Private flags, and what about the national ensign?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Anyone have a private flag?* Anyone pro- or anti-private flag out there?* And why?* Why not spend a bit of $$ and act like a Rockefeller (he had a private flag?) or whoever?* And it seems like few fly their national ensign.* Why not?

markpierce wrote:

Anyone have a private flag?* Anyone pro- or anti-private flag out there?* And why?* Why not spend a bit of $$ and act like a Rockefeller (he had a private flag?) or whoever?* And it seems like few fly their national ensign.* Why not?
Mark, we fly our US flag and either club or squadron pennant on the bow.* When we are cruising 25-27 knots we take them in as they would shortly be in tatters.* Because we cruise in international waters sometimes, we do not fly the yacht or Power Squadron Ensign at the stern.

We fly the national ensign every time we go out. And an extra large one on the 4th of July.

My wife is making us a private flag. The design is a blue field with a White-tailed Tropic Bird in flight. I used to see these seabirds in Hawaii when we were out fishing off the north shore of Oahu. In fact they were one of the means we used to locate gamefish.* We called them "mahi mahi" birds since they often followed mahi mahi around.

But it was when I directed a film on Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean that I really got to love the look of these birds.* It is the national bird of Reunion.

My father was French, Reunion is an overseas department of France, Jean-Francoise de La Perouse was French, and for awhile in the later 1700s*he was the naval commander in charge of Reunion Island. So the bird seems appropriate for our flag.

This photo of a Red-billed Tropic Bird is what the flag is patterned after.

We also fly our yacht club pennant from the jack staff on the bow pulpit.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 26th of January 2011 10:58:44 PM

Attachments

• tropicbird 3.jpg
    tropicbird 3.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 80
We fly the Stars and Stripes from the stern....and the BOC on the bow!!!

Marin wrote:

My wife is making us a private flag. The design is a blue field with a White-tailed Tropic Bird in flight. I used to see these seabirds in Hawaii when we were out fishing off the north shore of Oahu. In fact they were one of the means we used to locate gamefish.* We called them "mahi mahi" birds since they often followed mahi mahi around.
Sounds enchanting.* Please show the artwork for*your private*flag.

-- Edited by markpierce on Wednesday 26th of January 2011 11:20:45 PM

It's basically the same as the photo only without the shading in the white or the red bill.

Moonstruck wrote:Mark, we fly our US flag and either club or squadron pennant on the bow.* When we are cruising 25-27 knots we take them in as they would shortly be in tatters.*
One wonders how our US*Navy and Coast Guard can afford flying our national colors.* What fabrics and manufacturing techniques keep flags from tearing themselves apart?* Suggested manufacturers?

Marin wrote:

It's basically the same as the photo only without the shading in the white or the red bill.
Enchanting.

Mark--- Our boat doesn't go near as fast as Don's but the flags and pennants do get whipped around on windy days. We bought our flag from a marine supplier in Seattle (a local store, not a West Marine-type place). Unfortunately I have no idea who made the flag but it was a standard supplier. We've been flying the same flag for twelve years plus and it's held up fine. We only put it up when we actually go out.* There are some good flag suppliers on the internet, too.

I did steal a trick I observed when filming on board the USS Constellation a number of years ago. Their flags and signal pennants had a line sewn into the hoist of the flag with a metal ring at each end. The flag halyards had clips on them and they had a ready stock of short "separator" lines with clips at each end. So the tension on the flag or pennant was on the line, not on the hoist of the fabric itself. And by using the clips and rings, flags could be attached or removed quickly and by using the short separator lines a series of signal flags could be clipped together and hoisted very fast.

We have a small version of these lines and rings attached to the hoists of our flags and our flag halyards have clips on the ends. If we want to stack a series of flags we use little karabiners to connect the hoists of the flags together.

The Scottish flag in the photo does not have the line*with rings*sewn into the hoist because we'd just bought it in honor of a guest we had on board for a week's cruise in the Gulf Islands. (His wife is French, hence the middle flag.)* The French and Canadian flags both have the hoist lines.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 26th of January 2011 11:44:57 PM

Attachments

• flags.jpg
    flags.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 86
Flags on the USS Midway.* Looking good.

232323232%7Ffp538%3A7%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3B2968288336nu0mrj

We use the Gadsten flag as our National flag at the stern.

And a Comissioning Pennant at the bow.(50stars on a blue field.)Obama uses 57

No real place to fly the Brotherhood of the Coast flag on a lobster boat.

Mark, you may not be able to see it in the avatar picture, but Moonstruck has 2 antennae.* The flag* on the starboard antenna is the Bahama*courtesy flag.* I had a swallow tail pennant private signal that we would fly off the port antenna.* On your Coot you may have a mast and*spreaders with a hoist.* That is a great way to fly flags.*

Moonstruck wrote:

...* On your Coot you may have a mast and*spreaders with a hoist.* That is a great way to fly flags.*
Each spreader, port and starboard, will have a flag hoist.

We designed*our "Reefdrifter" private flag*and it flies at the mast and a matching burgee that flies at the bow whenever*we go out unless the wind is wipping them too hard.* The US flag also flies very proudly at the*stern whenever we get underway.* My daughter has a alteration business at her home, so we had her sew the flags for us.* If anyone needs a flag sewn, you can PM me and I will get you the information for you to get pricing.* We had ordered a burgee for about $20.00 from a company on-line but it faded in just a few weeks to a point that did not look good so we had our daughter sew the one shown.* The material is very durable and is holding the color.*

Attachments

• 100_9268.jpg
    100_9268.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 100_0942.jpg
    100_0942.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 100_9139.jpg
    100_9139.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 84
We fly our private flag on the bow staff.

It shows two geese in flight and a white rose.

It means taking the time to enjoy our travels together.* JohnP

Attachments

• dsc03426.jpg
    dsc03426.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 103
JohnP wrote:

We fly our private flag on the bow staff.

It shows two geese in flight and a white rose.

It means taking the time to enjoy our travels together.* JohnP

John,Very creative, I like it.

Back
Top Bottom