bow thruster maintance on marine trader

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian B

Vessel Name
Kindred Spirts
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 34 Trawker
folks, just purchased this boat, and wondering how to maintain the bowthruster. Brian B, new owner

Use it!

What kind? Electric, hydraulic, water jet? What brand?

Once again I point out we are not mind readers here. :D

Get the book out, it will tell you. Now, when we're the zincs last changed?

Wow .... baptism by fire. Don't worry you'll get used to it. Just give some more info and you'll get some more considered responses.

You guys are brutal. I just took my new to me Marine Trader 34 out for my first solo spin before I winterized her. I have a Vetus bow thruster. I had never used one before and definitely needed it with the gusting wind.

Mine is pretty simple, push left to move bow to port, right fit starboard. I just took it out and practiced doing spins and Justin's effect in conjunction with the normal steering.

Pretty straight forward on mine.

Vetus, via Florida Bow Thruster, provides excellent phone and parts support on all their models, including my who-knows-how-old "Bow Propellor".

You guys are brutal. I just took my new to me Marine Trader 34 out for my first solo spin before I winterized her. I have a Vetus bow thruster. I had never used one before and definitely needed it with the gusting wind.

Mine is pretty simple, push left to move bow to port, right fit starboard. I just took it out and practiced doing spins and Justin's effect in conjunction with the normal steering.

Pretty straight forward on mine.

I believe he is asking how to maintain it. Not how to use it.

I'm not trying to be brutal. But there is no way to answer a vague question. :D

Assuming it is electric you should do all the maintenance you would do on any electric motor. Inspect and blow some compressed air over the brushes, clean the battery terminals on both ends, inspect for excess corrosion or evidence of overheating. Normal battery maintenance and make sure the zincs have been replaced recently.

Most bow thrusters have pretty enormous (comparatively) DC electric motors so your "high yield" maintenance as we say is going to be in making sure the electrons can get from the battery to where you need them as effectively as possible. Resistance=Heat=Thermal Shutdown=Potentially Embarrassing Docking Experience.

If it is hydraulic, well, I don't even know what one of those buggers looks like.

Assuming it is electric you should do all the maintenance you would do on any electric motor..yada yada

All that + the gearbox. Check and top-up fluids if low..

We have a Vetus bow thruster. There is an external oil reservoir mounted about 3' above the unit. Who ever did the original install used cheap rubber hose. We were lucky we didn't loose all the oil.

folks, just purchased this boat, and wondering how to maintain the bowthruster. Brian B, new owner
Okay > that gives me a few things to look for. I spent the fall ,sanding down below the water line, to paint in the spring . I`m hoping to get at the bow thruster to check it out. Yes it`s electric . once I know the make I`ll look up on line a manual .

Be sure to apply appropriate signs, if not already there, to warn one of those thruster propellers.

Mark, I have often wondered why there are signs warning of a propellor at the bow, but never at the stern. It seems to me that the bow propellor is the more obvious one, especially if it is electrically operated, as not only can you see the flow of propwash, usually from most angles, but the infernal racket of those things will wake the dead. At the stern, there is frequently very little visible wash if in reverse, and no change in the engine tone when put into gear, so the uninitiated might not notice the turning propellor.

Seems unnecessary, IMHO.

If you are a freighter and your thruster is as large as a Buick, I can see the reason for a sign, to warn small boats and jetski riders (hmmm...) from getting sucked in. As the average trawler's bow thruster is barely strong enough to suck the pickle off a ham sandwich, a label like that one is just some kind of conceit.

I hate bow thrusters... that's my conceit.

.... As the average trawler's bow thruster is barely strong enough to suck the pickle off a ham sandwich...
Not heard that one. Polite expression here,heard in the auto trade "would not pull the skin off a rice pudding". After that, expressions used are only fit for OTDE.

Mark, I have often wondered why there are signs warning of a propellor at the bow, but never at the stern. It seems to me that the bow propellor is the more obvious one, especially if it is electrically operated, as not only can you see the flow of propwash, usually from most angles, but the infernal racket of those things will wake the dead. At the stern, there is frequently very little visible wash if in reverse, and no change in the engine tone when put into gear, so the uninitiated might not notice the turning propellor.

Seems unnecessary, IMHO.

One would be most in danger on the opposite side of the propwash.

Suppose signs on the stern are unnecessary because there will be propellers presumably located there with or without a thruster.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom