A Set Back on a Dream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Portuguese

Guru
Vessel Name
Rainha Jannota
Vessel Make
Curruira 46
" An idea is like a virus, resilient, highly contagious. The smallest seed of an idea can grow. It can grow to define or destroy you." Inception, 2010"

A fellow trawler owner wanted to show the world what is going on with the Antarctic environment. The Weather came hard on him! 65' steel trawler Mar Sem Fim (Endless Sea)

Attachments

• marsemfim1.jpg
    marsemfim1.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 263
So, what happened, was he stuck there till next Spring's thaw? ... was he helicoptered out?

Googled name...2012...crushed in ice...sunk...

The ice, from a storm never forecast, crushed the hull.

Designed by Nils Helleberg of the John Alden office, built in aluminum with apparently no thought to high-latitude or ice navigation. It should come as no surprise Antarctica is a wild place, just lucky they were anchored right in a settlement that had the ability to take the crew off the boat.

Designed by Nils Helleberg of the John Alden office, built in aluminum with apparently no thought to high-latitude or ice navigation. It should come as no surprise Antarctica is a wild place, just lucky they were anchored right in a settlement that had the ability to take the crew off the boat.
:thumb:

Having been to the Arctic and Antarctic on USCG Icebreakers...not sure I would want to go back to either on anything less....

Sure there are quick in and outs to the outskirts of these latitudes...but to go there in that type of vessel shows a complete lack of understanding....

For such a harsh environment, I'd want s more robust rudder design, and more protection for the props.

Conall

Should be: Gelo Sem Fim
Sad ending, looks like it was a nice vessel

The owner may have believed Mr. Gore's predicted scenario about the climate. Didn't he predict the north pole ice cap would have disappeared by 2012?

I am not worried about the guy. I am sorry about the boat. What a loss

Back
Top Bottom