on. If not then trace the wire back and fix it.

If it is not power, then I would just replace it. Amazon has round, rectangular, and hexagonal meters for $10-15.

David

Never heard of anyone fixing one. Make a note in your engine log of the hours and install a new one.

Yup...and if you want the hours to be correctly indicated on the new meter, just hook up to a 12v source until you get there...

20141231_124444-vi.jpg

8760hrs in a year. Will take 3.4mo to get to 2500.

Heard Lauderdale speedo can set hours on some meters. Probably quicker that way.

Back
Top Bottom