Storm Warning.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xsbank

Guru
Vessel Name
Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Make
Custom Aluminum 52
Supposed to blow 55 here tomorrow, that should get the last of the stretch out of the mooring lines. This has been the windiest year that I can remember since I used to live in Prince Rupert in the '70s.

Was going to abandon ship tomorrow for the first Xmas festivities but now it looks like I'd better stay here a bit longer. Gee, that's awful.

We have been watching the BC weather from our winter base in Indio California, hoping for lots of rain, to fill our well after the dryest summer ever, but calm winds. It is upsetting to think that there will be a 55 knot breeze across your docks That represents enough force to knock down lots of power lines as well as stretching out your dock lines. Hopefully your forecast is for the exposed light at Cape Mudge and your actual across the dock wind will be neglegible.

This has been the windiest year that I can remember since I used to live in Prince Rupert in the '70s.
My wife and I have been boating in this area since 1987 with the purchase of our first boat together, a 17' Arima which we still have. We've been cruising with the cabin cruiser since 1998. And I-- and then we-- have been flying floatplanes in this region since 1979.

While there have been plenty of windstorms during all those years, it seems to me that the last four or five years have been windier overall than any of the previous years, particularly in the winter.

It's not just us that's been noticing this, either. A number of members of our boating club have expressed the same observation, usually linking them to complaints about how they used to take cruises all through the winter, spend Christmas or New Years in the islands (as have we) and so on.

But the last few years most of these plans have had to be cancelled due to wind.

We and the yard we use have been dealing with a particularly challenging problem with our cabin cruiser that has required it to be hauled out four times so far over the past couple of months. Every time it goes back in the water we and the yard need to take it out into the bay for a test run. It's been challenging finding the days for this between the un-ending parade of storms that have been marching through. Winds in our harbor have frequently been in the 35-45 mph range with gusts higher than that.

I suspect it's all the fault of that pesky climate that's insisted on changing since day one of this planet despite the whining of us humans who, to the climate and the forces that control it, are probably as interesting and significant as pond scum is to us.

If the trend keeps going, perhaps it will be time to revisit the notion of getting a sailboat since it appears there's going to be plenty of power for it.:)

I'm thinking something like the boat pictured below would be perfect. It's the first sailboat my wife was on under sail and we both enjoyed the hell out of it. I think we could make it work in these waters very nicely. It's even got twin engines for those increasingly rare days when the wind's not blowing, so I don't have to violate my self-imposed rule of never, ever owning a single engine boat. We'll have to get a larger slip, though.....

Attachments

• Bluenose II.jpg
    Bluenose II.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Flew commercial yesterday over Straits of Juan de Fuca. Yes it has been windy. with forecast 45 knot SW gusts on the water below us. Saw several freighters taking green water over their bows with lots of slewing around.in the following seas. Two days before we got quite a ride on Haro Straits in gale force winds. As usual in these types of conditions, the radio had many calls of guys in trouble. But it was warm, well low 50s anyway.

Yup, its winter in the PNW with another big storm headed Kevin Sanders way and 40 foot seas forecast for Dutch Harbor area.

Flew commercial yesterday over Straits of Juan de Fuca. Yes it has been windy. with forecast 45 knot SW gusts on the water below us. Saw several freighters taking green water over their bows with lots of slewing around.in the following seas. Two days before we got quite a ride on Haro Straits in gale force winds. As usual in these types of conditions, the radio had many calls of guys in trouble. But it was warm, well low 50s anyway.

Yup, its winter in the PNW with another big storm headed Kevin Sanders way and 40 foot seas forecast for Dutch Harbor area.

Yep, this is the time of year that it's just flat dangerous allot of the time out there.

But I am snug as a bug in a rug at a new Gas field called Point Thomson Alaska, and then will be exploring sunny Arizona looking at the snowbird possibilities.

The boat is tied up with a boat watch service, and the alarm system untill the weather breaks in March. The house is safe with a house sitter so we can travel a bit and avoid the worst of the cold. :)

Yep, this is the time of year that it's just flat dangerous allot of the time out there.

But I am snug as a bug in a rug at a new Gas field called Point Thomson Alaska,
:)

Not much for protection from the wind up there, Kevin, once you step outside. Maybe a polar bear to snuggle up with. Stay warm.

Winds out of the east at 6-8 knots. Temperatures were 85 degrees. Here in Florida we are in full winter mode.

Pgitug...are you at Lashley?

The worst year in recent memory for us was the 2006 storm year that wiped thousands of trees in Stanley Park. It wasn't quite as bad in Lions Bay that day, but we had a storm the previous week that toppled trees in our neighbourhood and the power was out for 5 days. Yesterday was pretty benign by comparison. I still remember the 1962 hurricane. That was nasty. Trees down everywhere.

Aka, the Columbus Day storm or Typhoo Freda.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_Day_Storm_of_1962

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Well we lost a large limb off our gum tree this morning, fell between the barn and the fence, just missing my truck. Fortunately no damage, and it's conviently located right at my fire wood pile. We're getting gusts into the 50's, I'm going to pull it out in a few minutes with my truck to take any pressure off the barn siding. Then down to check the boat. Still have my canvas up. Probably should come down before it gets taken off.

Back
Top Bottom