New Ranger 31 on the Chesapeake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BayRetriever

Vessel Name
Retriever
Vessel Make
Beneteau 40 (now), Ranger 31 (2016)
Hey ya'll.

I'm a soon-to-be-former sailor looking to sell my Beneteau 40 and take in a new Ranger 31 next spring. While I love sailing, I'm still in my mid-40's - years from retirement - and I find most of my free weekends (or week-long cruises in the summer) are spent with the engine on at 6.5kts just trying to get to the next destination. Cruising at 16kts - and reducing my draft from 5'3 to 2'4 - opens up my cruising grounds enormously.

I know Rangers are small and light - got it. For the most part I'm "stuck" on the Chesapeake and don't need a heavy trawler for another decade or more. I've done the ditch from Norfolk to Key West and know the little Ranger would do just fine on that route (much more expeditiously and worry-free than my 5'3 draft, 63'-masted sailboat, actually).

I know I can get "more boat for less money" used, but again I'm still working, so would rather spend my free time on the water vice keeping an older boat up to par. I guess I just wanted to introduce myself, see who the other Ranger folks and/or Chesapeake cruisers are - and if you know of anyone in the market for a great lookin' 2008 Beneteau 40 on the Chesapeake then lemme know!

:)

- Brian

Brian, welcome to TF. It sounds to me as if you have done your homework and come to decisions that suit what you want. Good job. Too many people fall in love with a boat without doing their homework first and end up buying the wrong boat for them.

Now we have to tell you that we have one basic rule here on TF. If you don't post pictures, it didn't happen.

Just sayin'.

Welcome to the forum Brian! Congratulations on the new boat (no pics it doesn't exist)!

Ted

Welcome....Plenty of X-Chesapeake cruisers (and sailboaters) here... Sounds like a good plan to me. My last boat was a Bristol 35.5 out of Rock Hall. We plan to drag our little trawler back up there next summer for some deja vu...

BayRetriever, it sounds like a sound plan. Being 2-plus decades older than you, I'm on my last boat and first "recreational trawler" but still happily moving at 6+ knots.

I have a Ranger 27. Also a former sailor. I cruise the south shore of Long Island and I am 3 years away from retirement. My cruising grounds in retirement will be Charlotte Harbor. The Ranger Tug is perfect for that, IMO. The R31 has more room then the R27, but my budget didn't go that high. I have spent 2 weeks on the boat with the Admiral and we still like the boat. I plan on taking the boat down the ICW all the way to the West Coat of Florida. The good thing is, if I decide against the trip half way down, I can have it towed to Florida. I have it for 2 seasons now and it is a very dependable boat. The engine access could be better, but many boats can say that.

I've seen that boat at boat shows and it's a nice boat. Have fun.

Thanks all. Sounds like folks want pics - the Ranger hasn't even started production yet. However, this is my Beneteau a few week ago off Dobbin's Island. With the Ranger I'm hoping I can beach it - take the dogs ashore - and then anchor 100ft off the beach. :)

12389-albums444-picture2567.jpg
[/IMG]

Welcome to the dark side! Best of luck on selling your "other boat"!

That's a sailboat picture!! This is Trawler Forum!!

Here' you go....here's a R31 pic for you to use until yours shows up. We'll pretend it's yours in the meantime. Which one did you order?

Flybridge model:

R31-1.jpg

Non FB model:

31-ranger-tug-for-web.jpg

Glad you found your way to TF. I like your choice in boats. I think the trailerability of the Ranger Tugs is a very tough-to-beat advantage. You could even use it as an RV on your drive to your next launch point.

It must take a heck of a truck to haul it. Do you plan to tow beyond the Chessie?

Boats with pilothouses are attractive to me, and they are practical!

Last edited:
Welcome to the TF group. I keep my Californian 34 on Back River, MD. Maybe we'll cross paths next year. Have great Holiday season

Welcome to the TF group. I keep my Californian 34 on Back River, MD. Maybe we'll cross paths next year. Have great Holiday season

Someone who can keep up with you on the water, Chris! :thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom