Impressive Filtering on Knight & Carver Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

refugio

Guru
Vessel Name
Lulu (Refugio sold)
There's a 1982 Knight & Carver trawler with twin 3208s and two 20kw generators for sale in California for $250K. I'm not in the market, but K&C is one of the quality builders that I like to see images from because I might see something new. Here is the filter setup - I don't know that I can follow everything, but it appears that the fuel runs through a Racor, a polishing pump, another high capacity filter, another high capacity filter, and a commercial style totalizer. I'm guessing that the hand pump in the upper right is for remotely draining engine oil (must be a valve prior to select sump). And that maybe all those filters on the bottom are for the generators.
KnightCarverFilters.jpg

Looks like a fuel transfer setup to me. The hand pump is/was in case the electrics fail.

The lower filters are for the mains and gensets.

Looks like a fuel transfer setup to me. The hand pump is/was in case the electrics fail.

The lower filters are for the mains and gensets.
I think you're right about the fuel transfer (and polishing). If that hand pump is connected to the fuel line (after the filters), perhaps it's for siphoning off small amounts via the stub. Now that I look at it again, I see a stub coming out the top as well - so perhaps it's not in service.

Looking again I don't see any valve manifold for different tanks. So it may just be a polishing system.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom