View Single Post
Old 12-12-2015, 12:52 PM   #96
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
Our last post focused on our desire to find a boat with a Pilothouse which raised the question of "life without side decks". Our time living aboard trawlers included two boats w/o and one with side decks. We factored this experience in our decision to proceed with a boat w/o side decks. While everyone is aware of the pro's & con's, our decision was based on prioritizing interior space over ease of access around the salon exterior. It should be noted that as long as the pilothouse has port and starboard doors providing access to the exterior, upper deck and to the bow this design works well. The only time we have an issue is during the mooring process and having to walk the mooring line aft from the bow. On our N40's there was enough of a side deck lip (6") to walk the line while holding on the roof edge. Granted I was ten years younger but I still don't see this as an issue today. On the Helmsman 38PH it also provides a enough area to side step along while holding onto the roof top lip. We may add a low profile hand rail along the salon roof edge for a little extra security but that would be our only enhancement.

We also found docking not to be an issue since Mary would handle the stern line and step off the boat from the aft deck side boarding door while I control the boat. If there is a need for me to assist I would jump (not a big jump) from the pilothouse side deck onto the dock with the bow line.

In the end everything is a trade-off, but when you consider the amount of time spent inside the boat (saloon / galley) versus times mooring, giving up the side decks on a boat this size is a no brainier.

John T.
John I appreciate your desire for large interior roominess. However, (no matter a person's age) age can play "tricks" that suddenly develop upon several body mechanical portions as well as inner ear equilibriums. I respectfully recommend that as your boat is constructed you and the architects/builders plan into the layout solid ways to make it easy as possible to accomplish anchoring/docking/mooring/tow-line/fender placements.

Keep up the great posts!

Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote